“Nice cosy hotel”

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Reading
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Nice cosy hotel”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I've stayed at this hotel during a business trip. It looks really cosy from the outside. Although I've booked a single room I was upgraded to a double room. The room was nothing special but nice and spacious. The bathroom looked relatively new. There's this thing in hotel bathrooms that I don't like: showering in the bathtub. Most of the times the tub is too small to relax in so why not make it a nice spacious shower. But I realise that is something personal and not specific to this hotel.

The walls and doors could use some fresh paint however.

Breakfast in the mornings was good, not special but nice anyway. It's just those tv's..... Is it specificfor Brittish hotels? Breakfast was served in the bar.

The ladies at the reception were very nice and friendly and helpfull.

So all together I liked this hotel for a business trip. Nothing special but nice and clean and in the centre of town.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
StuartReading, General Manager at Mercure George Hotel Reading, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at The Mercure George Reading. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and have noted your comments

kind Regards

Stuart Hall
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I just came back from a 2 night stay at the mecure george it was in a great location right next to the shopping arcade in the high street which was great - on arrival the receptionist took our bags straight away and let us have our keys before 3pm even though we couldnt go to the room till 3pm this was very helpful. However at the same time I wasnt very happy with the company policy that although I was paying for the room in cash in full on arrival the receptionist was insistant on me paying another £20 deposit on top of the full balance I had paid I found this uneccessary and it wasnt explained at the time of booking and isnt done in other mecure hotels. Our room was upgraded to a ground floor sweet it was spotlessly clean, nicely decorated and the beds were so clean and comfy - the room was a bit cold and dark and due to the ground floor it was a disabled bath which wasnt so comfy but the bathroom was very clean and spacious - check out was fast but the reception staff again made it seem they didnt trust you knowing I had paid but insisting on checking the card to ensure no money was owed - the quality of the hotel was good but I found the reception not as friendly as other mecure hotels.

• Stayed April 2012
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Too many narrow corridors and stairs. I had an upgrade to an executive room, it just provided a larger, more drafty bathroom. End of bath shower which I hate. Cubicles please! Satellite TV, rubbish kept going off signal. People who walk past your room make the room shake because of the floor boards. The only redeeming feature was...urm...erm...sorry can't think of one.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Stoke Upon Trent
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I am a great fan of Accor hotels from Sofitel to Ibis but this was our first great disappointment.
The hotel was not accessible by car the nearest you could get was 200yards from the entrance so if you had luggage you had to carry it a long way yourself. The executive room looked onto a brick wall and was over the extraction system exhaust. The temperature varied from cold to roasting. The advertised extras for the executive room fresh fruit, luxury toiletries, water turned out to be a bar of milk chocolate, standard Mercure toiletries and 2 small bottles of water for a 2 day stay. The breakfast was the worst we have had in any Accor hotel Fruit was tinned orange and grafefruit segments and fresh apple or banana. eggs were scrambled or nothing. This is the first 3 star hotel where we have had to make your own tea with a bag in a teacup. The staff were polite, friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean and centrally located but not for those travelling by car, with luggage and the breakfast is to be avoided. Not what we expected as regular Accor visitors

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Reading hotels

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights this week, the hotel was a lovely mix of old and new and a great central location, upon arrival quite late after a long drive from the South West myself and the student I had with me were tired so decided upon room service. Biggest mistake.. I was greeted by the rudest man on earth, according to my bill his name was Peter. After banging on my door rather than a knock I asked politely if he could put my meal on the side, I was answered with a huff and roll of the eyes, I then asked him what I needed to sign so that I could pay for the rest upon my departure, I was then answered with a very angry and shouting response that I had to pay for the food NOW, I explained politely that I had no cash on me but would be happy to pay with my card, the response I recieved was "do you expect the bloody card terminal to stretch up to your room?" I said again remaining polite (something that evidently he was unable to be) do you mind if I pay at breakfast tomorrow as I was in my Pj's at this point, I explained I was staying for 2 nights so would not be going anywhere soon. I was again given a shouted response of "YOU HAVE TO PAY NOW" I decided to go down and pay (In my Pj's) to avoid confrontation - by the time I got to my room the food was cold and quite frankly not very nice. As I was settling down to my meal I heard shouting. Upon waking in the morning the student I had taken along on the trip had explained how she had encountered a very rude man with room service and explained exactly what I had experienced the night before. I was shocked and very unimpressed that staff would act like this and especially to young woman staying at the hotel, I myself and the student I was travelling with are not easily intimidated however I would worry if someone more vulnerable was put in this situation. We were fully intending on eaing dinner in the hotel however after such a rude first night we decided to dine elsewhere. Upon departure both myself and the student expressed our concerns from the first night and unfortunatly they fell on deaf ears. It is a shame as its a great location and a lovely hotel, might be worth reviewing the staff training, as I travel on Business a lot and would not want to stay in this hotel again unless I knew this would not happen again. The only other comment I would make is that the room was a little bit too hot - but with the current weather I appreciate this cannot be helped.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business