“Friendly and interesting city centre hotel full of character”
Review of Leopold Hotel

Leopold Hotel
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
newcastle upon tyne
“Friendly and interesting city centre hotel full of character”
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This was my first visit to Sheffield and from the train station it was easy to find by the hotel websites directions,i booked online with the hotel and got a good weekend deal. I emailed the hotel prior to travel requesting a room overlooking the square,as other reviewers seemed to recommend these rooms,i didnt get my request or a reply but i still got a lovely room on the 4th floor,that was full of character,and very quiet considering a road was outside.I received a warm greeting from reception,and was shown to the lift,my room,number 176, had two windows(that didnt open)and beautiful industrial beams and a high ceiling,contemporary bedding on a bed that was the most comfortable that ive ever slept in,and a modern bathroom.It wasnt a large room but the high ceiling made it feel larger.I received a call from reception asking if everything was ok with my room-a nice touch. The hotel staff are all very friendly,from reception to the room attendants,and theres a lovely light and airy bar overlooking the square with a terrace.The Square has the usual city restauarants like Zizzi and Wagamama,with outdoor seating in lovely surroundings,its very busy on a night time.I didnt use the hotel restaurant as i was sightseeing so enjoyed the cities coffee shops and restauarants,i was very impressed by Sheffield by its mix of styles and spent a sunny afternoon at Victoria Quays canal basin.I will return to this hotel as i loved the character,history and contemporary style and overall friendliness.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room overlooking the square
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Dear newccentral
Thank you for your review and comments following our recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I was delighted to see that you had a great stay and enjoyed all that our wonderful city of Sheffield has to offer. I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.
Michael Skehan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
UK
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We booked this hotel for 2 nights at the very last minute following a fall through of an intended booking in Derby. We got an excellent rate and upgraded to a suite. The hotel is full of charm and has an interesting history and layout which puts it just the right side of being a little quirky and an antidote to the soulless conveyor belt rooms and product offered by the big hotel chains. The most impressive thing about the hotel is the staff. Nothing is too much trouble and a not so often seen these days kind of customer service is provided. The suites have a strange configuration where you go upstairs to the sleeping area on a mezzanine floor. OK in itself but the space downstairs suffers and is not so easily useable or comfortable. Having said that, the beds are huge, with top quality linens and pillows and are very, very comfortable. The bathroom is also very nice and top quality toiletries and other accoutrements are provided. The only downside is the water pressure could be better. Suites also come with 2 huge flat screen tvs and free wired internet and free in room movies.
An example of the exemplary standard of service is that we had a problem where we couldn't get COLD water (yes, I know, it is usually the other way around!). The duty manager himself came and the first thing he did was to bring 2 large bottles of mineral water so we could make a drink whilst he fixed the problem.
Breakfast is normally cooked to order unless they are very busy when a buffet affair is provided. This is far from ideal and happened on our second day - it was a little hit and miss. But the food is of a high standard and the staff so charming that you tend to overlook these small foibles. Special mention at breakfast must go to Helen for whom nothing, and I mean nothing, was too much trouble. Even at the busiest times she maintained her charming, smiling countenance and ran the show very well.
In conclusion, the hotel is not perfect (the car park is a bit of a trek away) but already has a place in our hearts as somewhere we would not hesitate to either recommend or return to. The warmth from the staff and the service really is that good..

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
General_Manager80, General Manager at Leopold Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear SueandBrent
Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us at the Hotel. i was delighted to read you had a great stay and very much appreciate your feedback. I especially appreciate your comments on the team and how you were looked after, Helen in particular. It is always nice to hear such commnents and have team members mentioned.
Once again thank you for your comments and we very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

after a terrible night in another hotel we decided to check into the leopold hotel, we just turned up and hoped for the best, on arrival we were greeted by a very nice lady who went above and beyond,even giving us a discount off the price we saw online before hand, we stayed in one of the suites, we were escorted to our room and shown around to make sure we liked it, it was amazing, there was a huge hallway into a living area with sofa, table and chairs, flat screen t.v, it was beautifully decorated even the bathroom was stunning, one the second floor (yes there is 2 floors) there was a kingsize bed with beautiful bedding and lovely scatter cusions, a huge wardrobe, another flatscreen t.v and balcony overlooking the living area. we felt comfy right away. in the morning we had breakfast served to us in the room witch i thought was lovely. we will definitely stay again soon hopefully :-)

Room Tip: even though suites are slightly more expensive they are well worth the money
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear sunnysteph
Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us at the Loepold Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites and that the team looked after you so well. I do hope you will return to us again soon for a longer break.

Lahti
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed here for three nights at the end of May 2012 and loved every minute. Now, I've stayed at a couple of posh and posh-ish four and five star places before, but I've never received such excellent service, and that makes this hotel stand head and shoulders above the rest. The staff would go out of their way to offer you help and treats and assistance, and really made the effort to make you feel pampered and comfortable from the moment you arrived to the moment you left. The beds were absolutely luxurious, the pillows to die for, the room heating/aircon system was wonderful and again, the service was excellent. Some reviewers have complained about the breakfast room and the waiting times, but why go down when they'll bring the breakfast up without an extra charge? I immediately took advantage of the offer. The staff were also accommodating when it came to my food intolerances and my bad back, so I was given a lovely room with plenty of space to move about and could easily get a burger without a bun and breakfast without bread and so on, with no problems whatsoever. The gentlemen at the reception were very friendly and the shy blonde waitress who'd only been there for a couple of weeks was utterly adorable and just so incredibly helpful.

The only slight problem was the noise coming in from the bars on the square over the weekend--a jazz gig, I think. But since that was during the day, it wasn't as intrusive as it would've been at night--and I'm glad I packed my earplugs. But that was only a minor problem and nothing to do with the hotel itself. The only other minus I can think of was the stairs you had to climb up to get to reception, which were a bit of a challenge, but again, not a biggie. The hotel was perfectly situated, near a nice selection of restaurants, pubs, shops and the Crucible Theatre. I didn't feel like I had to walk long distances to get food and drink and some essentials (there's a M&S nearby), or a night out at the theatre. Although I'd advise against eating at any of the restaurants at the Square--they were rather noisy and uncomfortable, especially the horrid Platillo's. The pub opposite the main entrance and the Crucible Corner restaurant were much better when it came to basic, nice, affordable meals and drinks.

I was looking for a pampering holiday and I definitely got it--I would recommend this to anyone who wants a luxury break and/or a bit of romance. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer. If I'm ever coming back to Sheffield again, this is definitely the hotel I'm going to stay at and I'm going to stay as many nights as my wallet allows! This place was absolute heaven. Five stars to the amazing staff--you made my holiday perfect and I look forward to staying at the Leopold again as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Ask the staff for good rooms beforehand--they are very flexible and are sure to get you the sort of...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Dear Snowgrouse

Thank you for your review and comments following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you had a most enjoyable stay with us and we certainly do hop ethat next time you get to stay a bit longer.
donegal ireland
Reviewed 7 June 2012

i would most definitely reccomend this hotel to anyone and everyone! i stayed here for one night and was VERY tempted to stay for two. as i went to check in at reception i was meet by very friendly and helpful staff who even showed me where the lift was to my room. as i entered my room i saw that they had displayed on the t.v 'WELCOME MRS MCLAUGLIN'. i could not fault this hotel in anyway !

Room Tip: stay here you;ll be glad of it!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Kerrie M
Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us at the Leopold Hotel. I was delighted to see you had a great stay and the team looked after you so well.
I do hope we get to welcome you back again soon.