Review Highlights
What a great view of Sheffield!

Last July was the first time I visited this park and I can assure you it won't be the last. When... read more

Reviewed 17 August 2018
stendek
lleida
Great little local park

Myself and partner visit here regularly with our 3 children aged 3, 19m and 7m. We live at the... read more

Reviewed 27 June 2018
Trips-With-3-Kids
Sheffield, United Kingdom

All reviews bishop's house walled garden chesterfield skate architecture play
Reviewed 3 December 2014

We often stroll through this park. There are spectacular views and some of the best views in Sheffield. Benches to sit, pause and take in the views. Great for sledging in the snow. Different views with the changing of the light during the day. Wonderful for firework watching. Friendly dog walkers.

1  Thank DJD2013
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our closest park so we walk though it a lot on the way to work or elsewhere. Always pleasant. Sometimes we take a picnic in summer. Good playground for those with Kiddies, tennis courts, a skateboardy thingy, excellent walled garden and of course Bishops House so there really is something for everyone. Did I mention the views? Excellent .

1  Thank Gaynlou
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Along with Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet and Kelham Island, this is one of Sheffield's smaller museums that I had known about for more than 30 years, before I had visited it.

Over the years, I have spent many an hour visiting a wide variety of historic buildings in the UK and further afield - most of which have been constructed on a much grander scale - but the modesty of the Bishop's House appealed to me.

Sheffield isn't known for its architectural heritage, despite the proximity of good stone which, in other places in Yorkshire, have been used elaborately to express the wealth of their owners; it is therefore a great surprise to find a well preserved timber framed house here.

I have always thought that the Old Queen's Head public house, on Pond Hill next to Sheffield Interchange, is quite remarkable - not least for it having never been destroyed by the wave of post-war development that took place around it. Students of Sheffield's architecture should really make the effort to visit this special place and I can say the same for the Bishop's House.

The fact that I spent less than 20 minutes here doesn't reflect upon its architectural and historical value in any way - I was just more keen to take a walk around one of Sheffield's renowned green spaces in the summer sunshine. That said, it was time enough to see some fine architectural details, wander up and down a couple of old staircases, whilst minding your head or negotiating the potential trip hazards when stepping across the various thresholds into different rooms.

There are some nice examples of Tudor furniture and the rooms are full of household items, which I am sure that the many school groups who visit this place will find very interesting; however, like my visit to Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet, it seems obvious that this museum is way down the list of Sheffield's priorities for spending money - especially as far as the presentation is concerned.

My lasting impression of visiting Bishop's House will be its fantastic oak floorboards and then walking down through Meersbrook Park, where the steep escarpment opens up great views across the centre of Sheffield and a few other interesting details can be seen...

1  Thank ScottEngering
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I regularly walk through Meersbrook Park on my way from Norton Lees down to the shops on Chesterfield Road. It's a stunning walk with spectacular views over Sheffield, across local neighbourhoods of Nether Edge and Ecclesall to the city centre and beyond to Houndkirk and Totley Moors in the distance. Lots of dog walkers and a lovely children's playground and skate bowl.

It is also the location of one of Sheffield's best-kept secrets, an informal gathering of locals on New Year's Eve to watch the fireworks exploding all over the city, right out to the horizon. Locals bring champagne and snacks and cheer at the strike of twelve. Our favourite place to be on NYE bar none.

At the top of Meersbrook park is one of the oldest houses in Sheffield, now a museum, the tudor Bishop's House which is a must see and also now regularly puts gigs on in the evenings.

Well worth a visit even in winter. Catch a 20, 20A or 53 bus and get off on Chesterfield Rd opposite Lidl, then walk through to the bottom of the park and have a stroll to the top. Great exercise rewarded by a stunning view.

3  Thank sparklingmoon
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Nice little park . The views from the top are some of the best in Sheffield, looking out over Heeley, Nether Edge, city centre and over towards Olwerton. Nice museum ( it's free) Bishops House. Bowls, tennis-football-basket ball court, bmx bike pit and a couple of childrens play areas. No cafe but there are local ones. Buses 17, 21, 21a, 25, 25a and 53

2  Thank meersbrook48