“fine but not what I wanted”

Diana's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 80 Oxford B&B and Inns
oxford
“fine but not what I wanted”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I saw great reviews on bookdirectrooms.com, so I thought that I would enjoy my one month stay. Diana seems to have a very walm personality, very talkative during breakfast, especially to local. However, I found that some of my basic needs could not be met.

(1) I was forced to go to bed around 10pm, because there was no heat after 10am in the house while it was around 3 centigrade outside. I thought that there was some heating problem, but was told the next day that they don't offer heat 10pm - 6am, because that's the average time their guests go to sleep.

(2) no toilet paper were offered after I used up the half roll when I moved in. I had to ask for it.

(3) Hot shower is not guaranteed. I found no hot water sometimes 10:30pm, 7:30am, 8am, 9:30am. Some other guests also complained, but some guests said that they simply don't need a shower at all - they have no problem. Sometimes their boiler stopped working without a reason, sometimes, they just programmed the boiler or pipe to turn off, but I was told so after I found out.

(4) Room service once a week, but they don't offer fresh towels unless you ask. Noise during the day and after dinner. Sometimes they have dinner parties in their house.

It all depends on what you expect. If you are fine with these hidden house rules, this is a good place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank trapped2012
Diana D, Owner at Diana's Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review me. I am sorry that you were not comfortable in my B&B and thought that I have hidden house rules. I wonder, if you were not aware that as The University were funding your stay 'on a budget' with discounts, this meant you were not entitled to some services compared to full paying guests?
1. In my experience having heating on all night means some guests find it too hot and start opening windows. But I am also an advocate of keeping costs down so that I can pass this onto guests & I also believe in energy saving for our planet. This does not mean that I am mean with the heating and no other guest has let me know they were/are cold. Otherwise I will try to help.
2. I'm sorry no one showed you the spare rolls in the bathroom cupboard.
3. Yes, there were problems with the boiler when more than 1 shower/bath was being used at the same time. I have now installed a new boiler and a much larger water cylinder to make sure this doesn't happen any more.
4. I'm sorry you needed more towels but on a budget/discount stay I can always help, when asked to upgrade. Unfortunately, most B&B's have a 'family' attached to it and dinner parties; barbecue's etc can occur. Sometimes guests even join in.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. Hopefully, Oxford University can send you back again and I can try and do better for you. All feedback is important to me be it good or bad, as it serves as a way to be able to improve.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Canvey Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Central, warm, cosy, friendly welcoming hostess....home from home....excellent value

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank okami_10
I'm glad you found it to your liking! I now have a FB page and hope you have the time to 'like' me there too. Look out for special offers there too!