“A hidden delight” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 558 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A landmark dining destination in the historic town of Bath, The Chequers is a beautifully restored gastropub on Rivers Street that has been serving customers since 1776. Offering a slice of local living to visitors from out of town, The Chequers is an elegant escape from the city’s bustling boutiques and is only a short walk from the Circus and the Royal Crescent. Serving a menu of home cooked, local & seasonal food alongside a premium selection of wines, local ciders and real ales, this is a fantastic place to spend an evening over a bottle or two with friends and family. On the menu you’ll find gastropub fare unrivalled in Bath with old pub favourites including their award winning Sunday lunch given a classy makeover. The Chequers restaurant also caters for business meetings and private parties.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“A hidden delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We only found this place via Trip Advisor, as it is off the beaten track slightly, but we are glad that we did.

We booked here for lunch, and while it was quiet it has a good atmosphere. We both ordered a sandwich and chips, which sounds basic but the quality, presentation, and (most importantly) taste meant that we both cleared our plates.

The service was quick and friendly, and I would definitely recommend stopping by if you can

Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Excellent value set lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We were meeting friends in Bath and decided to try this restaurant because we had seen good reviews. We decided to just try the set lunch menu which was excellent. When we return to Bath we will visit again and this time try the a la carte menu.

• Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Best roast dinner I've ever eaten!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

My daughter and I decided to book our Easter Sunday lunch at The Chequers. I can honestly say it was the best roast dinner I've ever eaten in a restaurant! I chose the lamb and my daughter had the pork belly. The portions were extremely generous and unfortunately we were too full to try the delicious desserts that were on offer. In fact, neither of us ate anything else for the rest of the day! The atmosphere was also very convivial and family orientated. I have booked for another celebratory lunch at The Chequers for when my daughter graduates from the University of Bath in July - I only wish I lived in Bath so that I could frequent this gastro pub more often!

• Visited April 2012
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great Wine and Steak!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Bath can be quite touristy with restaurants catering for the mass market and a really good meal can sometimes be surprisingly hard to find. Its worth the effort to walk up the hill and slightly out of the centre to this great gastro pub. We had one of the best wines we have had in a long time - it was so good that we had quite a lot of it and so I can't remember the name! It was Spanish as I recall. Steaks were very good.

Visited December 2011
Bath, United Kingdom
“Michelin Quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Restaurant upstairs does great quality food & gastro pub prices

Visited December 2011