“Unsatisfactory”

John Lewis Espresso Bar
Ranked #992 of 1,362 Restaurants in Nottingham
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Have visited this restaurant on numerous occasions and it was always satisfactory even during busy times. On our recent visit for lunch at around 12 noon there were no trays to be found anywhere. When a manager did bring some trays the number of people waiting to get a hot drink at the food counter meant you could not get served a hot meal. Staff did not seem to be overly bothered. The hot food looked dried out from standing too long under lights. We decided it was not worth waiting for and went elsewhere for lunch. Not the normal experience you expect from a John Lewis st

2  Thank Carrot01

Reviewed 4 April 2018

We visited there smaller cafe was unable to take our vouchers anymore since a refurbishment.
This Restraunt was noisy and like a motorway Cafe.We had to que for ages and could hardly hear ourselfs speak.We could t wait to get out of there and wouldn’t visit again even with the free voucher for cake and coffee

1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed 5 March 2018

I’d not long joined the my John Lewis rewards scheme when I got my first money off coupon. I went shopping in the Victoria Centre and decided to have my free cup of tea and cake, and very nice it was too. The staff are really friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 15 February 2018

My wife & I called into the John Lewis Espresso Bar in Nottingham as opposed to the John Lewis “Place to Eat” restaurant we usually visit when in town. We have passed it in the past but it has always been full so have not been in and I don’t like hanging about waiting for someone to leave.

Anyway on this occasion we were lucky even though it was midday. There were some of the tables with upholstered seats and some with the stacking type chairs we chose the table for two with upholstered seats. The atmosphere in the room is much cosier than the upstairs “Place to Eat” restaurant. There are carpeted sections for the tables with subdued lighting and apart from the background noise is people chatting is much quieter.

There was no queue at the counter so we were served straight away, I had cappuccino and a slice of carrot cake and my wife had a pot of tea and a slice of chocolate cake, the drinks were hot and both cakes were moist and tasty. As it is an Espresso Bar they only serve drinks and cakes, no hot food but for us it’s fine much better than queuing for ages in the upstairs restaurant.

You can access the Espresso Bar from the perfume section of JL on the first floor or you can get direct access from the shopping mall.

This Espresso Bar is a vast improvement on the John Lewis “Place to Eat” restaurant if you only want drinks and a cake, the only drawback is with the limited space it soon gets full, and by the way if you use your My John Lewis loyalty card you get a voucher for a free drink & cake every month.

Mr-Mist47

Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

Went with my husband for coffee as we were shopping in the store. We decided to have toast as well. Big mistake! Stood in the queue 20mins for 2 slices
of toast and 2 teas. If staff had moved any slower they'd have stopped! Cooked breakfast looked disgusting. This place has really gone down hill. They've got rid of the chef's and it certainly shows in the quality of the food. False economy, John Lewis!