“Crinkle cut chips!”

Ranked #17 of 225 Restaurants in Whitby
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Visited here as Magpies is so over-hyped! (I ate there last year!) This place was friendly, attentive and they seated us quickly and with a smile. We ordered the small haddock chippy meals with lightly battered fish. These came with crinkle cut chips (quirky and fab!), the lightly battered fish were perfectly cooked, pots of mushy peas, a side of 2 slices of fresh bread with butter and all washed down with a pot of Yorkshire tea. We ate the lot. It was hot and fresh and we loved it! The 'small' portion was substantial and very filling - a couple of pensioners next to us had the large plates and they looked huge! Aside from a couple of screaming kids that thankfully left after 10 minutes and which isn't the restaurant's fault, this was the perfect chippy lunch. I would recommend it and will certainly visit again.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Fantastic fish and chip restaurant. The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodated our party of 10 really well.All food came out hot and together.I love the fact that all the food is local and you are even told the boat that caught your fish. As a person with a hearty appetite small of and chips filled me perfectly. The large looked too big for me. Delicious mushy peas and locally made bread alongside a good pot of Yorkshire tea were perfect accompaniments. Thank you. Best fish and chip restaurant I have eaten in.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We visited this restaurant today as it was recommended to us but we were so disappointed with the service. I ordered cod pieces for my 2 sons and they gave them chicken in batter.. I spoke to the waitress and no apology, just oh yes it's been put through as chicken.. if you order a childs meal please check what they give you. Not the service you expect from an award winning reataurant.

2  Thank Amandatrapps
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

All the rave reviews for fabulous fish and chips, sadly this did not live up to the hype average at best

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

It's probably difficult trying to be good / great at a particular food when you're surrounded by restaurants cooking the same dishes. BUT Royal Fisheries is worth hunting down. It's off the main drag where all the other restaurants are, but don't be swayed by them. Stick to your plan and go to this place.
It's a walk in service. Lovely and clean and served by friendly waiting staff.
The food is beautiful, with lovely fluffy chips and the fish in a light crisp batter. Served with locally made bread washed down with a cup of Yorkshire Tea.
Simple food but done exceptionally well.