All reviewsthe pubplaiceprawnslate arrivallow ceilingslovely foodwarm welcomerooms are cleanblackboardmenubroccoliroaststarterstrimmingsvegbridge
Reviewed 5 March 2016

We arrived on a quiet Monday evening ready to eat after a long working day. We chose directly from a black board menu and decided to go for the main course and possibly a pudding. The portions were so generous that we could not manage a pudding. The food was fresh, homemade and absolutely delicious.
We stayed overnight in the four poster bed which was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was enormous. Breakfast the next morning was the usual Full English and delicious. Other options were available for those not wishing to partake of the ‘fry-up’.
Nothing was too much trouble and the staff were very attentive without being intrusive. We will definitely be back to stay a few nights on a leisurely break to explore the local sights.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Martin L
Reviewed 30 December 2015 via mobile

Looked at the menu and discussed with the chef. They always put on vegetarian starters and mains. They will cater for all dietary needs if prior notice is given. Friendly atmosphere. Restaurant hold 40 however bar meals are still offered all on the same menu.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

We loved our stay at this little old pub. The room was nice and big with a 4 poster bed and a huge bathroom. The pub is off the tourist track and is frequented by the locals which was a real treat. The meal in the restaurant area was so good. The locals are friendly. Are really enjoyed our stay. The Iron Bridge is just a short drive down the hill.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2015

My late wife and members of my family have visited here when we wanted a better dining experience than the norm. It is a small cosy restaurant where you don't feel pressured. On the date of this review I visited with my daughter and son in law with their two boys aged 13 an 10. We arrived at 7 pm so the restaurant was empty apart from us although the pub was very busy and there were several people eating in the bar area.
Like many restaurants their child's menu is poor. My grandsons like to try new food and are unable to as the adult portions are too large for them. That being sai, the staff were able to move starters around and supplement them to create a better meal for them. The whole meal was superb. I started with a beautiful mushroom soup. The others had bread and olives with oils. These came with huge lumps of crunchy fresh bread. The main courses were equally well prepared. Portion size prevented us from having deserts but I have had them on previous visits. The menu is displayed on a board in the room and is quite comprehensive. Service was first class a not over attentive. I can't really comment on actual value for money as, once again, my daughter refused to let me pay. I would not hesitate in recommending the place to others.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2015

A warm & friendly welcome. Our accommodation was excellent - bedroom plus lounge area for £65 per night as at Oct. 2015. Menu was not 'ordinary pub grub' and was a cut above the rest. Our choices over the 4 nights were superbly cooked and presented. Special mention must be made of Helen, who was extremely helpful. One small comment: a greater choice of cereal would be good -if you don't like Muesli or weetabix, hard luck! All in all, superb value, and excellent wines and cask beers.

Room Tip: our room was no. 4. see above comment!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple