“Not Disappointed”

Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in York
Arundel, United Kingdom
“Not Disappointed”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

After spending an afternoon in York during August last year, we decided to have a mini break at a later date. This we did, last week, and stayed 2 nights at the Cedar Court Grand.

On top of the room tariff for the 2 night stay I was aware of the additional £5 supplement for a hot breakfast, over and above the Continental also the £20 fee per night for Valet car parking.
The car parking seemed excessive but after a 300 mile drive into the centre of York it was a boon to have someone unload the car, take the luggage to the room and take the car from the front door of the hotel to be parked. Similarly on departure we asked for the car, it arrived out front within 5 minutes and was loaded for us. So in my view well worth it and no hassle. Concierge staff were friendly, attentive and efficient.

We had room 203 on the 2nd floor, which was spacious with every amenity we could wish for. Comfortable bed, plenty of space, and a well equipped bathroom etc.

Tea & Coffee making facility but no milk supplied. You called housekeeping and they delivered fresh milk within minutes of the call being made even at 7.30am.

2 minor points of criticism: (1) The room overlooked the Garden Terrace which was right next door to the hotel loading bay. This was not an issue as such as we were out and about all day doing the ‘tourist thing’. However at 7.30am on the Friday morning we were woken by a crash of glass, which was the recycle bin being emptied into a truck.

(2) Room lights are activated by placing your key card in a device on the wall, which is quite usual in hotels today. During the night at bed time, on switching off the lights you needed the key card to be in place just in case you needed to get up during the night and required to switch on the bathroom lights.

However at floor level, in the wall opposite the wardrobe, there was an halogen night light, which was very bright and was in line of sight when in bed. It could not be switched off so we had to mask it with a cushion so we could get to sleep.

Reception staff were again, efficient, friendly and attentive, especially a young lady, Debrah, who checked us in and out and was available during the day as well. Nothing was too much bother for her and is an asset to the hotel.

Grill room for breakfast and evening dining was very good, excellent service and we dined in on one evening and the food was superb.

Relaxing in the bar after a meal and taking advantage of their array of Malt whiskies from the Whisky Lounge was a bonus for me. The young bar man was quite knowledgeable on what they had to offer.

My wife spent some time using the Spa pool and Jacuzzi and yet again friendly attentive staff, especially Holly.

All in all a most enjoyable hassle free stay at the hotel which is well placed and within easy walking distance to all the major attractions.

If back in York would stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, it certainly sounds like you visited most areas.

With regards to the night light in the bedroom – this does indeed switch off. Had you informed a member of our team at the time, this could have been shown to you.

The electronic key cards have to remain in the slot in order to work the air conditioning etc lighting. This ultimately is to be more energy efficient and green to the environment whilst not causing guests any inconvenience. This is a common system in many hotels worldwide, so I can only apologise if it proved an annoyance to you.

Naturally being a city centre hotel, our bedrooms boast a wide range of views. Should any guest have a particular preference to which bedroom they are allocated, our In House Reservations team will always endeavour to meet any individual preferences. This aside, the council should not be emptying any of our bins at this hour. I will take this up with them immediately so thank you for brining this to our attention.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Our 4 night stay at The Cedar Grand, York was most enjoyable and we greatly appreciated the most excellent service, friendliness, and assistance that was extended to us by all the members of the staff that we encountered.

Our luxurious room was cavernous with very high ceilings, king-sized bed, and settee and two armchairs. The bathroom and separate toilets were both spacious and extremely well fitted although not being very up todate on modernistic mixer taps and shower controls did cause some bewilderment at first.

Excellent breakfasts both continental and/or cooked were served in the Grill Room which affords great views of the ancient city wall. We also dined in the Grill Room, a gourmet experience of the highest order for which we have submitted a separate review on Tripadvisor.

The hotel's position is ideal for the station literally a couple of minutes stroll away, likewise the superb National Railway Museum, and only 5 - 10 minutes walk from the City's other main attractions, all-in-all a very convenient position.

My only negative was that being a Hay Fever sufferer, the magnificent displays of redolent Lilly's liberally adorning the ground floor Reception and other public areas, exacerbated my allergy related problem every time I entered and left the hotel. In the interests of their clients health and comfort, the Management will find that most good florists offer a lilly de-pollinating service that deals with this problem that causes so much discomfort.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beveage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom, breakfast and dinner served in our award winning 2 Rosette Grill Room at the Grand Restaurant. I will pass on all of your comments to our Team who I am sure will appreciate the positive and grateful feedback as much as I do.

I’m sorry that the fresh floral arrangements within some of the public areas exacerbated your allergy to pollen and thank you for your suggestion on how to get around this. It’s only by receiving such feedback that we can improve upon our service standards. I will be sure to communicate this on to so we can provide a more suitable alternative going forward.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

EDINBURGH
Reviewed 22 April 2012

As part of our trip away after our wedding we booked a 'luxury' day spa package - for £150 each we were to receive a full body exfoliation and hot stone massage then 30 minute facial.
On the plus side the spa (in the basement of the hotel) felt like a retreat and staff were polite and courteous.
Unfortunately, we recently enjoyed a spa day in Edinburgh which cost far less and was far more enjoyable to us.
The problems were - the hot stone massage was clumsy. The experience was ruined by the clunking noise of stones being lifted out of water by metal ikea spoons (surely a simple solution would be to use plastic?) and then the therapist's inability to keep the stones from knocking off each other when she used two at a time on my back. The body exfoliation did not leave my skin feeling smooth, as I have experienced at other spas. En route to lunch we awkwardly (in our robes) had to pass two men in suits from the hotel sat in the nail area having some kind of small meeting, this seemed like an inappropriate venue.
Lunch was not included which we were disappointed about and even more disheartened when we were forced to shell out £30 for one standard sandwich, one bowl of tasteless butternut squash soup and a basket of bread.
Having recently experienced far higher quality therapists at a hotel spa in Scotland's capital I feel that we were over charged for this experience at Cedar Court and I think there will be better value for money spa days available in York.

• Stayed February 2012
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear Ms Doyle

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent Spa day experience with us. Naturally I am disappointed with your remarks and I will endeavour to address each one as best I can.

The price of the Spa package we feel is correct and competitive in line with neighbouring Yorkshire luxury Hotels.

Housed in the buildings atmospheric vaults (not basement), we offer a range of therapeutic face and body treatments and guests also have access to the gym, swimming pool and sauna., steam room and relaxation rooms. It’s an ideal location for any spa to be in as it’s very tranquil (rather than a retreat).

With regards to the stoned treatment that you experienced, the Spa has recently embarked on using a new range of ESPA products & treatments. This is a better service all round and the paying guest receives a higher quality & better value treatment.
You may be surprised to know that Ikea is actually not one of our nominated suppliers of Spa equipment, however I can appreciate the metal spoon may bare some resemblance. I have since spoken to our Spa Manager who has decided that some heat proof plastic spoons would be better to help reduce any small back ground noise. Thank you for making this point. It’s only by receiving such feedback that we can improve upon our service standards and because of you, we just have.

The public areas of the Spa are just that “public” and not private or exclusive. Therefore other hotel paying guests are welcome to make use of these areas.

Again, the price of lunch we feel is correct and competitive in line with other neighbouring Yorkshire luxury Hotels.

As I do with all negative feedback that I read on this forum, I will say that had you spoken to a member of our Management Team Direct during or following this experience, I am quite confident that a mutually amicable solution could have been reached.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We were very much looking forward to our stay at Cedar Court Hotel but after 10 mins it all changed. Upon arrival we pulled up to the hotel (which offered valet parking) and waited for someone to come and greet us and help with our luggage. After a short while another car (much more expensive than mine) arrived and the porter walked around us to greet them and carry their luggage in. We decided to lug our bags up the stairs and see if someone could park our car, as there's no carpark on site. After 30 mins my car was still left on double yellow lines and thankfully I wasn't given a ticket. Check-in wanted to take a £200 deposit which we were told would be refunded about a week after we leave. We requested for our luggage to be taken up to our room but the porter said that if we were going up to our room, could we take it as it was easier. After pointing out it was a 5* hotel they reluctantly agreed. We then decided to go the lounge for a coffee (which was full of hen do's) and waited about 30 mins for our order to be taken. On returning to our room after the long awaited coffee, our bags still hadn't arrived and this was the last straw. My wife phoned Reception, talked them through our experience so far and was met with "it's a busy time for the hotel but we would like to offer you a free glass of champagne". We said it was a bit early for that and she then said "well you will need to have it within the next hour as that's when my shift ends". The only redeeming feature was the spa and a very nice concierge called Wayne. If we were paying Holiday Inn prices, then none of the above would matter but when a hotel charges 5* rates, you expect 5* service. Needless to say we won't be rushing back.

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank Tutanekai01
Dear Mrs Scard

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Naturally I am disappointed with the content of your review. Whilst not wanting to at all to dispute your comments, I find some of your statements extremely hard to fathom. After speaking with members of our professional and dedicated team that you spoke to direct and also being present myself on the day and aware of your situation, I know for a fact that some of the above is simply not correct.

As always, we welcome all DIRECT guest feedback to help us improve our service standards, so it is disappointing that you have chosen in frustration to write about your dissatisfaction on this internet forum rather than speaking to a member of our Management Team in person.
I will however be sure to pass on your comments to our Senior Management Team for their perusal.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us your feedback. As always, comments good or bad are taken on board.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

What a beautiful hotel! Our room and bathroom was gorgeous and the bed was a dream to sleep in.

We had breakfast brought to our room in the morning as a treat to ourselves and it was lovely, it came well presented on a table with a crisp white cloth and flowers and it was just a lovely touch.

It's located just inside the city walls so not central to York but still in a good location as its not far to walk to the centre.

Quite pricey rooms but worth the money, we would recommend and stay again!

• Stayed December 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular your bedroom and bathroom. A great nights sleep is important in any hotel and with the finest Egyptian cotton on all of our beds, comfort is guaranteed

It’s also great to read that you took advantage of our In Room Dining facility. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.