“Absolutely superb”
Review of La Vecchia Scuola

La Vecchia Scuola
Reserve with OpenTable
La Vecchia Scuola is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #96 of 993 Restaurants in York
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: La Vecchia Scuola is a unique dining experience that can be found in Low Petergate, York very close to the Minster. An amazing restaurant set in a 300 year old Georgian building that was once York college for girls. This restaurant is now operated by new owners from February 2013. It has an innovative new menu with all food sourced locally and prepared for customer onsite.
Reviewed 15 December 2017

What a fabulous find in the centre of York. Lovely spacious restaurant with a good atmosphere, excellent staff and the food was out of this world. You are greeted at the door and shown to your table. The service is excellent, attentive but not over the top. Tables are large and you are not crammed together. We ordered from the Christmas menus which I think was 18.95 for 2 courses and is excellent value. I have to say the slow roast belly pork starter was to die for. Also up for special mention is the mushroom risotto. I never thought a risotto could taste that good. There is plenty on the menus to tempt all tastes, so much in fact and the meal was that good we booked again for the next night. I would say give this restaurant a go first, you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

What an amazing restaurant! The service was superb the food was absolutely fab. Everything was just perfect. We had a really lovely waiter we was attentive without being over the top, we all really liked the time between courses. It was overall a fantastic experience.

Incidentally I did see a really negative review on here from a diner that was on a large table in the restaurant the same time as me. Really can’t help but feel he’s over exaggerated a lot of what he’s said. Some people like to complain for the sake of complaining.

2  Thank Charlotte W
Reviewed 11 December 2017

We booked a table well in advance for Saturday night, and were not disappointed.

The food was really amazing (recommend the sea bass ravioli), staff ever so friendly, wine excellent, but the highlight was the pianist who took requests. It brought the whole place to life.

Only downside was that the toilets could do with an update, but they were clean.

2  Thank ItalyTraveller16
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

We ate here as part of a booking of 17. The service was absolutely appalling and the staff were very unhelpful.

Around 15 minutes after being shown to our seats I approached the bar to try to order a drink as we had not been offered one. The bar man quite rudely refused and told me I would need need to ask a waitress. This was extremely annoying as there was nobody attending to our table and it took at least another 10-15 minutes before a drinks order was taken.

Throughout the 1hr and a half or maybe 2 hours that we were there, we were offered only one drink. The waitress messed up the order and brought out the wrong sauce with the steak (Diane instead of peppercorn) so that was one of the meals ruined. Instead of apologising, she had a cocky attitude and accused one of our party of lying about requesting peppercorn sauce (again extremely annoying).

Come the end of the meal, they had the brass neck to add a £24 service charge to the bill.

The festive menu also was not served until 4pm which seemed strange a fortnight before Christmas. The restaurant lacked a festive feeling and you got the feeling they were not really up to handling a table of 17 people.

1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

Called here for lunch here today 9/12/17 After eating here many times and must say it's the worst experience I've ever had here! Sat in a side room that blew a gale every time the door opened.
One of our party had the steak (of which there was a £2 supplement which was a total rip off as it was mainly fat and gristle!) When I complained to the manager I then got a lecture on beef!!!!
There was a very long wait between courses as well. Overall a very bad experience!