“Breakfast”

Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Bath
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Lowdham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I was looking forward to staying at the Francis and seeing how it had been refurbished. I often used to walk by as a child and look in at the granduer! Not keen on the hallway, certainly didn't look Georgian! However I liked the room, nicely decorated, bathroom superb and very comfortable bed. Room on the third floor and quiet.
I felt that it was overpriced and not up to the standard of a 4 star hotel. There was not a warm friendly feel, staff were not very attentive and no one explained about breakfast, we were shown to a table and asked if we wanted tea or coffee, white or brown toast. Then we were left to our own devices. We didn't realise there was an a la carte breakfast menu as it is not put on the tables. I can only think to discourage guests from ordering from it. The young staff in the hotel seemed to be more interested in their social lives than us! That was very disappointing. However at breakfast the next morning there were two very attentive and friendly members of staff. Interesting that they were older than the others. The cooked breakfast was average, My husband described his English breakfast as bland and my pancakes were doughy and cooked in oil that had obviously been used to fry bacon.
Although beautifully refurbished, I do think the young staff need training in customer service. I was disappointed again when I asked if it were possible to reserve a parking space - my husband is still recovering from a tendon op and can't walk too far. I was told that no reservations were possible, it was first come first served so perhaps I could drop my husband off while I parked the car. Unfortunatey I am not insured to drive my husband's car, which I explained, but there was nothing they would do. If I was disabled I would not be staying at this hotel! Luckily there was a space on both days but there was a total lack of sympathy from the staff. It was take it or leave it!
Despite being a disappointing stay, I would try it again because the location is so good, and I would hope that the staff will learn as they go on. I put the lack of friendliness down to a new staff but they just didn't seem to be a team. I hope that will come.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris D
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here at the Francis Hotel Bath. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the room, and the overall look and design of the hotel. My team are consistently given positive reviews regarding their friendliness and attentive manner and I am saddened to read that you experienced poor service at breakfast and it did not reach your expectations. I will discuss this with my F&B Manager. The car park at the rear of the hotel is limited and therefore operates on a first come, first served basis; however, it is possible to reserve a space if you are a blue badge holder. I do hope your husband has recovered from his operation. I genuinely appreciate all feedback and thank you for taking the time to post your views.
Wedmore, Somerset, UK
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We visit Bath regularly and always thought the hotel looked a bit run down & seedy but they have just completed a major refurbishment so my wife booked it for a birthday stay. Everything looks good with new Royal/Roman blue carpets everywhere and comfortable furniture and furnishings all of which make for a pleasant ambience and the staff are very friendly and helpful too. We stayed in a superior room towards the rear and everything was very comfortable, clean & quiet though the duvets were too thick and enormous - main tap in washbasin breaking loose and staff did not seem too concerned or interested when we reported the problem in the morning. Did not stay for dinner but breakfast was excellent in a lovely light dining room even if some of the decor is a bit bizarre. So, worth a stay in a central location, but be prepared for a £15 charge if you use the hotel car park - but then parking in the centre of Bath is always a problem.

Room Tip: Good to ask for room at the rear.
1 Thank Philip050
I am pleased to see that you appreciate the new look of the hotel following the refurbishment and hope you had an enjoyable birthday in Bath. Perhaps we’ll see you next year?

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My wife and i stayed at the Francis for a week. i found the hotel quite plain. The bed was really uncomfortable and VERY squeeky. The location is very handy for the city and also for the parks. the breakfast is very good. However, I think the hotel is overpriced for what is offered. I felt like the staff were still in a learning phase. (in Asia when a new hotel opens ( or is refurbished) they go through a soft opening of about a month to ensure the staff are up to speed)
Basically, a nice 3 star hotel that is sold as a 4 star hotel and without any discounts, so is expensive (average at £ 185 per night, B & B)
I would stay again if the beds were not squeeky and if it was possible to buy on "Wotif" or similar

Room Tip: the cheaper rooms are TINY.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I am so sorry you found the bed in your room to be squeaky; I would be extremely grateful if you could let me know which room you stayed in so we can avoid any other guests being inconvenienced by this: karen.bassett@accor.com. It is such a shame you didn’t speak to a member of staff when you were with us to see if we could move you to an alternative room; especially if you were with us for a week. We are on all the websites such as Wotif, Laterooms etc. If it was not appearing when you made the booking it would suggest that the Hotel was busy on the dates that you stayed.

I do hope you will consider using us again if you are in Bath in the future dn I look forward to hearing from you.

mid wales
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I booked online for one night, just to break a very long journey, knowing that we would be shattered with driving long distance and need a good night's sleep. Unfortunately this is the one thing that we did not get.The hotel looks fabulous from the outside, and the private, secure parking at the rear was reassuring as we had a car full of tools - albeit a bit expensive at £15 a night, on top of the £90 I had already paid for the room.
The reception area and lounge etc shouted 'recent refurb', with a a few choice pieces that looked totally out of place - oversized, faux leather padded chairs, padded and buttoned reception counter (circa. 1970's bar out of 'George and Mildred) etc. Personally would have preferred the decor to stay faithfull to the Georgian lovliness of the building itself, the whole place, was 'overworked' with clashing styles..
However, that said, the room (standard double) was very comfortable, mattress, pillows etc, I cannot fault. The en- suite was modern, clean and offered white fluffy robes and towels on par with more expensive places. I was rather worried though that the bathroom had only one floor to ceiling window with etched glass - no curtain, blind or shutter and I was reticent to stand in front of the window with the light on as we were situated at the front, near and above the main entrance!
As the night drew closer, it became more and more apparent that this was not going to be the quiet night we had longed for. We were situated above 'Brasserie Blanc', part of the hotel, and the music from the restaurant below could be heard clearly, along with the loud tv from the room above. As well as this - the traffic outside was so noisy and the rattling, loose secondary glazing did nothing to help.Wouldn't the overkill refurb design money have been better spent on soundproofing? What's the point of a beautiful room if you can't get any blooming sleep?.
To add insult to injury, we were woken with banging and crashing truck doors, clanking and back and forth, noises. I got up tp look through the window, it was barely 6am. The laundry was being taken away, bags and bags being carried up the stairs from the lower floors, up and down metal covered steps, trolleys filled and loaded and this went on and on and on. Then, as if this was not enough, the trucks arrived with groceries for the brasserie and we went through the whole thing again, but with tomatoes and courgettes instead of bedding. This must have been the noisiest room in the hotel, and we got it!! Avoid 121 at all cost!! So all in all, lovely hotel, comfy room, really good breakfast but no bloo**y sleep!! The receptionist had nothing to say when we told her -'Oh, sorry, that'll be £26 extra please for the parking and the drinks'! was her reply! Would most certainly go back but would insist on room at the rear...

1 Thank TravelBag23
FrancisBath, General Manager at Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 30 August 2012
Thank you for listing your concerns following your stay with us; constructive feedback is always welcomed. I am pleased that you liked the look of the front of the building, however, it is disappointing to read your comments on the internal décor in the Hotel; we have had extremely positive feedback from many of our guests, sadly, it isn’t possible to please everyone and we will pass your comments on to the Designer. We have recently informed the laundry company that we will not accept deliveries at the Hotel before 8.00am and, to date, they have stuck to the agreement; I am sorry you were disturbed by this and other deliveries. If you do return to the Hotel, please ask for a room at the rear when you make the booking. I hope we see you again at some time in the future.

Best wishes