“Gorgeous hotel”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
“Gorgeous hotel”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

What a beautiful hotel! Our room and bathroom was gorgeous and the bed was a dream to sleep in.

We had breakfast brought to our room in the morning as a treat to ourselves and it was lovely, it came well presented on a table with a crisp white cloth and flowers and it was just a lovely touch.

It's located just inside the city walls so not central to York but still in a good location as its not far to walk to the centre.

Quite pricey rooms but worth the money, we would recommend and stay again!

• Stayed December 2011
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular your bedroom and bathroom. A great nights sleep is important in any hotel and with the finest Egyptian cotton on all of our beds, comfort is guaranteed

It’s also great to read that you took advantage of our In Room Dining facility. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to the team.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

me and my husband went here to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, he told me i could book whichever hotel i wanted so i chose this one and he sorted it out. As soon as we arrived we were met with a smile, both been 25 we have been in other hotels that have looked down on us and these have been 3 star hotels so this was very refreshing. The women behind the reception was very helpful and explained all about facilities. when she asked our name she smiled to herself and said congratulations on your 1st anniversary on behalf of the hotel we would like to upgrade you. they well and truelly did to the juinor suite.
Totally amazing the room was immaculate and the man who name i cannot remember who showed us to the room explained everything so i didnt have cold water. A card was left from the hotel saying congrats and chocolate my mum had arranged to be there.
Just every detail was taken care of yes an i pod dock would've been helpful with the surround sound in bathroom but just been in such an amazing room was plenty and having such great service. our heated floor worked we thought didnt but just turned everything on and it was fine (common sense)

cannot say enough praise the feel of the hotel was so welcoming and no one been snobbish (dont think u can be with a yorkshire accent!) my husband has said whenever we go to york we are staying there no matter what room as the experience will still be great as the team here and surroundings are faultless. Just a shame some people go to get anything they can you get more respect if your nice and dont threaten them.

amy chapman

soon to be very regular customer and rest of friends and family who are fed up already me going on about it and jealous!!!

Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and in particular your bedroom and the service provided from start to finish by our dedicated team. I’ll be sure to pass on your kind words to them.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Shipley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

Last weekend we stayed at Cedar Court Grand and very much enjoyed our stay.Firstly the hotel is in the old Railway Offices for York and are very impressive and central. You are met at the entrance and then they valet park your car . We then went up to our room which was quite roomy and very nice .The only slight peculiarity was that the hotel had left a welcoming card but in the wrong name and then we switched on the TV this too had a welcome message again not in our name (apparently this was a system error)
We then decided to try the spa and swimming pool , this was top notch and built in the old vaults for the railway , a really lovely way to unwind and forget the stresses of the day. Sauna and steam room were brilliant as was the hot tub.
After a lovely night in York we returned to a comfortable nights sleep and woke the next day for our breakfast which was also very good the only slight niggle was that we had to wait for a while before being seated for breakfast it seemed the room used for this was quite small taking into account the number of guests using it.
But all in all a very nice experience and would definitely stay again.

Stayed April 2012
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and time spent in our Spa.

I will pass on all of your comments to our Senior Management Team. It’s only by receiving such feedback that we can improve upon our service standards.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We booked an executive double at this hotel because I had vouchers from work and wanted it to be a great trip for my partners birthday. I ordered her a gift package of Champagne, Strawberries and a card for when we arrived. The reservation team emailed me asking for her name to put on the card, which I confirmed to them two hours before check- in was open.
We were so pleased the hotel was close to the train station. We checked in fine and was shown up to our room. The room was big and spacious with plenty of storage, nice and clean and the bathroom was as I requested (walk in shower). We noticed there was no Ipod docking station, apparently they are only available for the suites and penthouse- little odd for a 5 star hotel but oh well, we made do with the BBC radio stations on the tv that had limted channels and the most annoying remote control ever known to man. I presented my partner the gift package and she was very pleased. The moment would have been fantastic and I would have earnt great points for being thoughtful. However, the strawberries were green and the card was made out to me! Even if the person who wrote the card did not know my partners name, why on earth would they write it out for me? I ordered it. Common sense tell you to leave the name blank if you do not know the actual birthday girls name.
The heated floor in the bathroom would not work nor would the heated towel rail. Until we put the air con on and realised the air con had to be on for the heated ammenities to work- again, odd!
We explored to the basement and found the swimming pool, sauna, hot tub and steam room. All very clean and lovely. Hot tub was cold though, which is also odd for a spa.
Our first night in the hotel was uncomfortable we discovered in the morning that the 'double' bed we ordered was acually two singles pushed together, but one was higher than the other! I came down in the morning to speak to the reception, but we were in a rush and there was a queue. We had appointments all day and couldn't speak to reception till the evening which I understand is late. The receptionist, although polite and friendly didn't really help. She had only been in the hotel for a month and said she did not know all the processes yet. I agreed to come down in the morning. I met with the day manager, who seemed not to believe me about the strawberries (until I showed him the leftovers which were still in my room two days later). He offered to upgrade us to a full suite- with i pod docking station (only after I requested it). He also offered me 2.50 off of my gift package for the strawberries- 2.50 off of a 45.00 package, I told him it was an insult, he then offered 5.00! I do understand that I should have complained straght away and then maybe things would have been better. But I still can't get over the fact that the full suite we were upgraded to, still had two single beds pushed together and the bathroom sink tap wouldn't cool down enough to be cold water.
I am just a disappointed, I was told all 5 star hotels were going that way (with the beds) if that is the case, you can keep your 5 star hotels.
It was my first trip to York, it was meant to be special instead I am just regretting my choice in hotel so much it is clouding my memories of the trip. On the last night we cameback after dinner and watched some tv we ordered four drinks: 2 Diet cokes and two Caiprinha cocktails. The cocktails are delicious the diet cokes were in bottles of 200ml. These four drinks came to £52! I am just shocked to have spent so much money and be equally disappointed.
Never again!

8 Thank Dooganigan
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

can`t fault it , slightly expensive but you get what you pay for, a lovely room fantastic attentive service in a perfect location for exploring york

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Guest

thank you for taking the time to post you feedback following you recent stay with us.

I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay throughout and that the service you received was attentive. As you have rightly commented, we are lucky enough to have an excellent location - a 10 minute walk from the city centre and only a few hundred yards to the main train station. With summer fast approaching and the race season upon us, we are also only 5 minutes by car from York Race Course.