“PEACE AND QUIET - WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF BATH”
Review of The Bath Priory

The Bath Priory
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Bath
Odiham, Hampshire
“PEACE AND QUIET - WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE OF BATH”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Last week my wife and I stayed at The Priory for the second time, and it was every bit as good as the first - that's why we went back. The customer care at this hotel is nothing short of superb: for instance, our room on the first floor was subject to a good deal of noise from the room above - as if people were deliberately stomping around - and the hotel quickly invited us to move to a different room well away from the noise. I believe we had been upgraded, but of course we were not expected to pay any extra, and all our chattels were taken to the new room on our behalf.

Additionally the attentiveness we received from the restaurant was wonderful. It was my step-daughter's 50th birthday and they provided us with a lovely collection of canapes to accompany our opening bottle of champagne, and didn't object when we went without dessert in order to save some space for the gorgeous cup-cakes that one of our party had brought with them.
Needless to say, the quality of the food in the restaurant was superb, and I would single out the very special bottle of Burgundy and the elegant Chablis which were arranged for us by the hotel's sommelier.

My only mild criticism concerns the fact that the main course took some time to arrive, but this is a very minor point given that as a family party we weren't in a hurry anyway.

Breakfast the following day was also excellent. I don't often get the opportunity to enjoy corned beef hash, and my wife chose eggs benedict - both were delicious.

I'd recommend the Priory with only three reservations. First, you'll need a deep pocket because it's not cheap, but then such hospitality seldom is. Second, though you can get into Bath by walking, it's a long walk, and even longer when you're walking back because it's mostly uphill. Also you have to walk along a quite narrow pavement for a while before you can enter the park and escape traffic fumes. Third, there's not a great deal of parking space in the front of the hotel.

TED JOHNS

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, to avoid any noise from the people above - though the family sui...
1 Thank TedJohns
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Wadebridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at The Bath Priory for a weekend trip to the beautiful city of Bath.
We were made to feel so welcome and our room was beautifully decorated with lovely views over the gardens. We have stayed at the sister hotel Gidleigh Park at Chagford and so were interested to compare our stay there with Bath.

The food was simply outstanding and could not be faulted. We decided on Saturday night to indulge by complimenting the meal with the 'Wine Flight' which was simply amazing. The somellier explained every wine that he had personally selected with each course and the reasons why. I am no drinker and have limited knowledge of fine wines, but he was pleased to advise and help to educate!

Service and attention to detail at The Bath Priory is just perfect - we agreed that it topped that of Gidley Park which itself is breathtaking and benefits from its wonderful grounds in the countryside. All staff at Bath Priory are friendly and attentive and nothing is too much trouble. It is clear that they take a great pride in what they do and are most professional in every respect.

This really is a perfect place to stay and made a lovely trip to Bath simply wonderful!

When visiting Bath again, I wouldn't wish to stay anywhere else.

Thank you for taking the time to read my review, do visit, I am positive you will have a wonderful time! If you have not yet visited and are hesitant at the price, just remember, we come this way but once and it is worth every penny!

Thank you to all at The Bath Priory, We look forward to coming to stay again.

Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Stuthejeweller
Newcastle
Reviewed 11 April 2012

What a lovely place to stay. Very clean, very warm surroundings and excellent staff who really do their job well. This is a real gem of a hotel. Love it !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We didn't stay at the hotel, instead travelling to the Bath Priory for a spa day and dinner. Before dinner we went to the spa area for a swim, jacuzzi, sauna and steam in the steam room. We were shown to the spa area by a rather disinterested but courteous staff member, but the spa staff were very helpful and friendly, happy to show us where things were and how they worked if we were unsure. We were provided with towels and robes, and in the changing rooms there were electronic lockers where you entered a personal PIN number to lock and unlock them, which gave the feeling that our belongings were safe whilst we relaxed.

The pool was lovely and warm, though because the jacuzzi was actually part of the pool it was only two jets of water, one rather weak, and so it was not very effective at all and underwhelming. The sauna was nice, pretty much identical to any other sauna except for the small colour-changing mood-lights in the ceiling which were a nice touch, though only noticeable if you looked upwards. The steam room was beautiful; the entire room (including the seats) was covered in a deep reddy-purple mosaic, which was hot on the skin at first but then comfortable and relaxing, and there were also mood lights in the ceiling.

We left the spa at just after 12 and after wandering around the ground floor of the hotel trying to find the restaurant we grabbed a passing staff member who showed us into the drawing room for a 'pre-dinner drink'. He was rather pretentious, looking us up and down before he ushered us into the drawing room which made us feel slightly self-conscious. We were seated in a large, heavily furnished room, hung with beautiful portraits which were very interesting to look at. After a while, though, it got rather boring, and there was a tense, unfriendly silence in the room. It felt almost like we weren't allowed to speak or that it wouldn't be 'proper'. I was offered a drink and when I politely declined was given a look that said I had somehow crossed a line, which made me feel quite uncomfortable. My daughter, by this point, was bored out of her mind after studying the paintings for a while as there was nothing else to do (remembering that talking felt somehow prohibited). After between 5 and 10 minutes we were served a chilli hummous with some kind of crispy things, which we did not catch the name of because of the waiter's thick French accent. It was average, not particularly nice but not unpleasant.

After another 15-20 minutes we were led into the dining room, which was clean, had a better atmosphere and was very bright (probably as a result of everything being bright white and the large windows letting in lots of light). There was also a guy playing guitar in the corner which was a nice touch. We were introduced to our waitress, Jessica, who was aloof and seemed to not like it when we talked to her, which made us very unsure whether we should thank her or not when she brought out our courses (etc.). However, she gradually loosened up towards the end of the meal and rewarded our thanks with a tentative smile. Before dinner we were served a basket of bread containing three different bread varieties, which was nice, although we didn't actually know what they were because of Jessica's thick French accent and quick way of speaking, which all the staff seemed to possess.

The bread was very nice and swiftly followed by a potato and leek veloute, 'complimentary of the chef'. It had a handmade potato crisp on top and cubes of potato in the bottom, and was served in a beautiful twisty-handled white cup. It was delicious. Our cups were taken away when we finished and then there was a 15-20 minute wait for our starters. Like in the drawing room there was a feeling of needing to be quiet, although it wasn't as bad.

I had the lamb breast with lamb kidney and my daughter had the duck egg with hollandaise and fricasee mushrooms because she didn't like the sound of any other starters. My starter was nice but miniscule, and my daughter's egg was also nice but the hollandaise was almost non-existant.

After another stupidly long wait we received our tiny main courses. I had the roast lamb with roast potatoes and vegetables and my daughter had the wood pigeon with hazelnut couscous and cauliflower puree. The roast lamb had a thick layer of unrendered fat which was disgusting and inedible, the roast potatoes were completely average and there was a ridiculously pitiful amount of vegetables - for example, there were two broad beans. What is the point of two broad beans? My daughter tried the potatoes and lamb and declared that my roast lamb and potatoes are better, and I have to say I agree. My daughter's wood pigeon had a nice flavour but was slightly dry and chewy, but she said that her cauliflower puree and hazelnut couscous was lovely, even if there wasn't enough of it.

And finally, after another long wait, we received our desserts. I had the amaretto and chocolate mousse, which looked beautiful but was a bit of a letdown on taste, and my daughter had the apricot and hazelnut souffle with apricot sorbet which was absolutely gorgeous, possibly the best part of the meal.

A disappointing and unfulfilling dinner was followed by a polite notification from a member of staff that the spa was ready for us and that we could go and have our treatments, which meant that we didn't get our coffee and petit-fours. With a feeling of building excitement we went back downstairs to the spa, and our spirits plummeted when we found out that the ridiculous waits had cost us half an hour of our treatments and we had not been told. If we had we would have left the dinner (as it was a complete disappointment really) and gone to our treatments. We felt disappointed and like we'd lost out.

We filled out some disclaimers and were introduced to our therapists who were lovely, polite and friendly. They took us into seperate rooms and we received a wonderful salt rub and full body mud wrap (for which we chose the salts and muds), then showered, had an extremely vigorous full-body massage, a foot massage and a scalp massage. The whole experience was extremely enjoyable and left us feeling completely relaxed.

The receptionist who took our payment was lovely and helpful, and dealt with our payment extremely well.
Overall, we felt out of place and slightly judged by the restaurant staff, welcomed by the spa staff and completely disappointed with the restaurant's food and service.

Caroline B, Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
I would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding your time in the spa on Sunday, I shall ensure the spa team are made aware of your feedback. I was however, most disappointed to hear that your lunch experience did not meet your expectations.
The majority of our guests do enjoy spending time in our drawing room so we like to allow our guests the time to relax and enjoy the surroundings whilst making their menu selections, we find that this is the same throughout the meal which is why we allow a period of time between each course, we do observe all feedback closely and find the timings are usually pretty spot on.

Sam Moody's food mostly receives wonderful comments from our guests, one trip advisor posting made earlier this week headed up "Spectacular" was written by a guest who enjoyed the same menu as you. This aside, we are naturally sorry that the food was not to your liking and that you thought the portions were insufficent. I was particularly sad to hear that you did not enjoy the service and were unable to relax. Although a handful of our restaurant team are French, there are also several that are English, one of which is Jessica, so I can only apologise on her behalf if her explanations were not made clear to you.

Where I believe we let ourselves down was not adjusting our style of service to your needs and ensuring that service was more timely and being aware of your appointment in the spa. It is not acceptable that we made you late for your treatments, therefore, cutting into the allocated treatment time.

It is always saddening when our guests leave us less than delighted by their experience and although our food and restaurant offering was not to your taste, it would be my greatest wish for you and your daughter to return and enjoy a day in the spa with our compliments

Please do contact me directly and I shall take care of the arrangements for you personally
Springfield
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Deserves 6 not 5 stars! The greetings, the impeccable room, the awesome food and fine dining, the manicured gardens, the spa... not a detail was missed. The cleaning staff check our rooms when we were at appointments. I actually own a national mystery shopper company and so I know a bit about quality. And, typically, traveling with just my daughter, we are treated poorly. But not at the Priory. At dinner we had a beautiful table by the window overlooking cascading gardens instead of a noisy table by the kitchen door which is what normally happens. For every minute of our well earned weekend off, we were treated like queens! I can't imagine anything better. Every detail was not wasted on us! Many thanks the staff! We are both totally rejuvenated!

Caroline B, Manager at The Bath Priory, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
The team are delighted that you rate the Bath Priory with 6 stars, especially bearing in mind what a sharp eye for detail you must have given the company that you own!
Mother and daughter time is so precious so I am so pleased to hear you were treated like queens and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both for a future visit