“Should have done this sooner”

Britons Arms Coffee House and Restaurant
Ranked #176 of 905 Restaurants in Norwich
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

I regularly visit Norwich at the end of the week and always got to lunch here. Today it was a Russian Fish pie. Delicious as ever the home cooked integrity which always has something new to try never fails. The team/ family that look after us go out of their way to make the experience as personal and enjoyable as possible. This place is rare and special as well as refreshing and optimistic, when an independent and local business is spot on! See you very soon

Date of visit: October 2018
gillian m, Manager at Britons Arms Coffee House and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2018

Thankyou for your positive and charming response ! We are always delighted to see you and look forward to the next time !!

Reviewed 21 October 2018 via mobile

Lovely cafe in one of the oldest parts of Norwich. Was almost empty - one couple just leaving but their parting words were to recommend the sausage rolls! Needless to say that’s what my partner ordered and enjoyed! I was not so fortunate - one choice of GF cake and way, way too expensive to try.
Both our coffees, an Americano and cappuccino were strong and hit the spot!
As we left, another couple arrived already it appeared looking forward to their sausage rolls!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 16 September 2018 via mobile

A lovely venue for lunch, table in the sun, on the terraced steps. Gaugare and chicken pie were lovely meals with fresh salad. Service was extremely friendly and helpful.

Reviewed 14 September 2018

Nice touch adding a lit candle to hubby's birthday tea slice of cake. Have ony been here this one time so can't comment further.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

I would start by saying that I have eaten here on a number of occasions and never been disappointed. I hope this experience was a one off. However this particular meal was so bad that 6 hours later I still feel sick. I truly wish I had not eaten so much of this meal but lunch was late and I was very very hungry.
I visited with a work colleague and we both chose chicken, leek and tarragon pie. It was described as this on the chalk board. The texture of the pie contents was peculiar- it looked like rice. I took a mouthful and it tasted like rice. Felt confused as no mention of rice on the pie description. Thought it was my imagination and ploughed on. Lo and behold I found some green streaks in the rice. It could of been leek or it could have been tarragon but quite frankly the small dots of green were too small to taste.
The waitress arrived eventually (we were upstairs)and seeing my look asked if everything was ok. We asked what the contents of the pie were and she said rice. Seems strange there had been no mention of this on the specials board before the chicken, leeks and tarragon - particularly as it was about 97 % of the pie. and we pointed this out. To be fair she asked if we would like it changed but by then it really was a case of time running out. We both found one small nugget of chicken in a large piece of rice pie.
Result 10% taken off the bill.
Quite frankly appalling treatment. This was not served as advertised. We were too polite at point of sale to make an enormous song and dance but any member of staff would have either have insisted in removing the queried dish understanding that it was not as advertised.
I would be very hesitant about about eating here again. Maybe a new chef? He needs to be sacked quite frankly. The profit margin on rice pie though must be phenomenal especially when you only take 10% off at point of sale.
Hoping I feel better in the morning!

3  Thank shirleycY2715FN
gillian m, Manager at Britons Arms Coffee House and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2018

Our Chicken leek and tarragon pie is a french recipe which we have successfully served over many years. To suggest that the rice contributed to 97% of the ingredients is verging on libelous. The rice is used to bind the chicken forcemeat which surrounds the chicken breasts....so the the rice ..about 20%of total ingredients. I am sorry that rice makes you nauseous.
This criticism is grossly unfair and is not a true representation of our food or our staff.