The Townhouse
The Dashwood Hotel(Kirtlington)
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsb bhigh streetblenheim palacefront of the housewonderful hospitalityvisited woodstockfamily stayed hereminutes walk awaypubs and restaurantsperfect hostscomfortable roomlisted buildingcooked freshwould definitely stay here againslight problembreakfast is servedan ideal location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Arrived last week and found the b&b very easily. Was greeted by a very friendly man at the door. Room was very spacious and with plenty of amenities. Coffee, tea and kettle provided and with complimentary biscuits and sweets given too. Bathroom was great, had a power shower and bidet. Towels were replaced each day. Breakfast was lovely with it being cooked in full view, owners cooked the Vegetarian English Breakfast to my perfection. I wanted poached egg and they did this and nothing seemed too much trouble. Even when my friend who I was staying with broke the key one night they replaced this with 'no sweat' and when asked if we were getting a replacement key, they produced a key instantly, which had the 'wow' factor for me. There are plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby this b&b and nothing seems to far away. Plenty of shops too with Coop just up the road. Near Blenheim Palace too, which like they say on their website. Wifi was a doddle to sign onto and it was free, the key for using wifi was in the information folder provided. I thoroughly recommend this hotel for friendliness and comfort. The beds were soft and the pillows likewise. There are a selection of books that can borrowed. Parking though seems to be limited on the outside but public transport connection are excellent. The area was very quiet.

Room Tip: Only got three rooms with only one twin room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We found this B&B by searching the internet. It is owned and run by two recent graduates from Oxford University. One is from Singapore and the other from China. They really know how to make you feel welcomed and their breakfast is superb. The location is walking distance from Benheim Palace which takes two days to see it all. Be sure to have your ticket stamped so that you may enter multiple days without charge. It is the birth place of Winston Churchill. The town is known for its antique shops and if you stop in any shop the reception will make you feel like you are an old friend. Enjoy!

Room Tip: If traveling with children be sure to let the owners know. They will accomodate as we noticed when a family with four children arrived.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Great little B&B. Excellent customer service from the Chinese owner. Rooms are basic and decor needs a little attention. The bathroom was more than adequate! The breakfast is taken in the small extension to the 18th property in which the kitchen is also located. It was a bit like eating your breakfast at home except that you didn't need to cook it. No complaints.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor. We think they are bigger than rooms on floors above this.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Would definately stay again. Very central and near to Blenim Palace.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Allinson43
Reviewed 31 August 2011

While it is a bit worn, I thought The Townhouse was a very good value. Breakfast was very good and when I asked for the eggs to be cooked a bit more the owners were very sweet about it (the British seem to like eggs more underdone than Americans.) The breakfast room is lovely and filled with light.

The parking lot is a bit of a distance and the owner was willing to ride over with me and show me where it was. There is some on street parking in front. I didn't find walking to the parking lot to be an issue and didn't relish either driving the narrow roads or parking on them.

We slept well here, had free wifi, and a good breakfast to start the day. Woodstock is very cute. We slept in the "Sarah" which had two single beds. I stayed with my mother (she had a separate room) and young adult daughter and felt very comfortable here. I did not feel any sense that the place was creepy, the owners were very welcoming, but gave us plenty of space.

While the owners English is not perfect, I was able to understand and communicate just fine. I actually had more trouble with some folks once I arrived in London. The owners were very hospitable and checked some things on the Internet for me that I was struggling to figure out (buses from Oxford to London.)

The stairs to the upstairs are very steep. My mother, in her 70's was concerned about falling. Probably a better place to stay for people middle-aged or younger.

I would stay here again if I returned to Woodstock.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family