“Paul,Ipswich”

Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Ipswich
“Paul,Ipswich”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Warm and friendly welcome. Excellent attention from staff. Excellent food. Well appointed appartment. Proximity to Oxford colleges and museums.

Room Tip: Book a courtyard garden suite - it is well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is a nice hotel run by the same company who own the Old Bank in the city centre. In recent years we have stayed in both and found they offer very similar levels of quality and service. Whilst the Old Bank has better public areas, we feel the location of the Old Parsonage is second to none - perfectly located for the city centre and the restaurants and bars of Jericho/Little Clarendon Street. The main areas of the hotel are nice and comfortable, stylish and cosy. Bedroom was comfortable and immaculate. Parking was a bonus but can't be guaranteed - and spaces were very tight! To access the bedrooms requires walking through the busy and compact dining room - this was slightly off-putting and the only main drawback of an otherwise excellent hotel. I would give it 5 stars but at the price we paid for the room we had even higher expectations.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank skiingarchie
Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I came here for a quiet get-away from my hectic life and it served the purpose very well. I love Oxford and often come here to shop, get my hair done and stroll around for hours on end - there is no better place to do this! I didn't realise until after my stay that the hotel has its own cycles for guests' use (at least it looks that way from the photographs) - how stupid am I not to have made use of this?! Perhaps they should have told me about it when I arrived. Still, me on a bike in a busy city would be certain death anyway, so perhaps it's a good thing they held this back from me. The Old Parsonage is quaint, much smaller than I imagined, but none the worse for it. I loved the Jazz evening in the lobby and the fact that it is situated right opposite Little Clarendon Street and its restaurants (not too far to stagger home after a carafe or two). My room was restful, spacious and had everything you'd need, but a little bland for my taste - this is a character property, after all. Having said that, the bed was the comfiest I have ever slept in although there was some traffic noise in the morning. It has a very upmarket 'chain' hotel feel to it upstairs - don't go looking for beams and quirky features - but definitely not downstairs, which is very clubby and cosy and decked out with dozens and dozens of paintings. Perfect for a get-together - I might bring the other half next time, if he deserves it. Not sure if I prefer it to The Randolph which I have a massive affection for but I'll certainly bear it in mind for my next trip.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank covergirl14
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed at the Old Parsonage for 4 nights in October 2011. It was centrally located, with an old fashioned style, a solid restaurant and a quaint setting. The bar is bustling, the staff helpful and i would certainly go again

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Antonia H
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We loved this hotel. It's cozy, 'tis true but so restful. We arrived at around 11:00 a.m. and our room was ready. We registered and spent the day walking all over Oxford. In the evening we enjoyed a good meal at the hotel restaurant and the next morning had breakfast in front of the fireplace in the bar.

The staff couldn't be nicer or more helpful. Only drawback, it's a bit of a schlep with luggage from ground floor to the third where we stayed -- but we wouldn't have changed our room. The amenities were good for us. I love older properties but can get a bit fussy about things. I have not a single complaint for this place. We'll be back again -- and again.

Don't miss it.

Room Tip: We book room 31 -- at the top. Loved it.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple