“Lovely Anniversary dinner”

Bennett's Cafe & Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Bennett's Cafe & Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 929 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Bennett's Cafe and Bistro is located right in the heart of York with incredible views of York Minster. Serving wonderful homemade cakes and scones daily, and delicious locally sourced evening meals from 5.30Pm Tuesday-Saturday, Bennett's has something to suit everyones tastes.
Reviewed 17 March 2015

Booked to eat here for our anniversary and loved it. Food was delicious and so well presented. Lovely, quaint little bistro. If we lived locally, this would become a firm favourite!

3  Thank Jen0307

Reviewed 17 March 2015

I was supposed to go to this restaurant several weeks before I actually did but I was ill. When I arrived the staff remembered and asked if I was better - such a lovely gesture. The staff were attentive throughout the meal. The food was very good and great value. I will be going again and also trying in the day time. It is a lovely setting with a good view of the Minster area.

1  Thank Lynd50
Reviewed 15 March 2015 via mobile

What a great little place to eat in the evening. The food is fantastic! Exceeded my expectations. Would visit again.

1  Thank Julia A
Reviewed 13 March 2015

Bennett's is cafe during the day and because of this, I wasn't sure how successful if would be at transforming into a bistro on an evening, but I went here recently with a group of friends and was very pleasantly surprised at what a fantastic dining venue it is. I think it would be beneficial to Bennett's to re-brand themselves as a 'bistro and cafe bar' rather than a 'cafe that offers bistro dining'?
The cafe had been transformed from it's daytime setting to a lovely, cosy candle lit bistro - I think there was ambient music but we were chatting so much, I can't quite remember. The waitress on duty was outstanding. She remembered what everyone had ordered so was able to serve the correct dish to each person without asking what they had ordered. She offered drinks as soon as we sat down, and spent the evening topping them up as soon as they were getting empty. The wine was really lovely, much much better than some I have had in more flashy restaurants.
We all decided against a starter, although they sounded lovely but we wanted to save space for a pud. For main course, I had monkfish wrapped in Serrano ham and it was absolutely beautiful, cooked to perfection with a lovely combination of subtle flavoured fennel, butter beans and a thyme cream sauce. There were a mass of vegetables provided separately and the waitress said to let her know if we needed more, none of this '2 carrots and a broccoli floret' per person.
Dessert for me was panna cotta with rhubarb compote and vanilla ice cream on a bed of gingerbread crumbs. It was divine.
Everyone said what an amazing meal they had, how fantastic the setting and service were, and how surprised they were at how good it was. I would definately go here again. It's not cheap - the monkfish was £16.95 and a steak is £19.95 but you are guaranteed an excellent experience and the view of the Minster is unrivalled.

Reviewed 13 March 2015

We used Bennetts about three times on our recent trip. Only had drinks and cake or tea cake but it was excellent. Staff very polite. Great position overlooking the Minster. Good menu if you wanted more.