New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hedley House Hotel

Hedley House Hotel
Ranked #18 of 46 Hotels in York
Bristol, United Kingdom
“First Class - Very Well Run”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Clean, spacious, welcoming and exceptionally well run hotel. From the moment we arrived, we knew we were going to have a fabulous time. Our room was ready and the parking is right outside the back entrance which made it really convenient for bringing in our bags. Louise welcomed us and we found our room exceptionally comfortable, clean and spacious with no comfort spared. Breakfast didn't disappoint with a great selection of cereals, fruit salad or grapefruit segments, juices, full english or as you like it, tea and coffee. Prompt efficient service. Very well situated for York Minster and all the sites around the town. Highly recommended. Thnk you for a great couple of days.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights in this hotel in the heart of York. We arrived early but were allowed to check in as our room had not been used the previous evening. We had requested a twin room and were put on the ground floor in a room with a double bed and 2 singles. The bathroom was spacious with disabled shower complete with pull down seat. The room was a good size with a double sofa in the bay window. There were tea and coffee making facilties, an ironing board and iron and plenty of storage.
The room was clean as was the rest of the hotel. We noted the jacuzzi in the garden but had not been aware of its presence so did not try it out.
We had an evening meal on our first night. The choice of food was good and the food itself delicious served in a contemporary dining room by a lovely girl who also cooked it and was doing the bar that evening. She did a brilliant job!
Map of city and a guide book was given on arrival which would be helpful for anyone not familiar with York and two routes into town described by receptionist both only a few minutes in length.
There is a rail line at the front of the hotel and the last train we heard was shortly after 10.30 but nothing disturbed us early morning.
The staff were very pleasant and the breakfast freshly cooked with a good selection of very tasty foods.
We would stay here again. Thank you.

1 Thank dancingassassin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We stayed at HHH as a last minute break. We know York quite well and have stayed at a number of different places across the city and so have a fair idea of what is available throughout the city.

To start with some of the negatives:

Some of the decor in the rooms is a little tired and a little "1990s corporate." Which is OK, but gives an impression of faded aspiration, rather than louche faded grandeur. (I had a sense that the hotel could be so much more... For example, a somewhat marked, pea-soup green carpet isn't perhaps the most appealing, particularly when contrasted with the funkier modern photography of York on the walls.)

Cleanliness was OK, but not great. There were some interesting finds under the beds (two odd socks, some hairgrips and a condom wrapper.) I might be a little picky here - after all, I dread to think what I would find under my bed at home- but of course, my home isn't a hotel. And in case you are thinking I'm being a little unfair - who checks *under* beds? - the bed moved of its own accord when I tripped and fell onto it. Not my best day. Not the most secure bed. Not the most pleasing of finds.

The mattress on the bed itself was not hugely comfortable. I'm not particularly fussy when it comes to beds, but it did feel a bit like sleeping on a sprung plank. Someone else might find it perfect. For me, too hard. But you can't please everyone I guess. The bedding was definitely on the tired side: as a positive, yes, white high threadcount cotton sheeting. But there were definitely more than a few iron marks (not dirt, admittedly, but offputting) and the sheeting was looking a little, well, worn.

My particular niggle however in the in way that information was displayed. Rather than a neat room pack with details regarding breakfast times, general housekeeping, special features, etc, pretty much everything is displayed on large notice boards in the corridors and halls. This seems like a wasted opportunity to me: when lolling about in my room, I might feel tempted to browse the hotel menu and then later eat in, or look at the DVD list and borrow a film. I might even be tempted to indulge myself with bottle of wine and gluten free snack - or pamper myself with a spa bath or sauna - but having to wander out into the corridor to see what the hotel has to offer takes me away from my safe cocoon. I like my safe cocoon! Further, noticeboards remind me of school (and who wants to be reminded of school when they are on holiday?)

For the positives:

The staff are friendly, helpful, attentive without being overbearing and appear to like people. (This is not always the case in hotels in York...) Nothing is too much trouble and if there is a problem, they don't fire out accusatory looks or look personally hurt, they just get it sorted.

The location is great. Close to everything and yet far enough away from the more "bustling" side of York nightlife.

The hotel has more extras than you'd think (but back to the room pack thing - you'd need to spend a while in the hall to really learn about them)

Breakfast is locally sourced, tasty and surprisingly flexible. The home-made granola is well worth trying, the fruit salad very tartly dressed and the yogurt copious and thick. Breakfast being served until 10 at weekends is joyous. Ah, a lie-in! Grilled "full English" rather than fried is also a plus, but the portions aren't typically "Yorkshire" sized. However, I dare say I could have asked for an extra sausage or rasher of bacon and the request would have been met without batting an eyelid. I didn't because I am English and polite - and didn't want to be greedy.

Over all, HHH is a friendly, well located, not unreasonably priced hotel, but I had the sense that it could be so much more if a little more attention was paid to the small things. I'd prefer to give it 3.5 Trip Advisor stars (but TA doesn't allow for such subtleties) It could be great, but as it is, it's a comfortable average lifted by the quality of its staff.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank LickerofPlates
ThebossYork, Owner at Hedley House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Licker of plates (e-mail address supplied on TA)

I was always taught to do 3 positives and then the negatives…;-)

Thank you for the amusing review. It did make me smile.

I’m glad you’re not fussy about beds, as you say a firm, flat, well sprung quality bed isn’t to everyone’s taste.

We operate a continuous rolling system of replenishing bedding when it comes to the end of its life. I am glad it was clean and you saw evidence that is was ironed as I sometimes question what the laundry team do all day!!

We have just had a very busy period and I will bring forward the scheduled deep clean that includes lifting all the beds

If any other readers have lost a sock please get in touch!

There should be an information folder in each room but I am glad you found out all the hotel has to offer including the gluten free snacks, the great value quality wine and the hotels leisure facilities.

I hope you will be back soon and we will ensure you have another comfortable stay

Regards

Greg Harrand
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed at Hedley House after recommendation by friend and were not disappointed.
Great location, very comfortable accomodation, very helpful staff and a lovely evening meal. also great to have offstreet parking.
Would definitely stay again

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Leeds, West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed at Hedley House in April for just the one night....wish we had booked a couple more nights. Lovely looking hotel in a superb location. Take a right out of the front door, walk for 5 minutes and you are right by the River. The rooms...nice and spacious, warm and spotlessly clean. Lovely evening meal, a nice atmosphere followed by a superb breakfast. Perfect hotel...perfect location...perfect time...Thankyou, John and Nichola Hamilton.