4,620 results
All reviews cedar court molton brown toiletries turn down service star hotel rise restaurant lip balm door staff classic room executive room underfloor heating on arrival original features amazing hotel steam room double shower beautiful building continental breakfast
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Myself and my friend attended the Mad Hatter's Afternoon tea party on 1st April and no joke we were really disappointed! This was a birthday treat for my friend who loves all things Alice in wonderland!

Upon arrival we were told to make our way to the bar as we were a little early for the event (it was advertised as 2.45pm and we were there at 2.30pm). The bar was really busy, and there was no where to sit.

At a few minutes before the event was due to start we made our way with our drinks only to find that it had already started, the room was half full and people were already eating.

We were showed to our table and asked if we'd like tea or coffee and that we were to go and help ourselves to the food. The food was set up as a buffet style table in the middle of the room there were only two types of sandwiches, some sort of pork pie and the rest were sweet treats, cakes and buns. The food was placed between inflatables, tea pots and playing cards. No staff were dressed up or any other decoration in the room other than you table name ie Queen of Hearts. Not once did we have a member of staff check to see if everything was OK nor did they ask if we'd like more tea and coffee. We paid £39 each and expected so much more for our money especially when we could have gone to Betty's Tea Room's and they'd have at least had the traditional costume in keeping with the theme.

I have expressed my disappointment by email to Lauren and Jessica as the original lady I dealt with has left the company and they did advise that they would pass my comments on to the General Manager.
I do however believe that after a really enjoyable past experience at the Grand Hotel, this experience has really put myself and my friend off from returning to the hotel which is a real shame.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rachel
Katarina V, Rooms Division Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Thank you firstly for choosing to attend our ever popular Mad Hatter's Afternoon Tea party. I am only sorry you were disappointed in the experience and that this would perhaps stop you from returning.

I am pleased that you were able to speak to Jessica and Lauren to voice your concerns, this is certainly important for us to make improvements where required and I hope you will be in touch if you do decide to return so we can ensure to take special care of your time with us.

My sincere apologies again!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

We visited York over the Easter weekend and stayed at the Grand. It is a very impressive hotel and we could not fault the front of house, restaurant, bar and private lounge staff they were all very welcoming and made us feel very comfortable.
Our suite was gorgeous and spotless with so many lovely extras but unfortunately house keeping was not up to 5-star standard. After returning from a long day of shopping we found our room had not be cleaned. Although this was annoying we weren’t too concerned until an hour later when we were getting ready to go out for dinner when the door opened, and housekeeping literally burst in, I was only half dressed and had to very quickly find a top to put on. On our second day again, housekeeping had not been in to clean our room. When we complained we were told they were very busy and that room cleaning does not finish until 7:00pm in the evening! (we have never stayed in a hotel in this country or abroad where rooms have not been cleaned by lunch time) On our third day again, no housekeeping but we were told by the head of housekeeping, that they would clean the room at 6:00pm when we were out for dinner. Unfortunately, when we returned after dinner the room still had not been cleaned and by this time it was late evening. We were told that it had not been cleaned because the head of housekeeping was busy looking after children! It just seemed like another an excuse to us.
You expect and pay for the best from hotels with 5 stars, but The Grand fell short for us. We visit York regularly and have stayed in several excellent 4-star hotels which, in our opinion, have outclassed The Grand. Such a shame.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dianegI2910WV

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Grand - we are so disappointed to have left you with such a poor impression of our housekeeping services, rest assured we expect far better than the experience described and will do everything we can to put this right.

I do hope you will allow us a second opportunity to impress on a future visit to York - please feel free to contact me directly so we can ensure you are well taken care of throughout the entirety of your stay.

My apologies once again, and I do hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2018

My partner and I have stayed here on 3 or 4 previous occasions and although you pay for it, the experience has always been high end. Luxurious, nothing's too much trouble, and the whole process has been seamless. But having stayed there at Easter weekend we were so disappointed with some of the changes that have been put in place. We were given a room number which was then changed, and my friend's room still wasn't ready at 5pm, despite check in time being 3pm. The old restaurant has been taken over as an executive annex (which costs 10k a year to access!) and although the new Hudsons restaurant is nice, they only have tasting menu - the food's great but tasting menus aren't for everyone, so there was no atmosphere as we were the only people dining in there for most of the evening! The new extension that houses The Rise restaurant only offers tapas style service, not an a la carte offering as such. And it's now also where you have to get breakfast. So instead of the previous table waiter service it's predominantly buffet style breakfast. What a disappointment! It was poorly organised and chaotic, and just not what you expect from a high quality hotel. I know this hotel is part of the Cedar Court chain, but I'm paying to stay at the Grand Hotel, not a Cedar Court. They seem to have replaced some of the quality elements with Cedar Court processes, and it's just spoiled the whole thing. Really saddened by the changes, as it's put us off going back to somewhere that was previously a favourite

Room Tip: You can no longer use the pool and spa if you book a classic room
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Guffaw

We are so delighted to hear you have enjoyed so many experiences at The Grand Hotel & Spa, but I was so sorry to read your most recent experience left you feeling so disappointed with the service.

Whilst a lot of changes have taken place in the last year, we promise never to reduce or change our policy on guest service - this is the most important part to us and I am sorry we did not achieve the luxury you have previously enjoyed. We are always doing everything we can to improve the experience and will certainly take your feedback on board to make improvements.

I do hope you will give us another chance to impress - I would be delighted to hear from you directly so we can discuss your expectations and ensure your experience lives up to that by offering the best package for you. We really will do everything we can to put this right so I hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

As soon as you enter The Grand Hotel and Spa you have first class personable service from the front door man, concierge and reception staff. The hotel is certainly grand and we booked a room which included breakfast and Spa access which is definitely worth paying that little bit extra for as it was massive. The bed was so so comfy. We wish we stayed another night. It's so close to the train station and the city centre. Breakfast in the morning was a real delight and very tasty. The breakfast staff are very attentive and ask before they take away any thing from your table. The hotel even kept our cases whilst we did some sightseeing on the second day. An absolutely perfect hotel and we will definitely book up again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel B

Thank you so much for your five star review - we are so delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and can't wait to welcome you back in future.

Please do not hesitate to contact us directly if you have any special requests or if there is any way for us to make you more comfortable.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Was not worth £39. Was told to go up at 2:45 as they was letting us all in at 3. Went up at 2:43 and the room was full of people already and digging into the food. So the big reveal was ruined. With it being such a grand hotel and the prices they charge. You expect more input to it. Quite often the music would stop and it’s the little things that’s mean a lot also. When me and my friend got there. There was only 2 types of sandwiches. 1 of which I don’t like as I don’t eat fish. Apart from a few clock inflatables and playing cards. It didn’t really resemble the theme and the price they charge you do expect to be wowed more. The chefs them selves could of done a lot more to make the food to resemble the theme. A lot of room to be creative, but it was all basic. Very disappointed, such a beautiful hotel and amazing staff but not a grand tea party at all. I would advice to spend your afternoon tea money somewhere else.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends

I am so sorry to read you did not enjoy the Mad Hatter's Tea Party - this is so often a huge success and we are so disappointed you left feeling unhappy at the value for money and the offering itself.

We will certainly take your feedback on board and ensure to make improvements where possible as we really do want every guest in the hotel to leave feeling excited to return - we have clearly failed on this occasion.

I hope you have had the opportunity to voice your concerns directly with one of our dedicated team however please do contact me directly if you wish to discuss the experience so we can look at putting this right.