“Not for Light Sleepers but Beautiful, Quirky, Friendly and Great Breakfast”

White Horse and Griffin
Ranked #58 of 225 Restaurants in Whitby
Price range: US$ 64 - US$ 69
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Stayed here at the weekend after booking online. This hotel is absolutely dripping in history and you can read all about this in your room as there is a booklet telling you all about Captain Cook and how it used to be a coaching house and was even a waxwork museum over the years! Was stunned to see also that celebrity chefs have cooked here!

Was shown to our room by one of the cheeriest friendliest staff I have ever met at a hotel, we stayed in the Scoresby room which is your 'basic double'. Well if this is a basic double then these other hotels need to up their game! It was just beautiful! I was surprised to see a real fireplace in the room (albeit for decoration only) and the room was tastefully decorated whilst still retaining olde worlde charm. Tea and coffee was available along with fresh locally made shortbread biscuits. We were brought milk in a flask and there was a bottle of fresh water on the side.

There is a residents bar which is open until 10 pm and is on the first floor. Again, this was olde worlde and stunning with a real fire and magazines and board games up there.

The restaurant is on the ground floor and I have to say I had probably the best breakfast I have ever had at a hotel! I went for the full English breakfast which came with real sausages, not that bangor muck, bacon, fried egg, black pudding, tomato and beans. Along with fresh toast and a slab of butter, tea and coffee. You can help yourself to cereals and fruit etc on the side as well as fruit juice.

The service here is outstanding, even the cleaning lady smiled and said hello, can't fault them at all and if you have a dog they will allow you to bring it for a charge of £10.

OK so here are the negatives, which is a real shame but I am just being honest! First and foremost the noise - if you are a light sleeper like me then please take ear plugs - you can hear all and sundry getting up in the night to use the bathroom! Creaking floors and toilet cisterns all over the show! Also the window was a sash window so when the seagulls start you will hear them! Also the bathroom was quite thin and pokey and the water from the taps wasn't clear - I think it was seawater? Hence the bottle of water in the room I think.

However, this would not stop me staying again - I really would just take ear plugs! This was a wonderful experience for my first stay over in Whitby, highly recommended!

1  Thank RottweillerReviewer

Reviewed 1 April 2018

food was excellent , service was great and the restaurant was very romantic , will be going again , would recommend .

Reviewed 25 March 2018

My wife and I went for an early evening meal and we were both very pleased our choices. The Fillet steak was one of the best I’ve had

2  Thank Martman888
Reviewed 17 March 2018

Had a pint and a gin here sitting by the open (gas but realistic) fire on the first floor. This is a quirky little place in the main town of Whitby. It's very easy to walk past so keep your eyes open. Staff were friendly. Good pint, and lovely rhubarb and ginger gin. Good range of gin options! Accommodation available too. The first floor lounge has basic furniture but is very welcoming and comfortable. Board games provided to help pass the time too!

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

Great meal, great service & as always a great dinner experience. Ok it’s a bit more expensive than your normal Whitby experience but this place is worth it. A good solid 9 out of 10. Will defo be back.