All reviews the pub late arrival low ceilings lovely food rooms are clean warm welcome sunday lunch menu broccoli roast sample bridge
Reviewed 7 April 2018

I visited the Golden Ball last Thursday the 5th April. Not having been to Ironbridge for some time, I was pleasantly surprised at this lovely little inn. This particular occasion was a sad one as it was my aunt's wake, but the food and service were great (and I say this as a particularly picky eater!)
The whole day was made much easier by having a great team to help, and I will definitely be going back there again, on a happier day, with friends to sample some of the real ales on offer, hopefully (weather permitting) in the lovely beer garden, although the interior of this place is quite comfortable too.
I would definitely recommend a visit!

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

AVOID!

I have severe food allergies and intolerances, some are caused by conditions I have such.. as Crohn's Disease and ME.
This not only prevents me eating certain foods.. but restricts my life.
SO...

This evening, I was made to feel an inconvenience, a huge problem and as if I was asking "too much" of the serving staff and "chef" on duty. It was a weeknight (Thursday) and we went out for a rare dinner out. With an experienced member of bar staff on he was very rude this time -and tends to only ever be pleasant with older members of our group.. (in our historic encounters...)

I alerted the bar staff that I have dietary requirements and anaphylaxis allergies. The server returned with only 4 options of a full 3 course menu selection available for me to have (I am used to this in pubs with 'microwave technicians' and those with no flair for creative cooking to cater for dietary needs)..!

I chose the pheasant. But I was told all of the sauces comes pre-packaged so they cannot offer even a single sauce on my meal........
..AT ALL .. with an already dry mouth, I worried of what was to come of mostly a dry dish for me.

In front of me, the small piece of dry pheasant was offered up alone on a plate.

But there's veg too right?!..

All of the vegetables were dry, overcooked and solidified. I asked again to the server "Can the kitchen make even a gravy for me?" "NO - It is all homemade we can't". At this point I was eager to run to the shop for EVEN some BISTO to make this dish palatable.

So I was left there, with my dry pheasant, thin carrots, wilted cabbage and shrivelled potatoes I gave in.. MAYO, MUSTARD, KETCHUP (ANYTHING WILL DO!!).... again, the POOR server was very reluctant to be of any assistance other than chatting to his mates at the bar. He did bring it over and chucked it on the table.

The dog had the rest and I left £10.50 lighter, for a very substandard meal.

This was especially disappointing for us, as previously they have been very accommodating for my dietary needs.. (no dairy, no nuts!) This is why we travelled from Shrewsbury to come here!!! Non dairy sauces are not hard for even a bog standard chef to cater for.. ?! Surely...?

AND to add to our hilarity of the evening for me - the chalkboard said - all dietary needs catered for - please contact a member of staff!! Oh dear.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zoë H
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

We have not been to The Golden Ball for a good year but have very good memories of the place for being welcoming and the food being excellent. We went on Sunday and thought it would be quite busy as we hadn't booked. I was surprised to see a rather empty carpark and inside wasn't much different. There is no real welcome to the place anymore as there used to be a bar staff that were very friendly. The menu is on a chalk board behind where we sat and it sounded very nice. My husband and I both had the Barramundi and prawns and my 4 yr old Son had a mini beef sunday dinner. We had to ask for the childrens menu as it wasnt offered to us even though we said we had come for lunch. The yorkie was rock hard but I managed to soften the middle enough for my son to eat. I'm assuming the beef was fine as he happily ate it. Our fish was nice but nothing special and the prawns were quite literally tiny, plain prawns plopped on the side and top of the barramundi. I'm assuming the barramundi was as it should be as I have never had it before so have nothing to compare it to, it wasn't a particularly tasty fish. Veg was carrots broccoli and cabbage. My husband and I just said yeah it was ok and that was it. Friends of ours came in and had food too. Her comments were that her daughter wanted the mini roast but instead of new potatoes and roast could she have mash to be told no they couldn't do that. There was sausage and mash on the menu so I do not see the problem. Also they had run out of yorkies. Just very disappointing and it may be another year or more before we come back for food and service that was just so so.

Date of stay: February 2018
2  Thank MrSunshineTim
Reviewed 17 December 2017

Saw this place on the Internet and thought it looked lovely it turned out to be just the opposite. Staff were very unfriendly and not very accommodating at all. My son cannot eat somethings so I requested a ham and cheese baguette or a ham and cheese toasty, but it could not be done. I could understand it if the staff were rushed off their feet but there was hardly any one in.

Date of stay: December 2017
3  Thank WrekinSevern
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Stayed her with a group of friends whilst on an event near Ironbridge, it's a lovely pub and restaurant with rooms, as its a very old historical building the stairs accessing the rooms are a bit awkward to negotiate and have low ceilings which are very east to knock your head on! The rooms are clean & acceptable but really could do with a bit of an update but for the price you can't go wrong. As for the breakfast well that was excellent! tasty with really good ingredients and plenty of it serve by a very friendly lady. Perhaps for our party the only downside was the bar, although well stocked and reasonably priced it did close early (it was a Sunday) we missed food in the Golden Ball due to a late arrival so ventured into Ironbridge, on return to the pub at 2130 we were abruptly told "last orders 2200 i'm locking the doors at 2230!) so at 2225 we all had to retire, that's life
All that being said it's a good bed & breakfast

Date of stay: December 2017