“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #6 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
South Yorkshire
“Afternoon Tea”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The fact that St Paul's Hotel is in my home town does make it a bit special for me, and we use the hotel's Champagne Bar for special family occasions or other gatherings with friends. Afternoon tea, which we have had several times, is lovely. At my recent retirement "do" with 15 of my friends the service from the bar staff was excellent, they are always so friendly and anxious to please. Lovely assorted cakes and scones with clotted cream and jam, assorted sandwiches all freshly prepared and well presented. The servings were ample too. Tea or coffee and a glass of champagne just made a lovely relaxing afternoon. We weren't rushed to leave at all, could have stayed as long as we wanted. The Champagne Bar is very comfortable and the adjoining Winter Gardens make it a very pleasant outlook.
I have stayed at the hotel on another occasion and the room was very spacious, clean and bright. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice.
All in all I think it is an excellent hotel in a great location right in the city centre.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Owlsfan95
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a lovely reveiw following your recent visit to Mercure St Paul's for afternoon tea. I am pleased you enjoyed yourself and look forward to welcoming you back. Best Regards Luisa Esposito General Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I booked this hotel direct as a travel agent I had seen reviews and been recomended, First impressions lovely, I am from sheffield and seen the hotel from outside before but never been in, Location-wise is is perfect right in the center of sheffield next to the peace gardens and winter gardens, Checking in the staff were really Well presented and smart and check us in, I was made aware as I was paying on a debit card i could not set up a room tab unless I had a credit card, This was fine by me, We had room 518 first impression of the room the room was amazing the view was stunning, bathroom was stunning seprate shower and bath, Huge king size bed, plaza screen and you could plug ipod in too which was a plus, We spent the day out in sheffield then came back had a few drink in the champaigne bar this was lovely. We sat in the booth and was served, The meal was disapointing, As we looked at the menu in our room it looked fantastic but when we came to have ours as we pre paid for a meal we had a choice of 3 meals for each course i ordered lamb casarole and it was like a microwave meal, no taste just basic and bland, We had a couple of bottles of wine after one we took upto the room, Had a good sleep and we tried the spa in the morning, lovely pool, Sauna and steamroom, and igloo, really enjoyed this and it was included in the price,
All together we night was lovely just the food was a let down, To me a good meal is all part of the experence,
I would go again but either eat elsewhere, Or not pre book it

Room Tip: Upgrade for an extra £20 for an amazing bay window view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review following your recent stay. I was delighted to read your feedback regarding your stay although disappointed to read your comments regarding the food. I have discussed the matter with the relevant department and please be assured I will take the necessary action. Once again thank you for the review. Luisa Esposito General Manager
South coast England
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Four night stay. Initial impressions (after a long journey) were not wholly positive. St Paul’s does not have its own car park. However local parking (Arundal Gate) is convenient; but it does take some time to understand the logistics and the payment system.

Approaching from the Arundal Gate car park, it is confusing trying to find the main entrance to the hotel. The minimal signage leads into the Spa (which is not the way into the hotel). In fact you have to walk the whole length of the building to find the main entrance (which is badly signed). During our stay, we observed many people with wheelie suitcases (like us before) wondering: “how on Earth do we get into this place?”.

During our stay, this became worse as on the Friday, the hotel became cordoned off with red tape as an external firm of contractors undertook a pressure steam clean job on the exterior. For a while, it became impossible to work out how to enter and leave the hotel (and on one occasion we had to climb over the red tape, as there was no other route out). I have a photo of this, but have decided not to post it as thankfully it became a quirky footnote, rather than the headline, of our stay. Also, the desk staff acknowledged honestly that the situation was a mess, but was not within their control.

Apart from that footnote I cannot praise St Paul’s highly enough. My partner reckons it is one of the nicest hotels she has ever stayed in. I agree.

Positives?

1. Design: At ground floor level this is stunning – adjacent to the wonderful Winter Garden (with only a glass divide). This creates a very relaxed ground floor recreational area – which has many people-spotting opportunities as artistes and profesisonal football teams often stay in the hotel - The Osmonds (yes really) and West Ham United during our visit (the players were all exceptionally courteous).

2. Bedrooms: Very good quality for the price. Free Sky Sports; but not free wifi (negative factor).

3.Staff: My comments about all of the staff we met are exceptionally positive. Morale seemed very high, and staff exuded pleasantness, confidence and a great sense of humour (take a particular bow, Mr Phillip Wellington).

4. Finally, location: I had never really appreciated what a pleasant and interesting city Sheffield is. The location of St Paul's is central within a large, sophisticated pedestrianised zone, with many excellent local restaurants.

Overall a very positive experience, and I would definitely return.

Memo to Owner/Manager: Free wifi really should now be standard in 4 star hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift doors
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Luisa E, General Manager at Mercure Sheffield St Paul's Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Mercure St Paul’s in Sheffield and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Luisa Esposito General Manager
Gloucester
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed here as we were going to a wedding at the town hall, which is right next door. The hotel is very central, and in an attractive location, so ideal if exploring Sheffield. This could be an excellent hotel, but a few issues let it down and I can't give it more than an average rating. First issue was the parking. On arrival we found out that the hotel only has valet parking, which costs £23 a night. I might be a bit tight, but this is the same as I have paid at the Sheraton Park Lane, and parking costs are generally a lot higher in London! Still, as we were travelling with a little one and lots of baggage, we bit the bullet. Would have not felt quite so aggrieved had the service been good. On one occassion when we wanted to get the car out, we gave them 3 hours notice and when we went to collect the car, it wasn't even on their list of cars needed, so we had to wait 10 minutes for them to fetch it, resulting in being late to collect amily from the station. Also, there is nowhere to wait while depositing your car, so we had to suffer abuse from a town hall employee telling us we couldn't wait outside the hotel while we waited for concierge to take the car from us. I felt sorry for the guy - he was on his own with clearly too much work for one person to handle. He was nice enough, polite and pleasant, he just never had a hope of being able to deliver good service. He tried his best though.
Regarding the room - very nice, spacious and modern. No complaints. However, as we were travelling with a toddler, we had called in advance to check there was a fridge so we could store milk, and they confirmed that there was. However, the minibar was only a cool box, so it wasn't suitable for storing food in. I accept that hotels don't have to provide fridges for occupants to store food in, but I don't accept that they would lie about their facilities.
On to the restaurant. The staff here really were excellent. My wife was on a special diet due to some treatment she was having, and the staff were happy to plate and heat up some food she had brought with us when we ate there one evening. Breakfast time it was very busy, and they seemed a bit short of high chairs, but the staff were still cheerful and helpful, even cooking eggs without yolks and tomatoes without salt for my wife.
The hotel does have a health club, although I only got chance to use the pool. The facilites seemed to be good though and the staff friendly.
By ironing out a few flaws, this hotel could get 5 out of 5, but it seems by cutting a few corners they let themselves down.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Keef74
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Mercure St Paul’s in Sheffield although I was disappointed to read your feedback regarding the valet parking. We will use your feedback to help us determine how better to improve this aspect of the hotel. Kind regards, Luisa Esposito General Manager