All reviewsbiscuitsblack catentire houseowner cliveprivate parkingkings headdouble roomenjoyed our staythe publovely houserooms are largefew minutes walkb and bcomfortable bedyogurtkhmercathedral
Reviewed 29 May 2017

Superbly decorated dual aspect room with great facilities and a very comfortable bed. Clive was an absolute joy to chat to and was very helpful in providing us with information for getting around the beautiful city of Norwich. His cat, Khmer is a little poppet, too!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
gothichouse, Owner at Gothic House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

Thank you so much for having taken the time to write your review. I'm glowing with pleasure at being described as an absolute joy to talk to. It was in fact a joy (that word again) to have you both here and I was only sorry that it was such a brief stay. I look forward to welcoming you some time in the (near) future.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

This is a very conveniently located hideaway for exploring the city on foot with secure parking and a proper real ale pub outside the door and many restaurants within 2 minutes. The house is exquisitely furnished and decorated reflecting our host ,Clive Harvey's , many interests in china ,fabrics, furniture,art, and cruise liners! An eclectic mix but how it works! The rooms are big beautifully furnished, with fine linen, and comfy beds. A selection of teas, real coffees,fruit and biscuits, books and sherry is there to revive and soothe.
Breakfast is superbly presented, with dishes rivalling any 5 star hotel.
We loved it, all of it, and will return. Clive Harvey is a most solicitous host, careful of his guests every comfort. I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
gothichouse, Owner at Gothic House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

Thank you so much for that wonderful review. It was very kind of you. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the 'quirky' nature of the place.

Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

Back in February when I first started planning my trip to England, I ran across a blogger's description and photos of Gothic House and knew right away I wanted to stay there. I mailed Clive, the owner, and he courteously replied. I had been looking forward to my stay there, and when I finally got there, I was not disappointed. The whole place is gorgeous. Perhaps elegant is a good word. All decorated in exquisite taste. Even the bathrooms were lovely. Every nook and cranny, just picture perfect. To top it all off, the breakfast next morning was excellent. Clive and his cohort Clive (yes, there are two Clives, good pals apparently, and one nicer than the other) made excellent fare and fun conversation and my co-guest (only two rooms, so only one other guest or couple will be at breakfast) was a pleasant fellow with whom I enjoyed excellent conversation as we ate.
It's hard to believe how reasonable the rates are when you consider what a lovely place this is and how carefully breakfast is prepared. Pass up the chance of staying here and it's your loss. One British newspaper rated this one of the 10 best B&Bs in the UK. (Check it out on line. I believe it was the Guardian.)

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
gothichouse, Owner at Gothic House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

Phil, Thank you so much for having taken the time to write such a generous review of Gothic House. I am pleased that everything lived up to your expectations and I do hope that the other places that you visited (during your all-too-brief) visit to the UK also did. I know that you were trying to pack so much into that trip. Thanks also for the speedy return of the keys........!
Clive ......... but which one....... ;-)

Reviewed 5 October 2016

Very welcoming owner very attentive ,lovely big room and bathroom. Had 2 restful nights sleep in a comfortable bed. Breakfast was plentiful and tasty. There was some nice extras in the room(glass of sherry) which all in all made a stay in Norwich very comfortable. Would stay here again !!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
gothichouse, Owner at Gothic House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2016

Graham, thank you for having taken the time to write a review of your recent stay at Gothic House. I am pleased that you enjoyed everything and I look forward to welcoming you again at some time in the future.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

First thing I have to say is that we really enjoyed our stay; Clive is a lovely host who really cares about his guests. We had great conversations and he helped us patiently with all our questions.

The rooms and the whole B&B have wonderful decorations; a lot of effort was put into all the details and we appreciated that a lot. Our room and bathroom both were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was freshly made; it was the first time we were offered freshly pressed orange juice and locally sourced apple juice.

The location was fantastic; within 10 mins we could reach the city center; no need to take a bus or car and it is very easy to find your way around.

It is true that there is a pub, but we hardly noticed any noise from there (although we were staying in a room facing the pub and prefer to sleep with windows open!).

As we both like animals we were delighted to meet the cat of the house; Khmer, who is a very friendly little cat.

Just one piece of advice; if you are driving by car and you are not used to driving on the left side then you should pay extra attention when accessing the property; we ended up on a bus lane on our way there as we did not follow the instructions carefully. If you go there by car I definitely recommend you to check out the place by Google Street view first, otherwise it can be a bit confusing in the beginning.

All in all it was a lovely stay and we really hope to get back there soon.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
gothichouse, Owner at Gothic House, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2016

Thank you for your very generous review, I am, of course, pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I shall look forward to welcoming you here again on another occasion.