“A mixed bag”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Chipping Norton
London, England
“A mixed bag”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Having just spent 2 nights at the CP, Heythrop Park I have a mixed review to report.

I am a Platinum Elite member and was redeeming points to stay for the weekend.

The pre-arrival didn't bode well, and in all honesty, I nearly considered cancelling the trip. I rang about 2 weeks in advance to try to organise a round of golf for my husband (you can only do 7 days in advance) and a spa treatment for me. The staff who answer the phones are often just receptionists for both the spa and golf and can't answer any detailed questions about either. I am pregnant and wanted to understand what kind of treatments would be considered safe. The staff member concerned couldn't answer but promised to find out. A couple of days later with no response I rang back and spoke to someone different, with same outcome. I was told that there were some 60 minute slots available but the spa manager would come back to me. By this point it was a week before we were due to go and still no response so I rang and escalated to the reservations manager Lucy Cooling who was helpful, and promised to liaise with the Spa on my behalf. Although she categorically stated that the spa was fully booked all Saturday - so either two days earlier I had been fed some mis-truths, or amongst the chaos at not being able to answer my question the slots had gone. Either way, Lucy managed to get me fitted in a for a 30 minute treatment on the Saturday.

We arrived on Friday 27 and I was informed that we had been upgraded to a suite. The suite was spacious (and obviously always nice to receive an upgrade). However there were some odd missing touches in the room. The bathroom was very spacious, but apart from the back of the door, there are no hooks anywhere to hang towels, so when you want a bath or shower, you have to leave them on the floor. There were bathrobes but no slippers and the mini bar was empty and you would have rung to get it stocked (not applicable because we didn't intend to use it). Also having in house branded toiletries for a suite is pretty poor in a 4 star hotel.

We ate in the bar area which was pretty reasonable in terms of quality and value for money on the Friday night.

Saturday we had booked to go out for dinner (highly recommend Bitter and Twisted in Chipping Norton, good value for money, tasty food, large portions and buzzing atmosphere).
On the way back to the hotel, we walked through the reception area for the ballroom, the music was blaring for a wedding and when I went to reception to ask a question there were customers complaining about the noise level. Note: If you are not part of a wedding party or hen night and do not intend to be up partying late, ensure that you ask for a room away from this section of the hotel as it is highly disruptive. Fortunately we were in a different part of the hotel and unaffected by the noise.

Sunday morning we were in our room about 9.45 preparing to go to the spa when there was a power cut. The generator kicked in within about 20 seconds, but we discovered that our Suite (001) was situated right next door to the generator which made a huge din. We were popping to the spa anyway so didn't really pay much attention.
Alas when we got to the Spa, it had emergency lighting and they were waiting for the generator to kick in. It became apparant that the Spa doesn't have a self contained generator (as you would expect for a completely separate building), as in total there was no power there for about 30/40 minutes and clearly the power for everywhere just kicked back in and we were allowed to go into the pool area.
For a hotel of this level, I would expect a separately supported generator to be available for a spa area given that this must be where they are generating a large chunk of their revenues. The golf course was closed to do "adverse weather conditions".

My final comment was that upon check out - (note the hotel was busy the night before and the staff would have known this), check out is at 12noon, surprise surprise there was a hefty 10 minute queue to check out because only 2 staff were manning the reception desk. Also no sense of priority for customers with status.

We had a good weekend because we were redeeming points and the upgrade was obviously nice, however I think I'd have been a bit disappointed if I'd paid face value for the facilities we had.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay in the Crowne Plaza, I have dicussed your comments with my team and you can rest assured that each of your points has been addressed.

Once again thank you for your time, we look forward to welcoming you back.

regards

Restort Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Belper, Derbyshire
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just returned from a 1 night stay at the Crowne Plaza, Heythrop Park. The hotel is very clean and modern and set in beautiful grounds. I had booked a 'PointBreaks' deal for just 5000 Priority Club points. The only room I coud book using this deal was a 'Double - Shower Only' but, as a Platinum Elite member, I was hoping to get a complimentary upgrade. Alas, no upgrade and indeed no acknowledgement of my status at all.

The room was very small so navigating without tripping over the chair, floor lamp, etc was a challenge but no massive issue. The shower was too hot, even on the lowest setting but as we were visiting the Leisure Club, we had used the showers there after our swim so, again, this did not cause a problem. If we had been staying longer than one night I would have mentioned it to reception.

We did not use the restaurant during our stay.

Overall, it was fine for a one night stay and a great use of points but we left without ever having a 'Wow' moment. I would probably return again in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlennTheBaker
Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on our hotel.

I am afraid that an upgrade to an Executive Room is based upon availabilty, as you will no doubt be aware, the hotel was fulyl booked on your stay, hence we could not provide an upgrade for you.

Please feel free to let me know when you next plan to return to Heythrop and I will endevour to arrange the appropriate upgrade for you.
Regards
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

we stayed here as a family of 4 with 2 small boys. I found the room to be quite small but fine for a night. Our bathroom was very large. I liked how we had been left some aromatherapy things to spray onto the pillows to help with sleep. We had the dinner bed and breakfast package. Boththe breakfast and the dinner was nice, in particular the dinner, lovely pork belly and sweet potato with crackling and the then 3 huge profiteroles but all gorgeous. The dining room is really lovely, big white chairs and very modern walls and pictures overloooking the grounds. I felt slightly uncomfortable with the children in there as it seemed quite posh. We had the earliest booking and there seemed to be a lot of staff just waiting around but as we left there seemed to be more people coming in. The hotel itself isn't in the statley home but the new building next to it attached. It is very modern inside, a bit burlesque feeling with fancy carpets and wallpaper. I wish we had longer to look around the grounds, there was a 2 mile walk with some lovely things to see along the way. We used the swimming pool which was open to members too, i noticed a sign for children's swimming lessons and we only had half of the pool other half for members, changing facilities we very nice but had to walk through old building and round a bit to get there, bit confusing but found it. It also seems like golf is a big thing there too, for members. This place would be just ideal for weddings, there are so many rooms, fancy dining facilities, a leisure and spa facility and golf for the men and lovely grounds for wedding photographs, if you're getting married go to this place! The only thing that annoyed me was that i struggled with a trolly of bags and a suitcase and 2 children through a small door and neither of the two receptionists came to help me, i'm sure they would of if i'd asked though but i shouldn't have to really should i. All in all a nice place.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time for providing your comments and for confirming that Heythroppark is in fact the ideal place for weddings.

We look forward to welcoming your family back to heythrop in the near future.

regards

Daniel Arpels
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Recently stayed here with the family for one night. The hotel is very nice and in a great location. Checkin was ok but would say the staff could do with being a little more friendly. We did have trouble getting a table in the restaurant but after speaking with the manager this was quickly rectificed. The service in the restaurant was not great however the food was good. We were told we had a room overlooking the golf course however when we arrived actually the room faced the inner course yard which was a little disappointing.

Overall a good hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DanielArpels
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for providing your feedback, you can be assured that your points will be fully reviewed by the team and we will add your feedback to our ongoing training plan.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Heythrop in the near future.
Regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed here for a break for two days and the surrounding area is truly outstanding. There are beautiful grounds with amazing walks which could make this a perfect break. For me it was from London.

The service however was very poor ranging from food orders being wrong, bad management in the restaurant and my worst area was the spa where I was shouted at for being wrong about slippers even when the hotel literature said exactly what I asked I was told I was wrong. Maybe I should learned to read then? I did speak to a senior member at the hotel but he never came back to me after two months Having complained to customer services who apologised and passed on my comments to hotel management. I still had no reply from the hotel. I have even tried to post my comments 4 times here without this happening so now I have just posted some basic comments. My feelings are if you are not to bothered about the service then the hotel will offer a fantastic country break with beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
15.8 km away
Old Swan & Minster Mill
Old Swan & Minster Mill
#1 of 1 in Minster Lovell

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK