“Better than expected.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Nottingham
London
“Better than expected.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

After reading the reviews I was not expecting much, a small little cubby hole with few modern fittings, however I was plesantly surprised. I booked two rooms at a fantastic rate, that included breakfast. Check in was fine, was greeted by a lady called imogen (i think) she checked me in and off me and my boys went. My son had the smallest of the rooms which for a single teenager was fine, it had a modern shower room a comfy bed and a good size TV, there was a teeny tiny window, but seemed to let enough light through.

My room was bigger with a good size bathroom. I had a shower over bath combo, again a tiny little window, but let lots of light in. Although I was fine with my rooms, apparently there are smaller and not sure I would like to be in one of those rooms. I think the rooms I had were fine for a couple staying for a few days, but staying for a longer trip with suitcases and all, it may become a bit clustophobic.

One thing I really have to point out is the staff here are fantastic, Imogen was professional and friendly, many times I have come across professional to the point of rude, Imogen was not at all like this. She helped me with my taxi bookings and was always on the ball and accomodating, Johnathan too was brilliant, the poor chap was given the task of cleaning my toddler son's sick, but he did this with no fuss, poor lad was running around manning the bar and all sorts but he did all this with a smile, managment should realise that staff like this are hard to come by and should really not put so much upon them as it is staff like this whom "make" your hotel and keep it in the top scores. I had a few little issues but these were swiftly recified, everybody was friendly and couldn't do enough to help me.

So why only 4 stars? There were a few little issues such as my bathroom having a foul smell of drains, however once reported the maintanence guy was up within 30 minutes and sorted everything out, my room was missing body lotion, the housekeeper did not replenish my tea and sugar, my room and the hotel in general was super hot, the AC is very good and managed to cool me down, but had to keep it on all night so the buzzing noise was irritating as I am a light sleeper, the room I was in was poorly laid out with sockets, there is a hairdryer in the room, but nowhere to plug it near a mirror, I had my straightners and had to borrow a extension lead so it could reach the mirror, my bathroom mirror lights were blown, but the strangest issue was breakfast.

I ordered breakfast room service and I mistakenly sent it to my sons room on the docket and he did not hear the knocking when it arrived due to being in the shower, it got past the time I ordered so I decided to look out the peephole just to see if they were coming and to my surpise the breakfast was left on the floor, uncovered, I have never experienced this, usually if there is no answer from the room, the food is simply left in the room. This is a case of health and hygene, one does not know who has been by and done something to the food, or if a little mouse took a nibble (not that I am suggesting there are mice), I found this quite shocking to be honest, BUT with that said when I complained to Reception, it was dealt with swiftly with no issue and a replacement offered...Again that wonderful service and professionalism defused a highly annoying situation.

The location is excellent, and my son enjoyed the tram :-) I am due to visit Notts again in the next few weeks and will certainly book here again! keep up the good work guys.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2013
Thank you for choosing the Mercure Hotel Nottingham and writing a review.
We do hope that you consider using our hotel again next time you are visiting Nottingham City Center.
Group Operations Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

We weren't expecting much from Mercure, but this stay was a pleasant surprise. Requesting a quiet room got us a room on the top floor, which turned out to be a suite. Two large TVs - one in the bedroom, one in the lounge, and a large bathroom and very comfortable bed. Robes and slippers were provided, too. Each bit of the suite had its own air-conditioning unit which worked perfectly (and was quiet) and the bathroom mirror appeared to have a movement sensor which meant it came on as soon as you walked in the room - just a great idea as a night-light that doesn't wake anyone else up! Downsides were that the sofa in the 'lounge' half of the room was a pull-out bed, and as soon as you sat on it, the cushion slid off. We gave up and sat on the floor! It took 15 minutes of ringing downstairs late at night before anyone answered the phone, and in the bathroom they provide combined shampoo/conditioner which is crappy and made my hair feel claggy. The windows are all opaque glass, so no views and the residual noise from other parts of the hotel was really loud (doors slamming on other floors!) so yet again, a building with no dampening or sound-proofing. I wish hotel builders occasionally slept in the rooms they charge us for! The reception area is a little off-putting, kinda grey and poky, but the room was very nice and the staff were good too. If you're driving there, good luck getting to the place - Nottingham seems mostly to be one colossal one-way system.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Kidderminster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed 2 nights for my wifes special birthday.We had a lovely stay.The staff were all friendly and helpful and and made it very special for my wife,in particular Chris the manager and Deborah the lady in the breakfast room were all fantastic,and gave us lots of advice about where to go and what to do around Nottingham.
The room was spacious the bed was very comfortable and the shower was great!!!
We would stay again in this comfortable central hotel. The only thing we can complain about was the terrible weather!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed at the Hotel for my birthday as my daughter lives just round the corner. My only gripe really was the size of the room, it was ridiculous. Me and my girlfriend stayed in room 314 which I payed £119 for which reading other reviews is fairly expensive. It was barely big enough to contain a double bed, definitely should be a single room so try to avoid it if you can. Friendly staff though and lovely breakfast.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel as it had a 30% discount deal when I booked which made it slightly cheaper than the Premier Inn and Travelodge I've stayed at in the city before. The location of the hotel is perfect - right in the centre of town but no problem with noise in the room I stayed in, and this was at a weekend too. The room itself was compact, but perfectly formed with a huge flat screen TV and perhaps the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

The only criticism I can have is that the tap in the bathroom didn't seem to have much pressure (that'll be the 1822 plumbing) but the shower was very powerful and held a constant temperature.

The hotel will be my first choice on my return to Nottingham, and that's all I really need to say!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank peardr0ps
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure Nottingham City Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Lovely to hear that you enjoyed staying with us on our Spring Offer. Thank you for taking the time to post your postive comments about your room and comfy bed!
Even after experiencing the quirks of our 1822 plumbing, the team were pleased to read that the Mercure will be your first choice when returning to Nottingham.