All reviews country park housing estate hunting lodge wedding reception wedding venue four poster bed wedding breakfast bar menu enjoyable stay sat nav stayed here for one night buffet style tea and coffee full english gothic parkland radiator
Reviewed 24 August 2018 via mobile

Exceptional service, good food, nice pint and a beautiful and fascinating building.
So the floorboards sometimes creak and it shows its' age a little. All part of the charm.
This is the sort of place I'd choose for a quiet, relaxing break anytime.
I definitely hope to return.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
GeneralManager17, Manager at Best Western Bestwood Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Thank you for your review!

We are pleased to hear that you had a 'really great weeks stay'.

We would welcome you back again and again, and can show you over and over why Bestwood Lodge is a special place. We love, as you do, the charm that comes with a stunning old building, steeped in history and royal roots.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

We do hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband in August 2018. Let me start by saying that the very FEW staff on duty were mostly quite helpful but read on. We just saw two staff throughout the whole evening, one on desk duty and one waitressing in the restaurant on all tables. In the morning there was one staff member on reception (the same lady who was on duty the previous evening) and just one staff member in the dining room waiting on ALL the tables. They did their very best with obviously limited resources! Initially our stay was very enjoyable and our meal in the restaurant was excellent. However, breakfast was the worst experience ever, with dirty crockery on the tables, no lids for teapots, dried up food, no bacon readily available, a toaster that only half worked but no bread to put in it anyway, no side plates by the toaster to put the toast on, no serviettes and a chef that thought sort poached eggs meant ones that looked like fried eggs with the whites uncooked and were sent back!
The wardrobe in our room had a broken door and the shower was downright dangerous with not a slip mat in sight. Was booked for a further few days Aug through to September but cancelled all bookings as absolutely disgraceful. Would never want to stay here again. The owners should be bought to task and ashamed of themselves!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cheryl U

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

We are very disappointed to hear that although you thoroughly enjoyed your meal in the Restaurant and that the staff were great you cancelled your future bookings with us.

I apologise if breakfast didn't meet your requirements - I have fed this back to the chef who is looking into what may have gone wrong on that occasion and have also spoken at length with the Restaurant Manager regarding service standards, therefore I apologise again.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed at the Bestwood lodge on the 18th-19th aug! Will not be making that mistake again! Paid £110 for a Dirty damp, smelly room, curtains not fit to rail properly so couldn’t be closed, peeling wallpaper, dead insects on the window, (and live ones) then a fall down the spiral stairs on my way to reception! But it’s okay because I was offered a free coffee! 20 of us stayed there that night and not one us will ever stay again. Emailed customer service as advised by the young girl on reception to discuss a refund and still haven’t had a response! Best part of the stay was check out. Wouldn’t ever recommend to anyone

3  Thank Lisa L
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed here in a family room £110 pounds what a joke damp carpet large damp patch on the wall above the bed shower cubicle was full of what looked like rust stains bed had a smell of damp as if they had been left made for weeks on returning from a function in the evening the place was wide open with no sign of any staff security is very very lacks after we checked out we found my daughter had left a ring which wasnt worth alot but had alot of sentimental value to her we returned to the hotel to be told it hadnt been found very strange as she said it was left on top of one of the bedside tables please do not waste your money here

1  Thank ste S

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear that your room didn't meet your expectations. I have checked the family rooms and have advised, where required, for our Housekeeping Team to check over the points. I can assure you that we are a very busy hotel and rooms are not sat vacant for a long period of time, therefore cannot understand the 'damp' smell in the room - although I have advised the Housekeeper to keep an eye on this.

We have a skilled night team who work through the night setting up function rooms, cleaning, working the bars and manning reception, therefore plenty of staff around to ensure your safety. The doors are locked at a specific time and there is an intercom which calls the Night Porter to allow access to residents only - this has been an effective system for the last few years with no complaints.

I am saddened to hear that your daughter lost her ring, following vacating her room, and also disappointed to hear that it wasn't found in the room.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Feel like I’ve been ripped off with this price but needed a room! Very tired hotel and room, no iron or hairdryer in the room, phone not working so couldn’t request one and didn’t have time or energy to go back to reception. Shower poor, WIFI very poor, key card temperamental. Barman was nice and helpful. 2 different prices given for breakfast, odd as I thought it was one price! Went to Sainsburys instead.

Shame because it could be so nice.

Won’t stay here again or recommend.

2  Thank Lindyjw
GeneralManager17, Manager at Best Western Bestwood Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2018

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear that your stay with us didn't meet your requirements.

I have asked Housekeeping to replace the hairdryer in the room, as this must have been misplaced by a previous guests, irons & ironing boards, as it states in the Guest Directory, as available upon request, and we would have gladly brought one to your room. I have called an engineer who will be visiting to check the line in 35, although we have done a test in house and all appears to work fine.

I am delighted to hear that the Bar man was helpful & nice.

Breakfast has one price, £11.95 per person, however on check in or if pre-booked before your stay, we offer a discounted rate of £9.50 - therefore apologies for any confusion.

Thank you again for taking the time to review your recent stay.