All reviews parking permit a hot water bottle perfect poached eggs with tea coffee making facilities restaurants and shops nice guesthouse city centre four poster biscuits on arrival long weekend front of the house minute stroll family room double room street parking york races
Reviewed 6 March 2018

My group and I had a wonderful experience at the DGH. Everything was clean and orderly. The breakfast was delightful and the servious was great. The owner Mike was an excellent host and he has the cutest dogs.
If I ever make my way back to York I'll be sure to stay again!

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 January 2018

We have stayed at the Dairy a few times now and have seen such wonderful changes that the owner Mike has made during his four year tenure, The rooms were a little tired but they are now completely renovated and Mike has such lovely taste. We have stayed in several of the rooms and recently whilst celebrating a special birthday we stayed in the four-poster room and it is beautiful with a king size bed and a window seat to watch the comings and goings on 'Bishy Road'. Everything that you could possibly want are provided even a hot water bottle for those really cold nights but the duvet and extra blanket were enough for us. The breakfasts are delicious and filling the pork and cracked black pepper sausage are definitely worth a mention. You order your breakfast the day before so it is all freshly cooked for when you come down. The hotel has a secret courtyard at the back which is really peaceful and a great place to relax with a glass of wine and a book after a hectic day sightseeing. We always book direct with Mike for the very best deals which he saves for those who make the effort and don't use a third party website. Parking is free and just across the road and the wi-fi is always on. We will be back in early Summer and look forward to seeing the changes that Mike was planning during his winter closure this year.

Room Tip: Book direct with MIke and spend the money you save on a Fat Rascal at Betty's!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 December 2017

For each of the last 3 years we have visited York in December and stayed at the DGH. Mike really puts himself out to try to be helpful and seems to have a wealth of local knowledge.
Each year there seems to have been further improvements made to the rooms which make this B&B particularly good value.
Breakfast is excellent, it is great to have permit parking offered almost on the doorstep and the local 'Bishy Road' shops are a bonus over and above the main attractions in the city centre.
I'm pretty sure we will be back.

Room Tip: Most rooms seems newly refurbished so we have no strong preference.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

My partner and I spent two nights here in a gorgeous first floor room facing the front. The windows overlook a busy road junction, but with the secondary glazing you remained unaware of the bustle outside.
The decor of the room and the public spaces had beautiful architectural detailing picked out in gold. The period features were everywhere and included some wonderful encaustic floor tiles. There was an extensive range of drinks and biscuits available in the bedroom and the whole place was spotless. A lovely touch was the tastefully decorated Christmas tree in the dining area. There is an attractive courtyard to the rear, which I’m sure would be a lovely space to sit in the summer.
There were a number of options for Breakfast. The cooked breakfast was generous and delicious.
Mike, our host, was friendly and welcoming, dashing out to hand us the parking permit.
There is one sticking point, which prevents us giving the Dairy Guest House a five star rating and that is the inflexibility of the check in times. We had a long journey and it was made clear to us that we would not be allowed in outside the 4 - 6pm period. When we’d broached this earlier in the week, we were informed that the only option was to cancel our reservation with no guarantee of a refund. While I appreciate that the proprietor and his staff need a home life, it seems strange to have these sort of limits for a Friday evening when some guests may have to travel from work. As it happens, we had to travel through some heavy snow and difficult road conditions to meet this deadline. It felt like the sort of stress you get when trying to catch a flight. There is no mention of these check in restrictions on the B& B’s website or certainly nothing obvious. Although it’s unfortunate to end on such a negative note for what was a wonderful stay, I do feel that it is important to caution other potential guests on this matter.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Mike B, Owner at Dairy Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear DavidLLoyd1961 first of all I am so pleased that you enjoyed the hospitality and decor on offer here at the Dairy, I take great efforts to provide my guests with a memorable stay in our beautiful city. I would just like to address the 'sticking point' with regard to check-in times. On my website and all the OTA websites that sell my rooms my check in times are clearly displayed as 10am to 6pm a generous eight hour window not the 4pm to 6pm two hour window that you erroneously mention above. When you booked way back in July I sent you a personal confirmation email that asked you to let me know when you wanted to arrive so that I could plan my day as I do with all my guests. You failed to reply and ignored it for five months until four days before your arrival date to announce that you would be arriving four hours AFTER check in closed. It was at this point that I had to inform you that such a late check in would not be possible. I am saddened that two teachers, of all people, would caution potential guests with such factual inaccuracies, whilst absolving themselves of any responsibility for their stressful journey. I am one of the few accommodation providers who offers such an early check in and my guests are always enormously grateful for the facility. Those people who require a late night check in are well served by many of my fellow innkeepers.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate his birthday. The guest house is well located, only a 10 minute stroll from the centre of York. We stayed in the four poster room which was clean and well equiped having been recently renovated. The owner, Mike, was very friendly and made a mean breakfast! We would definitely stay here again on a future trip to York.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple