“A calm and peaceful oasis” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Bath Priory Hotel

The Bath Priory Hotel
Ranked #10 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Hertfordshire
“A calm and peaceful oasis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We enjoyed a very relaxing one night break here for my partner's birthday. We really liked this hotel because of its setting close to the centre of Bath, its beautiful gardens (despite the very wet weather while we were there!) and the relaxing tranquility that pervaded the whole establishment. Our room was lovely - spacious, nicely furnished and with great views over the gardens. We enjoyed lunch, dinner and breakfast (in that order!) while we were there and thought the food was extremely good, with the possible exception of breakfast where we felt the continental buffet selection was ok but no more than that (due to limited choice). We found the customer service in all areas of the hotel to be first class from start to finish.

There are just four "niggles" which narrowly prevent me from rating this hotel as "excellent". First, the hotel staff, both in writing and in person, addressed me as "Miss" despite the fact that I had never called myself this. I think if a hotel goes to the trouble of wanting to address its guests by name, it's worth making sure the correct title is used - otherwise it rather defeats the object. Second, we were "allocated" a table for dinnner for 7 30 pm and not asked if that time was convenient - leaving the impression that it was "7 30 take it or leave it". Thirdly, it's a long time since we've stayed in a hotel where the shower is in the bath and we think it would be better to make this clear in the room descriptions - particularly as we had one of the premier deluxe rooms. And finally (and most irritatingly!), the safe in our room was located on the top shelf of the wardrobe which meant that I had absolutely no chance of reaching it unless I stood on a chair. That seemed like quite poor design to us. The hairdryer, iron and one or two other items were also stored up there and, although we didn't need any of those items, again I would have had to stand on a chair to reach them had I not had a 6ft tall partner!

Those little niggles in no way detracted from what was a very enjoyable experience - but personally I think it is getting the detail right that makes a hotel truly top notch.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a room with a view over the gardens.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NatashaHertfordshire
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
West London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The staff are such warm, helpful, and friendly people, that they make you feel as though you are "royalty" for the weekend. Unfortuantely, when my wife and I were there, the indoor swimming pool (and sauna) was being refurbished, but I am sure that work must have been completed by now. Nevertheless, the massage facilities, and reflexology in the Spa were second to none. And the food is to die for. Cordon Bleu cuisine at its best. I am sure that a Michelin Star won't be long coming. I see TedJohns in his review mentions about the walk into the city centre. We find the walk dowm to the city quite delightful, but admittedly the pull up the hill, is more than my feet will stand, so the bus from the Guildhall to right outside the hotel is the answer; alternatively taxis are readily available.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the garden. So peaceful and tranquile. I could spent all day, sitting in the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WL_man
Wiltshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Originally due to be staying in a different hotel, we ended up at the Bath Priory after an error caused our original reservation elsewhere to be cancelled. It was all very last minute over the Easter weekend and after much to-ing and fro-ing with the other hotel, I spoke to Alex at the Bath Priory who gave me an excellent rate for the same evening. I could tell the minute I spoke to her that this hotel valued its customers and this was confirmed when we eventually arrived, with all members of staff going out of their way to assist in any way they can. The location is north of Victoria Park, it's a pleasant walk into town but you will possibly need to taxi it back as it's all uphill and a good 15-20 minute walk. They have parking though, which not all hotels in Bath do. The hotel is fabulous, with just the right amount of attention to detail. It feels like staying in a very exclusive private house with excellent service. The room we had (Classic) was lovely and plenty big enough. I ordered a complimentary hospitality tray as no tea/coffee in the room. TV has Sky sports. Great bathroom with separate bath and shower and Molton Brown tolietries.The room had the hugest, most comfortable bed ever. Only complaint was no temperature control, it was very warm in our room even with the windows open. The spa was great and serves light lunches and drinks. There is no jacuzzi but they do have a great steam room and a small pool. Breakfast was delicious. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: A standard Classic room did not feel like the cheap option, you don't need to splash out for a h...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mac7471
Odiham, Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Last week my wife and I stayed at The Priory for the second time, and it was every bit as good as the first - that's why we went back. The customer care at this hotel is nothing short of superb: for instance, our room on the first floor was subject to a good deal of noise from the room above - as if people were deliberately stomping around - and the hotel quickly invited us to move to a different room well away from the noise. I believe we had been upgraded, but of course we were not expected to pay any extra, and all our chattels were taken to the new room on our behalf.

Additionally the attentiveness we received from the restaurant was wonderful. It was my step-daughter's 50th birthday and they provided us with a lovely collection of canapes to accompany our opening bottle of champagne, and didn't object when we went without dessert in order to save some space for the gorgeous cup-cakes that one of our party had brought with them.
Needless to say, the quality of the food in the restaurant was superb, and I would single out the very special bottle of Burgundy and the elegant Chablis which were arranged for us by the hotel's sommelier.

My only mild criticism concerns the fact that the main course took some time to arrive, but this is a very minor point given that as a family party we weren't in a hurry anyway.

Breakfast the following day was also excellent. I don't often get the opportunity to enjoy corned beef hash, and my wife chose eggs benedict - both were delicious.

I'd recommend the Priory with only three reservations. First, you'll need a deep pocket because it's not cheap, but then such hospitality seldom is. Second, though you can get into Bath by walking, it's a long walk, and even longer when you're walking back because it's mostly uphill. Also you have to walk along a quite narrow pavement for a while before you can enter the park and escape traffic fumes. Third, there's not a great deal of parking space in the front of the hotel.

TED JOHNS

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, to avoid any noise from the people above - though the family sui...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TedJohns
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at The Bath Priory for a weekend trip to the beautiful city of Bath.
We were made to feel so welcome and our room was beautifully decorated with lovely views over the gardens. We have stayed at the sister hotel Gidleigh Park at Chagford and so were interested to compare our stay there with Bath.

The food was simply outstanding and could not be faulted. We decided on Saturday night to indulge by complimenting the meal with the 'Wine Flight' which was simply amazing. The somellier explained every wine that he had personally selected with each course and the reasons why. I am no drinker and have limited knowledge of fine wines, but he was pleased to advise and help to educate!

Service and attention to detail at The Bath Priory is just perfect - we agreed that it topped that of Gidley Park which itself is breathtaking and benefits from its wonderful grounds in the countryside. All staff at Bath Priory are friendly and attentive and nothing is too much trouble. It is clear that they take a great pride in what they do and are most professional in every respect.

This really is a perfect place to stay and made a lovely trip to Bath simply wonderful!

When visiting Bath again, I wouldn't wish to stay anywhere else.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review, do visit, I am positive you will have a wonderful time! If you have not yet visited and are hesitant at the price, just remember, we come this way but once and it is worth every penny!

Thank you to all at The Bath Priory, We look forward to coming to stay again.

Stayed January 2012