“Fantastic historic boutique-style hotel with excellent service”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #17 of 34 Hotels in Bath
Reviewed 6 November 2017

This is the nicest Accor hotel I've stayed at in the UK, and one of my most enjoyable hotel stays in the UK for some time. The hotel exudes class but is unfussy and relaxed. It very much has the feel of a boutique hotel.

The hotel is perfectly located on a gorgeous Georgian square mid way between the city centre and Royal Crescent - ideal for walking- and the building is beautiful.

The reception staff made me feel very welcome and were very accommodating about the requests I made.

I loved my room - a very adequate size, semi four poster (and exceptionally comfortable) bed, and a compact but very nicely decorated and appointed bathroom with good toiletries. The room also had a mini fridge with complimentary water, and a safe.

The bar and lounge areas were relaxing.

I enjoyed my welcome drink and breakfast in Brasserie Blanc - which is very nicely designed and has a good ambiance. I'm not sure why so many reviewers have complained about the breakfast. It isn't a Sofitel spread, but it is a nice breakfast in the style of Hotel du Vin and very appropriate for the boutique feel of the hotel. My scrambled eggs and smoked salmon were lovely.

HOWEVER I noticed that the waitress showed me straight to my table and instructed me to use the buffet - there was absolutely no proactive mention of the cook-to-order menu which was hidden between other literature. This may be a reason why the breakfast attracts complaints. Frankly, it feels like a deliberate ploy to save money and work and if so, it is disingenuous and mean-spirited. The hotel management should ensure that the brasserie staff offer this menu proactively - after all they are paying Blanc's company to provide breakfast and trusting them to help keep their guests happy.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank deeboy
FrancisHotelBath, Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Deeboy

Thank you for posting your lovely Tripadvisor review following you recent visit to The Francis. I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay and your stay was a comfortable one. I was especially pleased with the customer service you encountered and you enjoyed our hospitality.

We thank you for your feedback on the menus for the Brasserie, we have taken this to their management and I hope on your return you will see a change in this as the menus should always be mentioned to you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 5 November 2017

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank N4159HUamandac

Reviewed 5 November 2017

This is not the luxury they they claim. The food and beverage has been let out to Brasserie Blanc who are not used to providing a luxury service. Anyone who has stayed there in the past under the original system will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not use room 129 as the shower is bigger than the rest of the bathroom
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jonandros

Dear Jonandros

Thank you for sharing your experiences of The Francis Hotel following your recent visit. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry to see you did not enjoy the food and beverage, could I please as you to contact me at h6636-gm@accor.com with some more details so I am able to try and rectify the issues you experienced.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

My daughter treated me for my birthday to a night at the Francis. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. Our room comfortable and nicely furnished, and the bathroom was spacious with the benefit of a window. The lighting in the bedroom was deplorable and it was almost too dim to read in. The net curtain was badly torn. I had stayed previously over a New Year in 2005 before the Francis had been taken over by Mecure and the bedroom I was allotted on this occasion was in the attic with both net curtains in tatters! We throughly enjoyed our nights stay and slept very well. The breakfast the following morning was dreadful, very poor selection on the continental breakfast and the hot buffet (sorry mean cold buffet) was not only stone cold but swimming in fat and oil. We did mention this both at the table and later at reception but this was only met with a mumbled apology. I would stay here again but certainly not partake of the breakfast at the price it was charged at!

Stayed: October 2017

Dear jackiea923.

Thank you for passing on your thoughts following your recent stay with us. I'm pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful. I am sorry you did not find the room to be as perfect we like them to be. Please could I ask you to contact me at h6636-gm@accor.com with your room number so we are able to fix the curtain you described.

I am sad to see you did not enjoy your breakfast with us, we are working closely with the Brasserie to improve the breakfast experience and thank you for your feedback as we take the issues you experienced to them.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

We’ve stayed here on 6 occasions now and love it every single time.

Modern rooms, very friendly service and perfect location. Beds very comfortable and rooms have all the mod cons you’d expect. Lovely breakfast too.

Wouldn’t stay anywhere else in Bath!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Lou M

Thank you very much for your fantastic review! I was delighted to read that you found everything to be perfect ( as with previous stays) and you found our location suited your needs. Thank you too for your kind words about our staff.

See you next time you are in town!