“Brilliant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Chipping Norton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Where do i start, from the time we got there until the time we left it was great. The grounds were fantastic, definatly a massive 70's theme throughout. Cant under stand why so many people are moaning, we have, as well as everyone else on trip advisor stayed at 5*resort and i would happily recomend this place an i will be staying here again, take that tribute night was brilliant

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bristolbest
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Wow, thankyou for the great comments, I was delighted to read your review. It was also great to read your comments on Take That 2.

We plan to have a tribute night each month, hopefully we'll see you for ABBA 2!
Resort Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

Currently sat in my freezing cold room( had the heating on for the last 2 hours, it's not powerful enough to warm the room up) Although that's not a problem compared to what was this morning probably one of the most overpriced breakfasts I've ever had in my life. I stay in ICHG hotels all the time and as a platinum member have a good understanding of what to expect. My breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children(4,6) came to £50 this morning and for that I expect to get a better to standard of breakfast then I'd receive in a Holiday Inn.

My complaints include but arent limited too :-

Dirty crockery
Unattentive staff( had to ask for coffee and tea after 15 mins)
Had to wait for glasses for juice for a few minutes
Had to wait for plates for cold buffet.
Terrible lack of variety for the cooked breakfast no fried bread, no choice of omelette. (when I tried to ask the chef about this it appeared he couldn't understand what I was asking for, not his fault of course but frustrating when you try to ask for things) No black pudding, no plain sausgaes ( the kids dont like the seasoned ones, i know that might sound silly but you normally get a choice of 2 varieties) all in all a really really poor. These are all things I have come to expect from a HI. Maybe CP are now being pitched between HI and HI express.

All in all don't waste your money on the breakfast unless you like a nice view as it's impressive.

Maybe if the staff made a bit more effort in attending to the guests needs rather than trying to flog Take That tribute tickets it'd be a better stay. Can't wait too leave in the morning.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank HantsExile
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments, I was concerned to read your thoughts on breakfast and wondered if you could give me a call directly, my number is 01608 673333.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I booked two rooms with my saved up priority points for my family for my birthday.

Check in went smoothly and service seemed good. The two rooms were on separate floors as one was a double and the other a twin with two double beds. The double room was fine though the mirror had a large crack in it.

The main issues were with the twin room. Lighting in the rooms is not good and one of the main lamps had no bulb in it. After having a bath the water didn't drain away then water started flowing out of the back of the toilet. We basically had to change rooms 5 times due to water/sewage issues and broken lights. Compensation was breakfast in the restaurant, the food on offer was fine but lacking in choice and not worth £15-20. The hotel is designed to look upmarket but on closer inspection there are broken lights, damaged chairs, broken mirrors etc. Even the basics like towels are awful, they need to invest in new or at least use fabric softener.

Overall very disappointed and will stick with hiltons in future.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I was disapointed to read your comments, as you will see from the majority of reviews, we pride ourselves on our service standards.

With our drive for service in mind, I would be grateful if you would call me personally to discuss your stay, my number is 01608 673333
Liverpool, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

This was a very small room - sitting at the desk the chair was wedged against the bed. The single, comfortable, chair was located in the window alcove which offered no view of the TV.
While it was nicely appointed, and modern, with a comfortable bed, it's not a room I would want to spend time relaxing in. A couple would have to sit on the bed to talk to each other, and I certainly wouldn't want to get room service in there.

The single window was small, in the corner of the room, behind a tree, and didn't even appear to open - which meant having the lights on during the day, and the aircon on at night.

However, there are quite extensive and pleasant public areas in the hotel, and the lounge / bar service was very good.

And for other priority club members, there was no acknowledgement of platinum status, but this is quite normal (for reward nights).

The surroundings are great, and there are plenty of places to relax - just not in a standard room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHeythrop, Manager at Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Thank you for your coments, we have various types of room sizes at the Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park, perhaps on your next visit we can arange an Executive Room for you.

Please feel free to let me know when you are next in the area, my number is 01608 673333.
Regards
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Firstly, the property is relatively new (opened 2010) and set in lovely grounds. The "hard product" is excellent; i.e. the standard of rooms and overall appearance. That is were it ends! Scratch the surface and the property is simply unacceptable.

Mobile phone signal: - this is a hotel situated between Oxford and Banbury, southern United Kingdom (about 55 miles from London). Yes it is "rural" but NOT in "the middle of nowhere". The hotel is marketed as a conference and business hotel. There is NO mobile phone signal save for Orange, which works only on GPRS when sat near the reception desk. Therefore it is impossible to conduct a telephone call in private and/or use data services. For a business grade UK hotel in 2012 this is absolutely ridiculous. Reading through other reviews on Trip Advisor the "Resort Director" will assure reviewers (way back to early 2011) that this is being sorted "within a few weeks". Well, how come in the 2nd quarter of 2012 this is still an ongoing issue? The cynical side of me suggests the hotel is "happy" with this situation in order to boost revenue from expensive in room telephone calls and/or expensive in room internet. I have to wonder how the hotel remains a serious contender in the conference business with this situation.

Other reviewers have made negative comment concerning the restaurant. Well, they are correct. Staff treated me (a single diner) with contempt. Shown to the worse table in the house early in the service. Couples were given the choice of favourable tables. PC Platinum? Don't expect that to work in the restaurant if alone!

Standard of food was diabolical. Breakfast is charged at £20, you can obtain the "discounted" price of £14.95 on check in. For that price I expect an extensive buffet not the "rubbish" offered at this property. No hash browns, no black pudding, no fried bread, just undercooked sausage, overcooked bacon, and "scrambled egg" resembling some powdered rubbish served in World War 2! The pastries were a sorry looking collection of a few croissants and indescribable bread items in a basket in the corner of the room! I have saw better presented and better stocked breakfast buffets in budget hotels. For the price, this is nothing short of a disgrace!

The lounge menu was the usual collection of burgers and comfort food; however, I asked for a simple cooking request; i.e. bacon to be well done and crispy, it came back pink with fat all over it! Price? Over £16, again a disgrace!

This is a 4 star hotel; however, the mini bar needs to be "requested"; obviously don't trust the customers at this property! However, in my case I also needed to request the fridge! I was in an executive room and there was no fridge to fill with mini bar goods! What on earth is going on?

On the Sunday, my room was serviced at 15:30. I had been out all morning. This again is not acceptable. The new hotel "day" commences at 14:00. One does not want to be sitting in one's room waiting for housekeeping to turn up late afternoon/early evening. I would like to relax knowing I am not going to be interrupted.

Check out was equally farcical with not enough staff even though the property knew a conference was checking in early Monday morning. Therefore a 10 minute wait to check out! And when I did check out I was given someone else's bill!

Overall this is the worse IHG property I have stayed at in over 3 years. Without doubt it is the worse level of service experienced at an IHG property within the UK in the over 12 years I have been regularly sending my business.

A total disgrace, get it sorted!

Room Tip: PC Platinum should secure you an upgrade at this property.