All reviews railway line comedy night grand union canal station hotel sunday roast function room the pub wedding reception wedding breakfast comfortable rooms pot roast full english hot water wedding venue waiting staff following morning stayed for one night
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We got married at the Walnut Tree Inn last week and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed by the whole experience.

Bex the wedding co-ordinator is outstanding. She made our day run smoothly and followed all our ideas to create the perfect setting for our big day. I have to say she is an asset to the Walnut Tree Inn- thankyou so much Bex. From our first meeting to the wedding you were marvelous.

With regards to the hotel itself the staff worked tirelessly to change the rooms over from the ceremony-wedding breakfast-nighttime. It worked perfectly. The new renovations in the bar area are fab and there is much more space for the wedding party to mingle while the rooms are being changed over. The whole downstairs area of the hotel looks wonderful, clean and fresh. Good selection at the bar.

The food was great- we went for prawn cocktail/ beef roast & treacle tart for our wedding breakfast and then the hog roast. No complaints- it was great. All dietary requirements were met with ease.

The hotel rooms are clean and well equipt- the family rooms are huge! All I would say is that the hotel makes some very interesting noises through the night! I'm guessing it is the water pipes! We all commented on it, although it didn't disrupt us. Although the hotel is right next to the train track and trains do pass- they aren't disruptive and we made a game of spotting the trains our of the window with our children.

All in all, the hotel and staff worked very hard to help us achieve our wedding which was a success and well worth the money paid.

If you are booking a wedding here I would thoroughly recommend everything except the DJ- we were guided to the in house DJ and I spoke to him a few times about music we wanted playing and it was not met. We got the usual cheesy wedding stuff that really isnt what we wanted at all. Although I sent him a list of songs/ styles and on the night I asked him to load the email I sent weeks ago- he didnt have them on CD which I found bizzarre. After a talking to on the night I did get a few songs in that we wanted but I should of had to pester him! The set up didnt look professional and the lights are already part of the venue- so I wasnt sure what we paid quite alot of money for. I wish we had looked into other DJs or just used my Ipod!

But that is not taking away from our experience and isnt taking away from the fab venue.

Thankyou all for a lovely day

Ashleigh & Aaron

-I will add photos to this post when I have them back-

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Pleasant place but in need of a reburb! Over priced food and room rates in my opinion. £94 for large double room. Bed dipped in the middle, shower needed descaling and no window or extractor fan in bathroom.
It had rained a lot and there was many leaks in the ceilings around the building.
Staff are very nice and the bar area is very inviting with an open fire place and newly decorated.
Food over priced! I ordered turbot and had to pick 13 bones out of it!!! And paid £16 for the inconvenience.
Burger and chips £11.95! Lovely chips but nothing special to be honest.
Reception not manned enough waited long time to check out, staff member on his own cooking breakfast and reception! Shame.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

I am living on my narrow boat on the Grand Union canal at Gayton Junction just 15 minutes walk from this great little pub.
A friend who lives nearby suggested we meet up for dinner on March 1st.
A short while after arranging he phoned me to say that they had a comedy night on so we decided to try that out too.
I met him at the pub and we got a couple of drinks and found a table.
A look at the menu revealed that the food was mid-priced, neither bargain basement nor was it wildly expensive.
I ordered A Walnut Tree Burger with bacon which came with triple fried chips, whatever that means! My friend ordered hand battered cod and triple fried chips, there they are again!
The food was served in a timely manner and was on a plate, no pretentious slates or wooden boards here although the triple fried chips were stacked Jenga style in a small deep frying cage type thing, whatever they’re called.
My burger was delicious as were the triple fried chips, although I’d like to compare them to single fried and double fried chips one day although I suspect the chef may not be too happy when I place that order!

Plates empty and stomachs full we were ushered to the auditorium (back room with chairs and tables) for the comedy, having already paid for our tickets upon arrival.
Due to the inclement weather, snow and freezing temperature only 30 people turned up of the 90 tickets sold.
There were three acts in total plus a compere and the standard of the comedy was excellent.
All in all a great venue, great food, friendly staff and a great show.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

We came back to the Walnut tree for a three course dinner and stay over for Valentines weekend. We had our wedding reception here last year and loved it so much we keep coming back. Its the team that make this please so great, they are all so friendly and helpful, literally can’t do enough for you. The food as always was amazing, we had a great time! Without a doubt this is our favourite place ❤️

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2018

2 nights Feb 2018, Had room 5 The Bridal Suite. No phone in room so had to use mobile to call reception. Noisy guests in room 6 at 23:30 called reception and they quickly dealt with the problem. Poor selection on buffet table at breakfast. No fruit or self service coffee. Although the high speed railway is close by it didnt effect our sleep. Its a small hotel (11 rooms) but the reception needs to be staffed continually - we had to wait a couple of times. Heard talk about Blisworth Station being re-opened that would make this a goldmine.

Room Tip: The front rooms face the railway but view is better
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple