1,624 results
All reviews art bar ski bar allium restaurant roman baths perfect location manvers street lovely hotel car park train station no air conditioning hotel bar christmas market booked this hotel small room one night stay thermae spa afternoon tea
Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a 2 night break to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary location was good and first impressions were very good our room was good and fairly large and bathroom was good staff all ok. Our breakfast was a let down due to work being done in the dining room we had to go into a dingy cavernous place which was awful if we had known we would not have booked breakfast.when paying my bill on leaving found several items attributed to me which were deleted by the staff member,subsequently found out my sister had ordered and paid for a bottle of prosecco and chocolates to be placed in our room on arrival sadly they never materialised and hence the reason my bill was wrong they had put it on my bill ,my sister had to phone up and have her card reimbursed which all put a dampener on the occasion sadly it could have been a far better experience ,bit of a disappointment all round

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Peter M, Front Office Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Robert,

Thank you for taking the time to write some feedback on your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear that the stay was not to the expectations that you expected when you booked. I understand that our restaurant closure may have caused some disruption to your breakfast and I can only apologise for that.

I have investigated the error with the gift left for you by your sister and I understand the money has been reimbursed. I have passed on your comments to the team and we will work hard to ensure mistakes like this do not repeat.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

As all other reviews state, location is perfect and the staff were very friendly.

However, we had a superior double. And as others have also found, seems like the only superior thing about it was that it was larger than the standard double. Interior was dated and I know the hotel have replied to other comments saying that some of their rooms don’t come with wardrobes....I’m sorry, but anything named ‘superior’ needs more than a rail nailed to the wall with 4 coat hangers! I suggest they change the name to just ‘large double’.

We knew there would be noise as soon as we arrived as we were put at the front of the hotel, ok. Apparently only one corridor of rooms have air conditioning, but I was told on the desk that they don’t promise all rooms have it, so fair enough. But it did say on website that all rooms have an iPad. Ours didn’t and I was told that they are causing more problems than the help they can give, so they’ve taken them out. So they need to take this off their site as this is misleading.

It was clean and relatively comfy, but not superior and therefore not worth the price. Go for a standard, even though I hear they are fairly small.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Peter M, Front Office Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Aimee,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us in Bath. I am glad to hear that the staff and location were highlights of your stay and I will be sure to thank them for there hard work.

Its a shame that the quality and facilities of the room was not to the standard you expected, I will pass on your comments about the Ipads as you are correct and these have been taken from the rooms due to technical trouble.

Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

My husband and I decided to take a belated anniversary trip away to Bath. Having heard some good things about the Abbey Hotel we decided to book, most importantly due to them being dog friendly.

Was a little disappointed to find the Allium restaurant was closed when we arrived. This was never mentioned to us prior to arrival, or on check in for that matter. It was only as I noticed a sign up so this was a little bit of a let down. Anyway, moving on: First night was great, lovely and quiet, the perfect relaxing break we needed from our usual hectic working week! Room was lovely and large, perfect when travelling with the dog. Down side was our room overlooked a breeze block wall, some boarded up windows and an abandoned courtyard, not quite the dreamy view of Bath city I was expecting but I thought this meant it would be quiet so let this go.

Bar food was lovely - as we opted for this due to not being able to dine in the restaurant. Lovely cocktails and quirky decor too.

2nd Day started badly and seemed to continue, we decided to add breakfast onto our room only rate for 1 morning (glad we didn’t add for both!), not worth it! When arriving we had a rude hand put up in our faces by a member of staff, (while we were letting another guest out the door) to be told it was so our room number could be checked so we let this go. We were then walked by a number of ready set tables (clean!) to a dirty table at the back, we were told to wait by this table as it had to be cleaned (yes, we can see this!). A left over cup from a previously used table was transferred to our table which preceded a lengthy wait while bits and pieces to set our table made their way over! Finally we got to sit down, not really sure what the procedure was so made our way over to the now a bit stark cold buffet. We were then asked if we had ordered tea and coffee by the server that brought us to and set up our table so seemed an odd question knowing the answer was no. My husband then innocently asked why we could not have sat on one of the other tables as we came in, I was shocked when the young server rudely laughed in my husbands face to tell him it was not possible as they were expecting large groups - this would have been fine if a number of other couples were not then sat at these tables without hesitation! Hot buffet was a disgrace, with one piece of bacon left... last I checked, I was paying for this!

We got out of the hotel for most of the day following this, returning in the evening to get ready for dinner and found there was a higher than average noise level in the corridors compared to the day prior. Due to a young family checking in next door, we put it down to this. Upon returning from dinner we were tired from a long day but the noise seemed to continue - the hotels public gents toilet was just opposite our room so was very busy, the entrance to “the escape” was beyond our room too so the general traffic of people passing our room just seemed to be relentless. Finally a neighbouring room carrying on loudly between their room and the corridor immediately outside our room was too much. I had to call reception just before 1am, where are the the staff to police this noise!?

Our relaxing break away resulted in us being more exhausted than when we arrived so we got up early to simply head home, forgoing our last morning to explore Bath.

All through check out we waited to be asked how our stay was, which never happened, so my husband had to bring the noise levels up to reception for us to be told “oh we didn’t have a note about that”. Breakfast was taken off as a gesture, given how shocking this experience was on its own, this seemed the least that could be done.

We are not the type to make a scene so we left, not mentioning anything further.

But I am afraid we will not be returning to The Abbey Hotel when returning to Bath as it seemed they just wanted our money with no thought to the customer satisfaction/communication during our stay which many would argue is part of what you pay for...

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Peter M, Front Office Manager at Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and lengthy review on your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that there were parts of your stay which were disappointing and I will of course be looking into the cause of them and how we can prevent these from happening in the future.

During our restaurant refurbishment we have been serving our breakfast in one of our function areas which reduced our capacity and I apologise if there was a wait for your table and we will ensure that this does not happen again. I am glad to hear that your breakfast was taken off your bill as we do not expect guests to pay if it was not to the standard we pride ourselves on providing.

I am glad that the comments about your first night were so positive and I do hope you give us another chance in the future as we are working hard to put these issues right. Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 31 August 2018 via mobile

The Abbey is in a brilliant location but this is not enough to justify the 4 stars and the hefty price. The rooms are tiny and very basic. They have no aircon, wardrobe or refrigerator and they have a tired & worn feel. Our room had dirty carpet and cracks and scuff marks on the walls. It was hot and the only relief provided was a cheap and noisy 20cm plastic fan and an open window onto someone else’s aircon pump!

The hotel staff members are excellent but they are papering over many cracks with there positive attitude.

My advice is come with realistic expectations or look again. A few minute walk to the attractions of Bath might be worth the effort to get a better hotel for the price.

2  Thank Gus L

Dear Gus,

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not to the standard you expected. I am of course glad to hear that the staff were excellent and I will pass on your appreciation to them.

The rooms we have vary in size and style and air conditioning, fridges and wardrobes are not features in the rooms though the details of your room have been passed onto the management and we will look to put right the carpet and wall marks as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your time.

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

Great location right in the centre of bath very near to all attractions, staff were very helpful, polite and friendly. Breakfast was lovely great value. Rooms were nice but our room was at the back of hotel and was a bit noisy. But overall a great hotel to stay in.

Dear Suz,

Thank you for your comments, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will pass on your thanks to the polite and friendly staff. Being a city centre hotel location we work hard to keep noise from the area and our neighbours to a minimum but it cannot be stopped completely at times of the day. Thank you again for your kind words and I hope you have a chance to stay with us in the near future.