3,590 results
All reviews morse bar ashmolean museum molton brown toiletries concierge team drawing room inspector morse turn down service executive room beautiful building breakfast service central location car parking cooked breakfast old building lovely room visit oxford doorman
Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Came here for lunch during our shopping trip, set menu. Staff very attentive. Food was delicious, could not fault at all. Flank of beef wassucculent and soft. In the main hall, Great choice for a lunch stop.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you for your kind feedback following your lunch at the hotel. We offer an all day dining menu in our Acanthus restaurant which is popular. I know the team will be most motivated by your feedback.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

Booked pre theatre menu at £19 per head. Beautiful hotel, gorgeous dining room BUT very cold and draughty. Food awful - macaroni cheese with mushrooms - looked and tasted as though it was yesterday's heated up. Could barely eat it. Cheese & biscuits - poor, couple of old cardboard biscuits and some cheese. Really disappointed as it was the first time I had visited. I wouldn't go back or recommend. On a plus point, all the staff were courteous and polite but overall a very disappointing experience.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine N

Thank you for posting a review and I am sorry our food let us down during your visit to us. We have just launched our new Acanthus menu and strive to offer the highest levels of cuisine at the hotel.

I will be discussing your comments with my Head Chef and indeed monitoring the new menu offering being served.

I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back to the hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the restaurant team.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

I have stayed here five or six times now for university commitments and every time I am left saddened and with a sense of it really could be better. No complaints re its location or the front of house concierge team - always attentive and happy to help but as soon as you get to reception it starts to go downhill. It’s just not slick - despite every time asking not be allocated a room over the noisy alley, that is always the room I am initially allocated and it is a BIG hassle to move me (seriously it’s like having a party going on in the room especially in the summer months if you need the window open)!! The card keys are the most sensitive keys I have ever encountered so after several occasions of schlepping all the way to the room for it not to work I started asking reception to recheck it every time to avoid the annoyance (and yes I was extra careful not to place it near my phone). The hot tap on the bath this time (room 74) did not work (but we did receive a bottle of prosecco as an apology- a nice touch thank you), we had housekeeping knocking on the door at 9 am on the Sunday we were attempting to have a lie in (really- why would anyone do that)!! The worse service though has to be the restaurant and bar. Twenty minutes for a G&T after we placed the order (how difficult is it)?? For breakfast we arrived and had to wait for a table which (for a short period) is fine but what was not was the attempt of the manager to try and sit the very smart looking elderly couple before us before we reminded her we were first. Once seated, the service was so slow - 40 mins for poached eggs, dirty tables not cleared immediately - just not what is expected at this level of establishment! Come on McDonald Randolph you are better than this! Restore your beautiful hotel to the glory it deserves.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank MrandMrsT2006

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that we have not lived up to your expectations. We strive to offer the highest levels of service and cuisine to all our guests. I shall be sharing your feedback at our weekly team meeting and please be assured acting on your points raised.

I do hope that we may be of service to you in the future and redeem ourselves.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

Up the stairs, left, left again, down a long corridor, sharp right then left, keep going, wrong way turn back, up the stairs, down such a long corridor you could add a moving walkway, sharp right-then-left-then-right, down the stairs, around three corners, .... found my room!!

This place is such a rabbit warren, and has expanded into so many neighboring buildings, that it was approximately *a kilometer* from reception to my room: I counted five sets of stairs and 15 corners.

Seriously, bring a ball of string if you've any hope of finding your way back out!!

On the plus side:
- Room was modern and well appointed.
- The Morse Bar and Drawing Room are classy.
- The location is unbeatable.

The Escher - Dante - Dr Seuss geography of the place would have won it a 3* review because it's a real downside.

But the staff at reception and especially the Concierge desk were so warm, helpful, polite and cheerily obliging, that they pull it back to 4*. I might actually stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased you enjoyed your stay. At the hotel we do offer 40 executive bedrooms in our Worcester Wing of the hotel. I do appreciate that some of the rooms are some distance from the main reception but are offered with every confidence that guests will be comfortable. Guests can request the main body of the building and we will always endeavour to move guests should they wish to be closer, subject to availability.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

Stayed here on a 3 day package with my Mum which included a simple spa treatment every day and access to their executive lounge which, we were told on check in, did a happy hour in the evening with canapés. This was a pleasant little quiet space, with self-service drink and snacks but only canapés after prompting someone an hour in - think they forgot. None the next night, nor any wine glasses either. Last evening we couldn't be bothered and then lo and behold when we got back from our dinner out there were some rather warm looking pate and pastry bites. I wonder how long they'd been there?! We had a similar experience for our late evening snack the first evening we arrived in the lounge. I ordered something that was described something like goats cheese bonbons with salt cured beetroot whilst my Mum had a salad. Waited a while for it to come and it looked very pretty with caramelised nuts but no beetroot. Managed to flag someone from reception as lounge wasn't staffed who took it away and returned after another while with the same dish now with beetroot but just plain nuts. I couldn't be bothered asking again because Mum had almost finished her meal. We had decided to combine our treatments to have one longer one and to have it together but that got lost in translation too and we ended up in different therapy rooms and although I enjoyed mine, my Mum's manicure was quite poor. The bedroom was a little cold, the thermostat/heater didn't seem to work and the person we asked to look at it turned out to be the doorman and instead of offering to get maintenance in the next day seemed to fluster around the room. We had scaffolding outside our window which was a little disappointing, but you can accept work needs to happen. What was sad was there was a dead pigeon right outside the window which had obviously been dead a while and not removed. Although there are lifts, most floors are split level so there are random staircases along corridors for you to navigate and quite creaky floorboards so you can hear people who appear to be thumping along them. So, for me it was these little bits of attention to detail and service that need to be improved. Having said that, the staff on reception were very helfpul and friendly, the room and bathroom was spacious, the beds were lovely and comfortable and the breakfast area and food was really good. Shame the cooked breakfast items changed half-way through, I was looking forward to trying the original ones listed but the quality of the replacement items was excellent, albeit a few more than the original had supplementary costs.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family