“Not as good as the real thing.”
Review of Bar Tapas

Bar Tapas
Ranked #486 of 865 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: South American, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2017

We had a lunchtime deal of 2 small tapas plus cola to drink for £5.95 each which was good value. We were given complimentary French stick slices before we ate the tapas. Food was average. Don't have this meal deal if you are hungry! There are main dishes on offer too. The restaurant was empty of customers but there seemed to be lots of family and visitors popping in for a free lunch!

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

The lady who served us was very friendly and great with the kids. Portion sizes were good and cost was very reasonable. However one of the worst tapas I've had. I don't think anything was fresh think it was all pre packed frozen food. Tables were very sticky and would not go back.

Reviewed 29 March 2017

We ordered tapas for 3 people, a variety of dishes all of which (apart from the usual deep fried calamari) were disappointing. None of the dishes tasted fresh, the chorizo was burnt, potatoes overdone, This was a real disappointment

1  Thank jfb494
Reviewed 24 March 2017

Visited on a Friday lunchtime with my student son. We were the only diners when we arrived, 3 more tables occupied by the time we left.

I liked the decor, somewhat eclectic, but pleasant. Only 1 female member of staff on duty - she was pleasant to us, no complaints there.

We had visited for tapas, and the menu does have a large selection. Unfortunately these were all hot dishes. Where was the serrano ham and manchego that I craved......... sadly not here.

We settled on 3 hot dishes each.

My son chose : - Albondigas - 2 very large meatballs in a pleasant sauce. Probably the best dish he had. Prawns fried in batter - batter was too thick and heavy, overpowering the prawns. Calamari - not pleasant at all - strange texture - I note someone else thought they were re-constituted, that could perhaps explain this. Thick batter which was unpleasant to taste, I thought maybe it had been fried in old oil? Again totally overpowered the squid.

My choice - Tortilla con gambas - I was assuming this would be a thick slice of omellette with prawns, more like the usual spanish tortilla. In fact it was a normal flat omellette as you would make at home, without being folded, with prawns in it. Nicest dish I had. My next dish sounded intriguing, tuna balls in white wine sauce. This turned out to be 2 large potato balls covered in breadcrumbs and fried. Was there any tuna? Don't know couldn't taste any. Not unpleasant, but not great. Lastly I chose artichokes with ham. Turned out to be tinned/pickled artichoke hearts - I had naively thought they would be fresh. Served with strips of a very sweet boiled (not cured, as I had again naively assumed) supermarket type ham, all served in a dish with a buttery type sauce. Combined with the harshness of the sourness/pickle from the artichokes this was unpleasant.

Price was reasonable at £37 including 3 drinks, but if the food is not really enjoyable, what is the point?

Would not choose to return. .

Reviewed 13 March 2017

we were greeted and shown to our table. after that,,,,,,NOTHING.. no drinks or service. will never use this place again