“Distinctly Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Radlett, United Kingdom
“Distinctly Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed two nights, with the kids in the next room. The look of the hotel was excellent, as were the grounds, but it was let down by the execution.

Why would you build a new four star hotel with tiny rooms? There was maybe two feet around the bed. Barely enough room to move past each other. Space was further eroded because there was nowhere to store the second suitcase, and even if there was, apart from hanging space, there was nowhere to store clothes, apart from one small drawer.

Housekeeping - they didnt replenish the teas and coffees for the second day without being asked. Also, despite being a new hotel, the bathroom shaver socket was loose and wobbly....the toothbrush wouldnt charge as the plug kept on falling out.

Food.....again average. Ate in the Brassey Bar. Took ages for anyone to take our order, and then took an hour for the food to arrive. When the food arrived, they had missed off one of the side orders. Kids pizza looked like one of those minging 6 inch supermarket basics frozen pizzas that come ten in a packet. Why they couldnt be bothered to do a proper pizza I dont know, as there were a couple of pizzas on the full menu......unless they also come with a "ding beep beep". Burger was overdone.....didnt seem like 8oz, which is the equivalent of two quarter pounders, which should be a lot of meat. Glass of red had wine all over the base of the glass.....was like a couldnt care less attitude to service. Food also seemed rather pricey for what it was.

Mobile reception....the posting from the hotel about three weeks ago is incorrect or vague.....there was no reception on T-Mobile, Virgin Mobile or Orange. Apparently Vodafone is OK, but I couldnt verify this. We were given free wifi vouchers due to my Platinum Elite status, but surely they should make all wifi free until there is decent coverage (the Crowne Plaza I stay at for business has free wifi for everyone.....why cant this one?).

Pool - only four feet deep at the deep end, and a couple of feet deep in the shallow end. However half the pool was roped off for "club members only", but was empty and unused, whereas the hotel guests were all spashing around in the other half.....couldnt swim properly there.

Value for money - the room was good value as I redeemed PC points for both rooms/both nights. However I wouldnt pay £85 a night per room for this hotel, nor would I/did I spend the £80 each day for a family of four for breakfast. I was also disappointed that I had to ask to have my "free drink voucher" (which was handed in at checkin) applied to my bill on departure.

I wouldnt describe the hotel as "horrendous" as a couple checking out at the same time as us did. I would though return as a single traveller on business, on PC points or if someone else was paying.

Room Tip: I *think* some of the basic rooms have showers only and some have baths.....make sure you book the o...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Froggitt
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for your comments, please be assured they have been fuly reviewed with the team, as you said we have various types of rooms and sizes.

When you would like to return please call me directly and I will ensure one of our best rooms is allocated for you, my number is 01608 673333.
John Angus
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Where do i start, from the time we got there until the time we left it was great. The grounds were fantastic, definatly a massive 70's theme throughout. Cant under stand why so many people are moaning, we have, as well as everyone else on trip advisor stayed at 5*resort and i would happily recomend this place an i will be staying here again, take that tribute night was brilliant

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bristolbest
Wow, thankyou for the great comments, I was delighted to read your review. It was also great to read your comments on Take That 2.

We plan to have a tribute night each month, hopefully we'll see you for ABBA 2!
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

Currently sat in my freezing cold room( had the heating on for the last 2 hours, it's not powerful enough to warm the room up) Although that's not a problem compared to what was this morning probably one of the most overpriced breakfasts I've ever had in my life. I stay in ICHG hotels all the time and as a platinum member have a good understanding of what to expect. My breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children(4,6) came to £50 this morning and for that I expect to get a better to standard of breakfast then I'd receive in a Holiday Inn.

My complaints include but arent limited too :-

Dirty crockery
Unattentive staff( had to ask for coffee and tea after 15 mins)
Had to wait for glasses for juice for a few minutes
Had to wait for plates for cold buffet.
Terrible lack of variety for the cooked breakfast no fried bread, no choice of omelette. (when I tried to ask the chef about this it appeared he couldn't understand what I was asking for, not his fault of course but frustrating when you try to ask for things) No black pudding, no plain sausgaes ( the kids dont like the seasoned ones, i know that might sound silly but you normally get a choice of 2 varieties) all in all a really really poor. These are all things I have come to expect from a HI. Maybe CP are now being pitched between HI and HI express.

All in all don't waste your money on the breakfast unless you like a nice view as it's impressive.

Maybe if the staff made a bit more effort in attending to the guests needs rather than trying to flog Take That tribute tickets it'd be a better stay. Can't wait too leave in the morning.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank HantsExile
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments, I was concerned to read your thoughts on breakfast and wondered if you could give me a call directly, my number is 01608 673333.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked two rooms with my saved up priority points for my family for my birthday.

Check in went smoothly and service seemed good. The two rooms were on separate floors as one was a double and the other a twin with two double beds. The double room was fine though the mirror had a large crack in it.

The main issues were with the twin room. Lighting in the rooms is not good and one of the main lamps had no bulb in it. After having a bath the water didn't drain away then water started flowing out of the back of the toilet. We basically had to change rooms 5 times due to water/sewage issues and broken lights. Compensation was breakfast in the restaurant, the food on offer was fine but lacking in choice and not worth £15-20. The hotel is designed to look upmarket but on closer inspection there are broken lights, damaged chairs, broken mirrors etc. Even the basics like towels are awful, they need to invest in new or at least use fabric softener.

Overall very disappointed and will stick with hiltons in future.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I was disapointed to read your comments, as you will see from the majority of reviews, we pride ourselves on our service standards.

With our drive for service in mind, I would be grateful if you would call me personally to discuss your stay, my number is 01608 673333
Liverpool, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was a very small room - sitting at the desk the chair was wedged against the bed. The single, comfortable, chair was located in the window alcove which offered no view of the TV.
While it was nicely appointed, and modern, with a comfortable bed, it's not a room I would want to spend time relaxing in. A couple would have to sit on the bed to talk to each other, and I certainly wouldn't want to get room service in there.

The single window was small, in the corner of the room, behind a tree, and didn't even appear to open - which meant having the lights on during the day, and the aircon on at night.

However, there are quite extensive and pleasant public areas in the hotel, and the lounge / bar service was very good.

And for other priority club members, there was no acknowledgement of platinum status, but this is quite normal (for reward nights).

The surroundings are great, and there are plenty of places to relax - just not in a standard room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for your coments, we have various types of room sizes at the Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park, perhaps on your next visit we can arange an Executive Room for you.

Please feel free to let me know when you are next in the area, my number is 01608 673333.
Regards
#1 of 1 in North Leigh
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,148 reviews
39.0 km away
The Oxfordshire Golf Club & Hotel

Been to Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK