All reviews the pub full english hook norton central location window seat touring the cotswolds nice room special thanks free car park bottled water perfect stay comfortable bed tea and coffee good size cooked breakfast lovely town stayed for one night
Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

The cheese cauliflower has been the best vegetarian dish I had during my fortnight stay in the Cotswolds. Spicy (but not too much) and cooked to perfection. Staff very attending and everything was done with a smile. Highly recommended!

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed 23 September 2018

Would highly recommend The fox as a place to stay in Chipping Norton.
Stayed here for 2 nights whilst attending a family wedding.
Our room was very tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean...could not fault anything at all.
Breakfast was exceptional....with extremely high quality ingredients.Infact I would go as far to say it was the best I have ever had!
The staff were all friendly and very helpful.particularly the young man who served us breakfast both mornings....he was genuinely very nice and I would say he is an absolute credit to your business.Thank you for making our stay with you so pleasurable.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed at Fox when attempting evening function elsewhere. Friendly welcome comfortable room a bit difficult to access with my limited mobility up and down steep stairs but not impossible. Bed comfortable room clean nice big bathroom and shower. Free bottle of beer very welcome. Good home cooked breakfast and service.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Booked a night at The Fox for our 40th wedding anniversary. If only we hadn't. If you want to stay somewhere where you're greeted with a smile and made to feel welcome don't stay here. We were ushered to our room with minimum interaction. I had told them on my booking form that it was a celebration stay and there was ...... a big nothing. Not even a kettle. Not even any biscuits to have with the tea we eventually managed to make once my husband had gone down to ask for a kettle. The room was nice though (although quite a lot of outside noise to be heard if the windows are open, especially early in the morning when the beer delivery is made). The bed was huge (Room 5) and very comfy with good quality sheets but the pillows smelt so bad we had to spray them with my perfume and cover them with towels in order to get to sleep. Not so good. The toilet seat was dangerously wonky so great care had to be exercised when using. The breakfast the following morning (included in the price - very expensive if not included) and the service were not good. It was a long wait. We filled the time by finding our own cups and saucers to drink our tea out of (lots of the tables weren't laid) and then played with the toaster. The bread was too big for the small plates (all of which were wet) and, as the one large slab of butter (for everyone to use) and the jams with grubby, sticky lids were taking up the rest of the table space by the toaster, we balanced on a nearby customer breakfast table buttering and jamming (buttery knives into the jam - yuk). I had to go on a walkabout to find a spoon in order to eat my porridge when it eventually came. My husband's cooked breakfast (he asked for no mushrooms or beans) was not a happy experience. 2 burnt rock hard fried eggs, one lone rasher of dried up bacon, one sausage that tasted a bit strange, only one hash brown, half a dried up tomato and the bowl of beans he didn't want that had a skin on the surface. We soldiered on bravely though. No one came to see if everything was OK or to ask if we needed teas topping up. In short, no one cared. The final straw came when we tried to hand in our key and pay our bill. After several minutes of waiting at the counter (with one member of staff making coffee for a customer and another tapping away on the computer) the girl that had originally "greeted" us the day before sauntered over, took my key and my credit card, keyed in the amount and handed the card reader back to me without saying a single solitary word. As I keyed in my pin number she finally managed to utter the words "was everything OK?". It was at that point I had to let her know that, in fact, everything wasn't OK, perhaps a smile and a little work on her interpersonal skills might not go amiss, and that we wouldn't ever be returning. Still she didn't speak, only silently mouthing "sorry". Really, truly, unbelievably awful. The most galling thing was that we had booked the room a couple of weeks earlier on booking.com at a price of £120 and, whilst lying in the comfy bed and googling recent reviews on The Fox to see what other people thought of the service, our room was advertised at £70. We paid £50 more for our shabby experience. Very disappointing. On a plus note, I emailed the manager detailing our experience suggesting a bit of staff training might improve things (but maybe not) so hopefully he'll confirm that that has happened and it will make for a much more pleasant stay for all you readers!!! Oh, and by the way, if you want some truly decent food, a nice atmosphere and warm, friendly and utterly welcoming staff, we suggest you head out of The Fox to The Blue Boar up the road a bit. Lovely!

Room tip: Room 5 has a huge comfy bed but quite a lot of outside noise
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank bigshas
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

We arrived early and thought we'd grab a drink as check in stated 3 however the lady checked and we were pleased that we could check in straight away. The room overlooked the front of the property and had a window seat.a welcoming bottle of water and local beer was provided. The breakfast was good. I had eggs benedict but unfortunately no ham which was replaced by bacon which to be honest i preferred. My partner had full english which he enjoyed and if we'd stayed another night i would have had. The bar shuts at 10 on a Sunday so there was no issue with noise and the bed was comfortable. Several pubs close by though if you are eating ensure you book as they were very full at lunch time with at least an hours wait. We decided to eat at our hotel and the food was great and quick to arrive.

Date of stay: August 2018