“The disabled gourmet strikesagain.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Raithwaite Estate

Raithwaite Estate
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Whitby
Sheffield
“The disabled gourmet strikesagain.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

For our thirtieth wedding anniversary we were looking for something really special -did we find it ? - well it was very nice. We heard about this hotel last year when it was offered as a viewer's prize on "Who wants to be a millionaire?". I looked it up on TA only to find that it was not yet open. On booking, in January, the receptionist was very helpful and booked us into room 106, a standard room, with facilities for the mobility impaired.
I walk with crutches and can manage steps if I have to. I was a little concerned, on arrival, to find the car park away from the hotel and involving a long steep walk. There is a parking area in front of the hotel but every bay is marked for guest registration only, except one reserved for the hotel's Rolls-Royce runabout.
As I parked next to the roller David, the concierge, came out to greet us and help with our luggage. David said that I could leave my car there for the duration. There are about 5 stone steps up to reception which I found difficult due to the taper - I could have walked round the long way, but did not.
The girls on reception were magnificent and David took us to our room whereupon he patiently showed how everything worked.
There was a bottle of champagne waiting and a lovely letter from the manager wishing us a happy anniversary.
The room was very pleasant and the bathroom was the best I have seen since my accident. There was a huge walk-in shower with a fold down seat and plenty of hand rails. The shower was easy to use and drained with out even wetting the bathroom floor.
We dined in the main restaurant and were very well looked after. The second night we shared Chateaubriand and on our last night we shared a whole Turbot, these were served with a touch of theatre being served on a carving trolley at our table.
At breakfast were shown to a table close to the most amazing buffet. The muesli was the best ever. There was a chef working at an omelette station making your choice to order.
Although Raithwaite Hall is a little on the expensive side I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 248JON
rjman499, General Manager at Raithwaite Estate, responded to this review, 5 May 2012
248 Jon,
Thank you for the kind note and so pleased
to read you had an excellent stay at our unique resort.

We appreciate you thoughtful words regarding the team
here at Raithwaite and they were delighted to
hear you enjoyed the bit of theatre in the Restaurant.

We look forward to seeing you back soon
Warm Regards

Richard Mansell
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
Sheffield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed at Raithwaite Hall Friday 30th March for 2 nights for my father in law's 60th birthday along with the rest of our family. The rooms were brilliant, extremely clean & well decorated. The spa area was very nice also. I had a pregnancy massage on the Saturday which was very good.
The staff were all really friendly & helpful.
The only negative about our stay was the food. On both mornings my father in law wanted smoked kippers, but they didn't have any! On the Saturday evening we went to the hotel restaurant & the food wasn't great at all. The children's starters were suppose to be garlic bread with cheese & they were little pieces of French stick toasted with garlic butter, no cheese & of a pretty poor standard to be honest. Myself, my husband & mother in law order the chicken for our main course & when it came out it was cold as were the mash potato. We sent them back only to be returned cold again!! At which point the other guest in our party were eating their meals & we were sat their without any food...... They did take the 3 chicken main meals off the bill in fairness, but the money wasn't really the point, as by this stage it had ruined what was suppose to be a family meal for my father in laws birthday & we were left hungry. We still had a fabulous weekend & I would return to Raithwaite Hall but the chef really let the hotel down on the Saturday night & spoiled our family meal on a very special occasion!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
karenstinchon@talktalk.net
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Lovely hotel. Friendly staff! Excellent modern hotel and rooms.Large comfy bed with cosy duvet. Fantastic spa! Remember to take your cossy!! Breakfast second to none! Beautiful gardens!

Room Tip: Very quiet! Cheapest rooms are fine!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed at Raithwaite Hall for 3 days Easter week 2012. This is a newish hotel establishing its reputation. The accommodation was sumptuous and the bed was out of this world! The staff do their very best for guests at all times. The pool is lovely and there are varied spa treatments on offer. The breakfast is very good. Give this hotel chance to 'grow' and don't take too much note of niggly little gripes. I can't wait to return to this hotel. I reckon it won't be too long in the future that this hotel will be so successful that I won't be able to afford to stay. I totally recommend this hotel as a fabulous retreat.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Really fantastic hotel, Great service & fabulous food.

Need I say more?!