“Tasty snacks & a good pot of tea.”
Review of Browns Teahouse

Browns Teahouse
Ranked #781 of 930 Restaurants in York
Reviewed 28 May 2021

We called mid afternoon & sat outside in the square. Well looked after by enthusiastic young staff. Very Covid conscious. Thank you.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (102)

Reviewed 20 May 2021

Went today for cream tea - we’ve been a few times before (including last November between lockdowns) and it’s been lovely. Today it was awful - took ages to get the servers attention, then we were sat at a dirty table. Drinks arrived first and then my ‘cream scone’ arrived. It was actually a little dish of cream, some jam and something that I assume was supposed to be a scone - it looked like a lump of cake and when I touched it it disintegrated - it was warm/hot and was like a wet sponge underneath - I’ve never seen anything like it. I think it had been microwaved on ‘high’ - yuk - suffice to say we left the lot, we won’t be going back.

Note to whoever expects to profit from this cafe - you need to get your staff trained in COVID, customer service and food preparation - to be honest if we had read the reviews before we would have given it a miss.

Date of visit: May 2021
1  Thank Balikissangel
Reviewed 28 December 2020 via mobile

Considering Browns is quite a well renowned department store in York, the cafe is pretty poor.
Absolutely no social distancing with the tables. 4 tables crammed in to one corner. I had to squeeze past two chairs on two other tables to get out. The table hadn’t been wiped down as you could see the plate and drink marks. The people sat behind us left and a new family came and sat on the same table about 10 minutes later...the table had not been cleaned. Our cutlery was dirty too.
When someone eventually came to take our order we were asked for our name and number for track and trace or to use the app. Why they bother I don’t know as everyone is so cramped in. I’m surprised the staff haven’t caught Covid.

The food was dire. I ordered the chicken burger with smashed avocado. The chicken was dry, completely unseasoned on soggy mixed lettuce leaves which I had to take out and giant slices of avocado.
My son had the steak burger which again was completely dry apart from the soggy lettuce.
My partners panini wasn’t too bad.
For those 3 “meals” and 3 cold drinks, it came to £35 which was way overpriced.

Really quite disappointing for somewhere such as Browns.

Date of visit: December 2020
Reviewed 3 November 2020

We sat outside and was approached by a very miserable waiter. It seemed like it was too much trouble for him to serve us. I would like to say that this is an isolated case but visited 7 weeks ago and received the same reception. Wont bother again. It seems to work here you have to have the couldn't care less attitude. Don't know how it keeps going especially at the moment when I thought they would be happy to have custom.

Date of visit: November 2020
1  Thank AllyB103
Reviewed 1 November 2020 via mobile

Called in today for coffee and cakes and after being ignored for a short while we were seated and told it was table service and someone would come to take our order.
We sat and waited and nobody came, nobody even looked in our direction for us to get their attention so we left.

Date of visit: November 2020