“Beautiful Hotel, great staff but location is near to noisy public !”

Macdonald Randolph Hotel
Ranked #18 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Reviewed 27 November 2017

I enjoyed an overnight stay after attending a Birthday lunch. The hotel and facilities are excellent, the rooms are well appointed, very comfortable but single glazing in bathrooms allows noise from outside i.e. Revellers leaving pubs and bars!

Great breakfast with a lovely lady welcoming guests, excellent buffet and hot food from friendly staff.

Will certainly stay again but try and get a room away from the streets.

Room Tip: Away from street
Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Manager_Randolph, General Manager at Macdonald Randolph Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Thank you for kind comments following your stay with us. We are right in the heart of the historic university city of Oxford and endeavour to offer our guests a peaceful night's sleep. We do experience certain levels of urban noise but please be assured this is not the normal feedback we receive.

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding the staff you encountered and we hope to be of service to you in the not too distant future when your travel plans bring you back to the city of Oxford.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Came here for lunch during our shopping trip, set menu. Staff very attentive. Food was delicious, could not fault at all. Flank of beef wassucculent and soft. In the main hall, Great choice for a lunch stop.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind feedback following your lunch at the hotel. We offer an all day dining menu in our Acanthus restaurant which is popular. I know the team will be most motivated by your feedback.

I do hope we can be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

Booked pre theatre menu at £19 per head. Beautiful hotel, gorgeous dining room BUT very cold and draughty. Food awful - macaroni cheese with mushrooms - looked and tasted as though it was yesterday's heated up. Could barely eat it. Cheese & biscuits - poor, couple of old cardboard biscuits and some cheese. Really disappointed as it was the first time I had visited. I wouldn't go back or recommend. On a plus point, all the staff were courteous and polite but overall a very disappointing experience.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine N

Thank you for posting a review and I am sorry our food let us down during your visit to us. We have just launched our new Acanthus menu and strive to offer the highest levels of cuisine at the hotel.

I will be discussing your comments with my Head Chef and indeed monitoring the new menu offering being served.

I do hope that we may be able to welcome you back to the hotel when your travel plans bring you back to the hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the restaurant team.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

I have stayed here five or six times now for university commitments and every time I am left saddened and with a sense of it really could be better. No complaints re its location or the front of house concierge team - always attentive and happy to help but as soon as you get to reception it starts to go downhill. It’s just not slick - despite every time asking not be allocated a room over the noisy alley, that is always the room I am initially allocated and it is a BIG hassle to move me (seriously it’s like having a party going on in the room especially in the summer months if you need the window open)!! The card keys are the most sensitive keys I have ever encountered so after several occasions of schlepping all the way to the room for it not to work I started asking reception to recheck it every time to avoid the annoyance (and yes I was extra careful not to place it near my phone). The hot tap on the bath this time (room 74) did not work (but we did receive a bottle of prosecco as an apology- a nice touch thank you), we had housekeeping knocking on the door at 9 am on the Sunday we were attempting to have a lie in (really- why would anyone do that)!! The worse service though has to be the restaurant and bar. Twenty minutes for a G&T after we placed the order (how difficult is it)?? For breakfast we arrived and had to wait for a table which (for a short period) is fine but what was not was the attempt of the manager to try and sit the very smart looking elderly couple before us before we reminded her we were first. Once seated, the service was so slow - 40 mins for poached eggs, dirty tables not cleared immediately - just not what is expected at this level of establishment! Come on McDonald Randolph you are better than this! Restore your beautiful hotel to the glory it deserves.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank MrandMrsT2006

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I was sorry that we have not lived up to your expectations. We strive to offer the highest levels of service and cuisine to all our guests. I shall be sharing your feedback at our weekly team meeting and please be assured acting on your points raised.

I do hope that we may be of service to you in the future and redeem ourselves.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

Up the stairs, left, left again, down a long corridor, sharp right then left, keep going, wrong way turn back, up the stairs, down such a long corridor you could add a moving walkway, sharp right-then-left-then-right, down the stairs, around three corners, .... found my room!!

This place is such a rabbit warren, and has expanded into so many neighboring buildings, that it was approximately *a kilometer* from reception to my room: I counted five sets of stairs and 15 corners.

Seriously, bring a ball of string if you've any hope of finding your way back out!!

On the plus side:
- Room was modern and well appointed.
- The Morse Bar and Drawing Room are classy.
- The location is unbeatable.

The Escher - Dante - Dr Seuss geography of the place would have won it a 3* review because it's a real downside.

But the staff at reception and especially the Concierge desk were so warm, helpful, polite and cheerily obliging, that they pull it back to 4*. I might actually stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for posting a review and I was pleased you enjoyed your stay. At the hotel we do offer 40 executive bedrooms in our Worcester Wing of the hotel. I do appreciate that some of the rooms are some distance from the main reception but are offered with every confidence that guests will be comfortable. Guests can request the main body of the building and we will always endeavour to move guests should they wish to be closer, subject to availability.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the team and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.