“Amazing!”

Cherry Tree Inn
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 19
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Idyllically nestled in the Chiltern Hills amongst some of the most beautiful beech woods in England, sits this most pretty and picturesque English country pub with rooms. The Cherry Tree Inn is a 500 year old brick and flint building that was formerly 3 cottages. Now, a thriving, bustling quintessential English country pub and inn, it has had a huge lease of life since its new owners gave it a makeover in February 2012. Whilst keeping its gorgeous traditional interior, with original flagstone floors, heavy beams and low ceilings, they have also brought it right up to the 20th century with innovative design, interiors, colours and overall excellent service. The rooms are set in a lovely barn conversion next to the pub and with its four ensuite AA 4* letting rooms with king size beds and clean, crisp linens, it's perfect for both private or corporate needs. Breakfasts are hearty and guests are assured of a peaceful nights sleep in beautiful surroundings. The food is right up there with some of the best in the area. Modern British classics, meets some favourite European treats and all food is cooked fresh, to order and using only the freshest, where possible local ingredients from both local suppliers and some of the many estates producing some outstanding meats. The wine list is pretty healthy too, with Bury Brothers & Rudd supplying a lot of their wines. Likewise, they have a great selection of champagnes, the beer is very well kept with mainly the local Brakspears on tap and a good selection bottled beers, spirits and liqueurs. Just 6 miles west of glorious Henley on Thames and surrounded by some of the best walking, cycling and riding territory you'll find, it's firmly on the 'Destination Pub' radar, as well as being loved and supported by the local area.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Ate at the Cherry Tree last night. The food was a step above the usual pub fayre.
The place was busy and bustling, but we were served quickly. The Malbec is delicious!
My husband had the pie and said it was the best he'd ever had. We were told the short crust pastry is home made and was fantastic.
We'll be back often now there is a change of ownership. Can't wait to see what Dan and his team have planned for this lovely old pub.
Keep up the good work.

5  Thank suered2425

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Met the new owner of the pub, he was really welcoming along with the rest of the staff. Gin selection was amazing, over 30 I believe! The owner said he is planning to get more spirits so definitely worth a visit in the future! Massive plus that dogs are allowed it, the pub dog is also amazing!

5  Thank Nicole B
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Sunday lunch with friends and a new pub to try. This a extremely quaint, with low beams and log fires. The staff are friendly, I believe it has a new owner, nice guy. The menu looked good but all 4 of us opted for a traditional roast dinner, the beef. It was tender with hardly any fat. There is a good choice of veg and fluffy potatoes. I would have liked the gravy a little thicker but that’s just me. The sticky toffee was AMAZING with toffee sauce that was silky and smooth, I’m just gutted we opted to share it between 2. This seems a well established pub and I would happily go back with my dogs and take in a local walk too.

3  Thank Gerbra_10
Reviewed 15 March 2018

An experience that would be worthy of a comedy sketch. We were told this would be a good place to go for Xmas day. The minute we walked in, I thought Oh My God!
The service was dreadful, the food was awful and there were dogs everywhere. My dad said it was lunch at the kennels.
Surely it is not hygienic allowing huge dogs, any animals into a restaurant where you are eating. We left with coats covered in dog hair. I've been to country pubs many times, maybe this is a wonderful spot normally, it is certainly a no go for Christmas. We learnt never listen to anyone's recommendations again, as some people clearly have not got a clue.

It is popular with the locals and maybe normally the food is great so enjoy it if you go.
Honest review based on 1 visit here.

3  Thank Arlette L
Dan R, Owner at Cherry Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

Hi there, I am terribly sorry to hear of your poor experience at the Cherry Tree Inn at Christmas. As it happens I bought the pub on 16th March this year, and have already made many changes as it certainly was needed. We have removed the dreadful old menu and now print a menu every day, which have been warmly received. We are referring the interior, exterior and garden as well as investing heavily in the kitchen.

I really must assure you that things are now very different, only that the building is still in the same location and trading under the same name. These apart, the Cherry Tree Inn is having a new lease of life and I would very much like you to come and enjoy it.

Kindest regards,

Dan Redfern
Landlord
01491 680 430

Reviewed 23 February 2018

My wife and I were going to be alone this last Christmas and thought it would be a nice idea to mix with other folk over Christmas Day Lunch. We booked early with the Cherry Tree Inn, a local pub we had visited a few times in the past. At £75 per person, we really expected something extra special. When we arrived at midday, the place was already buzzing, full to capacity. We were shown to a small side room, away from most of the other revellers, with only two tables laid up. The decorations were tastefully done but we immediately felt isolated. A family of four joined us on the other table but they did not wish to engage in any conservation, rather head down in their phones! We waited for our drinks, and waited and waited! We amused ourselves with the riddles inside the crackers! At last the drinks came, no apology for the delay. We tried to enter into conversation with the waitress: no interest! The starters arrived, nicely prepared and presented. I ordered another glass of red wine to go with the main course; despite asking three times, it did not arrive until I had finished my meal. The waitress said "Sorry, the bar is very busy". The turkey and trimmings were fine but nothing special. To finish, the Christmas Pudding was clearly out-sourced, but the cream and Brandy sauce were good. I had paid £75 on making the reservation so I was shocked to be asked for another £94.40 to settle my account. I was told that the extra £19.40 was the extra glass of wine and a "service charge". Having no wish to argue over a lunch bill on Christmas Day, we paid up and left. We were really disappointed by the experience and sensed the lunch had been no more than a profiteering event by the owners. We will never go there again and strongly advise against attending any future Christmas Day Lunch event.

2  Thank FrankieDP

Dear FrankieDP, I feel compelled to respond as I purchased the Cherry Tree Inn on 16th March 2018, and must assure you that the pub is evolving enormously by the day. Gone is the drab old menu, in it's place a fresh, varied menu which we print daily.

I dearly hope that you will visit, as the old operation is gone. A new chef team, new owner and lots of plans to make the Cherry Tree Inn wonderful and loved again.

Kindest regards,