“Hillcrest Guesthouse, Whitby”

Hillcrest Guesthouse
Ranked #86 of 152 Whitby B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Not sure where the main photo accompanying this is is of, but it isn't the Hillcrest, Whitby. Just returned from a 3 night stay - lovely host/hostess, super premises, fabulous breakfast, cosy and comfortable room, great bathroom. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: We had the one standard room which had a bath as well as a shower...can't remeber the name but i...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

The Hillcrest Guesthouse, well what can I say about this place? I booked one of the premium rooms costing £100 a night for two nights over 5 weeks before my intended stay, at which time all the rooms were un-booked.

When booking online it is possible to choose the arriving by car option and reserve a parking space. Upon arrival there were no parking spaces, eventually an unkempt member of staff who barely spoke English appeared to check my partner and I in. When asked where we could park she replied “I don’t know, maybe down the road” The road was packed as you would expect on a hot weekend at Whitby so I had to block another guest in and was told I would have to move my car when requested.

After a night’s stay in what can only be described as an adequate guesthouse (not worth the £100 price tag in terms of location and service) we went to breakfast to see the same member of staff getting orders wrong left right and centre. This was not wholly surprising as we had seen her rather worse for ware at one of the harbour pubs the previous night around 01.00am. After several clumsy knocks into my chair she managed to spill a jar of brown sauce over an adjacent couples table.

Back at the room an hour later a loud bang at the door revealed a woman (owner) who began to hurl abuse at my girlfriend concerning my car and the fact that I hadn’t left my keys with the foreign check in girl. Upon telling her we had reserved a space 5 weeks previous and did not wish to leave our keys with a stranger with no insurance and possibly no drivers licence, she continued the tirade and told us using ratehr inhospitable language to move the car down the street.

We decided to leave and I can say I have never been treated so badly and in such a disgusting manner by someone who claims to be in the hospitality business. The owner came back as we were packing to say “I think we got off on the wrong foot” but I believe it was only to prevent the writing of this review and it was too little too late. Never stay here

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe L
saj9158, Owner at Hillcrest Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2011

Trip Advisor does allow us the benefit of a response and to that we will endeavour, for the benefit of others, to provide a response to your negative review.

You did indeed book a four poster room, several weeks before your arrival. There is no where, on any of the on line booking forms/agents used, the opportunity to reserve a car parking space. As there were problems with the booking, I telephoned your partner to sort out the complications. While we were discussing your stay the situation regarding the car park was discussed fully. Parking is a nightmare in Whitby, and we are lucky that we can provide a car parking space for a car per room, although when we are full this means that five cars can drive straight in, but the last three have to leave their car keys. If guests have a serious objection then they must find alternative parking, as it unfair to other guests if they do not.

This was explained when I spoke to your partner about the booking, and yet again when you checked-in. As you refused to leave your key I spoke to you in the morning, and luckily none of the cars you had blocked needed to get out in case of an emergency, which as we have explained is very rare. I am not sure how I should have contacted you other than knocking on your door. We are not a hotel and do not have a 24 hour manned reception. Neither of you were willing to acknowledge that you were aware of the parking situation, and instead both decided to shout and throw up accusations regarding attitude. At no time did I use any foul language. As you were obviously unhappy I asked you to leave. You then followed me down the stairs shouting about a bad review on the internet, and did I want that, pointing aggresively in my face. I said you were entitled to write your review. I then came to explain to you that a space had become available, without the need to leave your keys, to try and settle the matter. It seemed obvious at that time there was nothing I could say to prevent your leaving.

Your remarks regarding our colleague are cruel and uncalled for. You have no idea of her personal situation that day or any other. What she does in her free time is none of our business, or for that matter anybody elses. She has never let us down while she has been here, and I think your abrupt manner while checking in put her ill at ease.

I would also like to add that I hope ripping open all the complimentary teas, coffees, etc, got rid of some of your aggression for your drive home.

I hope that anyone reading this response understands the reasons for asking guests to leave their car keys.

Reviewed 10 September 2011

We have just spent 2 nights at the Hillcrest, quite a good sized room overlooking the main road so a bit noisy at night, modern bathroom but not much storage space but shower was good, carpet in bedroom could do with a clean. Breakfast was excellent.
No welcome from the owners as mentioned in previous reviews!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Enjoyed our night in the Ruswarp room very much. Owners very welcoming, allowing us to check in early and leave our car in their car park whilst enjoying the day. Clean, well decorated comfortable room and fantastic shower with a good breakfast to set us up for the day well. Would love to visit again and see what the other rooms are like! Thankyou

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I stayed here with my partner for a 2 night relaxing break, we were met by the waitress and shown to our room, she was very friendly and asked if we needed anything. We liked how we were left alone and not bothered by anyone, we were given the code for the door and came and went as we pleased, which was great after a night out which proved to be a late one.
We stayed in a lovely decorated room, very modern and big in size with a kingsize bed. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was brilliant. The towels were changed and tea/coffee refilled.
Breakfast times were good, and had lovely music played through so it was a nice atmosphere, although we did find the tables a little to close to each other that it made us a little uncomfy and we had to whisper as everyone was silent. We said we wouldnt have felt comfortable taking our children there as it was quiet and relaxed, just right for couples though.
Breakfast was lovely with a good choice for everyone.
We would stay again if we were returning for a weekend away without the children.

Room Tip: Runswick Room
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple