“We love dropping into the cafe”
Review of The Herb Farm

The Herb Farm
Ranked #15 of 88 things to do in Reading
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated close to Sonning Common, The Herb Farm offers a large plant nursery, display gardens, The Herb Kitchen coffee shop and The Saxon Maze. The Barn Shop stocks many food items and gifts, with something for everyone.
Reading, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“We love dropping into the cafe”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We either go to the cafe on the way to or back from Henley. The shop is also full of quirky presents, and the herb garden itself is beautifully landscaped providing inspiration for all gardeners. I had not realised that there were so many types of sage.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Berkshire
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“"Herbilious"”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Fantastic place to buy herbs and also to see them planted in the wonderful gardens. Staff very friendly and knowledgeable. Lovely shop full of lots of great gifts and "foodie stuff". To complete the picture there is a wonderful restaurant.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank Jax47
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Afternoon out in the Country with fantastic herb selection and nice coffee shop”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Based in Sonning Common, just down the road from Henley on Thames and Reading the Herb Farm is a really nice place to go and spend the afternoon. It's set very close to the countryside, so there are plenty of walks you can go on from there. In terms of the actual Herb Farm, there are lots and lots of herbs to see of course. You can learn about what they are used for and actually see what the actual plants look like. Most of us only see our spices in glass jars from the supermarket, so that’s quite interesting to see what they look like. If you want to buy and there is no pressure, they can also make you up little variety herb boxes that you can keep inside that look really pretty. Then there is a Saxon Maze, which was created by a famous Maze designer . I didn’t try this as I’m, not personally a fan of Mazes, but it’s quite popular according to the staff.
They also have an amazing shop with a massive variety of products from gourmet jam to cool kitchen gadgets and now a lot of lovely country style Christmas decorations right now. The best bit for me is that they stock Neal’s Yard and Tisserand which I use a lot and you can’t get everywhere so I stocked up there. I did compare prices with other stores and on-line and they are comparable which is unusual for a shop like this. Also they have lots of teas and I managed to get loose leaf green jasmine tea, which is a godsend for me as I drink pints of this daily and it’s nigh on impossible to find in a normal store. It’s actually pretty good tea too and really reasonable at about £4 a bag. I normally have to order it in from Asia.
Lastly and one of my highlights is that they have a coffee shop, where you can sit in the conservatory or outside when it’s warm enough. Coffee was good but not strong enough, as I like it very strong. However I was assured that when I go back they can add in extra espresso shots at no extra charge. They also have handmade cakes which looked amazing, but I didn’t try that day, but I will go back as I don’t live that far away. I wish I had made the effort to pass by earlier, as my first thought was that it’s just a garden centre. All in all a very nice place and friendly staff and I will definitely keep popping back to see what’s new.

Visited October 2011