“How did this hotel get 4 stars?!?”
Review of Old Black Horse

Old Black Horse
Ranked #40 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I was booked to stay here by a company I was working for and if I had made the booking myself I would have stayed elsewhere!

Plus points:
- Good location for Brookes University, Magdalen College and the JR Hospital.
- Easy to find and walkable to the City centre

Negatives:
Some of the rooms are in an annexe and to get to it you have to cross the car park. This in itself is not a problem unless it is dark as the lighting is not great. Ihad been booked into a double room but ended up in an appartment which had 2 bedrooms, each with 2 single beds.

The decor was extremely dated though the room was clean. The beds were ancient with saggy mattresses and the lounge area had a huge black leather corner suite. The TV did not work and the wifi signal was very poor and kept dropping. The kitchen was supplied with basic utensils, though the cutlery was filthy, and there was tea and coffee, but no milk, and, bizarrely, a bottle of tomato ketchup in the fridge.

The shower aas nice and powerful though there were signs of mould in the bathroom.

Breakfast was adequate - juice, cereals and coffee that you helped yourself to, though they were not readily replenished when they ran out. The cooked breakfast was fine though service was very slow.

With a bit of love and more attention to detail this hotel could be a great value place, especially as Oxford can be very expensive. Until then, I won't be returning.

• Stayed: February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Old Black Horse

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I read a number of reviews (ranging from good to frightful) before booking my one night stay for business in early February 2012. I paid £85 for a single for B&B. One might expect pretty high quality facilties and service, but one needf to understand the price is set in relation to the hotel market for central Oxford (typically £100+).

The good bits whatever : It has car parking and is a few minutes walk to the centre of Oxford. The room and bathroom were clean - adequate for a business stay. . The cooked breakfast was pretty good.

The variable bits : Its a 17th century coaching inn - so its on a main road, and its a listed building. This means wonky floors, odd shaped rooms, and old windows with no double glazing. When I stayed, it was winter so kept the windows closed; it was a bit noisy in the morning but I had work to go to. Room refurb in progress above in the evening when I arrived drove me downsatirs for a good value G&T in the bar before my evening business appointmentI would not choose this place for a summer leisure break. A Sunday morning lie-in on a hot summer's morning, with the windows open, would be impossible. It is sort of a pub, but I did not see anyone using it in the evening, so its not a real pub.

The odd bits : the people who run this place were pleasant and helpful but totally disengaged, like I was an e-person, and not actually there.

Objective rating : 1 star (if stars have to be given). Checking rates now (end Feb 2012) they are asking £100+ which is over the top.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This was the worst place I ever nearly stayed! We were shown to our double room by a guy who looked like a vagrant. Upon inspecting the facilities I was speechless. The room was filthy, crammed and stank. The blue wool bedspread was stained and crumpled and the carpet was sticky. The bathroom featured dirty, cracked tiles, toilet with broken seat and a basin which had not seen bleach in years. In residence was a cockroach sitting on the shower door. We left immediately. This is NOT a charming olde worlde pub/hotel. Its a disgraceful place and how anyone could manage to stay a night in such conditions beggars belief.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank anne t
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I wanted something different than a big business hotel. Found this old inn at the internet with a location very close to the place of my meeting. The single room was very small. The bathroom was new, but there were problems with the water pressure in the shower (solved during my stay). The TV did not work, but the internet was OK. Noise from the pub during the evening, but quiet at night.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Ester G
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I have stayed at the Old Black Horse several times over the years (and when I was a student at the University, my parents stayed their several times), but I think I have finally given up on it. The good things (and reasons I have put up with it so long): (i) it is the most centrally located hotel in Oxford that is not eye wateringly expensive, (ii) plenty of parking, which is rare in Oxford, and (iii) they do a pretty good cooked breakfast.

Other than that it gets pretty tiresome in a hurry. The service is never great (do not be even one minute late for breakfast...); most of the rooms are linked by an arcane series of stairs and corridors which are no joke to get your luggage through, and everything is generally old and dated.

Maybe I am just getting older and I am not as tolerant as I used to be of things, but next time I go to Oxford I plan to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family