“Tired, depressing decor badly in need of a refresh”

Mercure Norwich Hotel
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Norwich
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I booked this hotel based on my experience of the chain. Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed. Frankly, the whole place is just shabby and down-at-heel.

My worries began when I found that the hotel is handily placed for the industrial estate - in fact, is situated on the edge of it. Well, the place can't help being where it is. But the location certainly doesn’t help.

The building itself is circa 1970's in appearance, and it looks like nothing has been done to the internal decor since then. For example, the restaurant's fake wooden beams and mud green chairs would look more in place in “Abigail’s Party” than a 21st century, four star hotel, and give the whole place a thoroughly depressing air.

The rooms are clean, but again, seriously in need of a refresh which goes beyond the simply decorative. As with another reviewer, the bath enamel in my bath was so scratched that the whole bath looked grubby, even though in reality, it was spotlessly clean. The bathroom fittings also were so scratched they looked like they were covered in lime-scale, even though again, they were clean. The soap dish on the wall, cracked all the way across and artfully but obviously repaired didn’t do anything to improve the ambiance.

The one thing which makes the place stand out however is the enthusiasm of the staff. They really are trying, even though frankly, some of the younger members of the team still need customer service training. They don’t lack enthusiasm or indeed personal charm, but they do lack polish.

This is a clean, tidy place to sleep. What this is not is “four star”. The tired, dated décor and down-at-heel appearance left me with the feeling that the place is both depressing and really is very over-priced for the standards it actually delivers. As I say, I was deeply disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Alexander D
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I would firstly like to thank you for your kind comments about my staff, I am very proud of my team, and I know that each of them would go the extra mile to meet our guests requirments.

I can confirm that our hotel is in fact undergoing a staged modernisation and almost half of the rooms have been completed, with the rest being refurbished over the next 18 months.

I do hope that you will return in the future.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Mercure Norwich Hotel

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the past when it was owned by Ramada,so we were hoping things hadn't changed too much.
The staff on reception are helpfull and greeted us with a smile,check in was smooth and easy.
We use this hotel as a base for shopping in the city center as its nice to relax in the health suite after carrying shopping bags all day.
The breakfast is just the best with a good choice of cererals, fruit juice and yogurts and the cooked breakfast is fantastic,the staff in the resturant are very polite and friendly and quick to ask if we wanted more tea,coffee or toast.
To sum up the hotel had changed but for the better the addition of air conditioning in the room is very welcome it does get hot in the rooms in summer.
Thanks for a pleasant stay.
The price we paid was the best ever at this hotel at £60.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary P
Stuart C, General Manager at Mercure Norwich Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review, it is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback, especially from a guest who has been staying with us for a while. I hope that we can continue to make your stays as pleasurable and as memorable as possible for many years to come. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

First and foremost the reception and bar staff were very pleasant and helpful check in and out was very swift. The young servers at breakfast need a little more training, they tried there best but seemed unsure of what they needed to be doing. Breakfast was very nice. Our room was most certainty not 4* it was a standard double which needed a complete make over and a new bath the baths enamel had all but disappeared hence the bath having that grey dirty look. Its nice to have bottled water and bathroom toiletries. I also asked reception for non feather pillows and was told by a member of housekeeping they had non to give me as there was a limited amount and that other guests must have them, and in any case there feather pillows are non allergy she has no idea why I cannot tolerate feathers. I had to sleep with the spare towels folded as make shift pillows. The evening meal in the restaurant was acceptable but nothing special, ate out the second evening. Drinks in the bar very expensive we had two shorts with mixers (singles) and it cost £9.80. I will not be returning.

Stayed: April 2012
3  Thank mrsozzyis

Thank you for the kind comments you made regarding our staff, we have put a great deal of effort into staff training recently, and it is really paying off. I am sorry that your room was below the standard that you expected, but we are currently undergoing a refurbishment programme to be completed by the middle of next year. I have today ordered an extra stock of non feather pillows, so hopefully we will never run out again. Thank you once again for your positive remarks about our staff, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

We had booked this hotel as part of a Wahanda deal which included the stay for one night, 3 course dinner, breakfast and access to the health club.

The staff was very friendly on arrival and we found the room very acceptable in terms of cleanliness and space. Bed was comfortable, only one minus: no extra blanket to put on top of the very thin duvet if you feel a bit chilly.

After checking in, we headed for the health club. Again, very friendly staff, gave us towels and lockers (£1 deposit) and we had a swim. The pool is much smaller than the pictures let on, therefore while we were alone there it was good, but as soon as two families arrived with their kids, we left the pool as it would have become very crowded and impossible to have a swim.

The health club has a good jaccuzzi and sauna/steam room, as well as a gym.

We then headed for a drink to the bar which was over-priced (£10 for a pint and a WKD bottle!) and the space provided to relax, well, not very relaxing, quite formal and does not make you want to hang around if you are a couple or a family with kids.

We booked a table for the restaurant that night to enjoy our 3 course dinner. First we were sat at a dirty table which we had to ask to be cleaned. Then the waitress arrived and didn't ask what we wanted to drink. It soon became obvious the staff could do with more customer service training. We eventually had to ask for drinks by repeatedly trying to attract someone's attention, as the waiters were going around completely oblivious to customers.

The menu for our deal was very basic food, nothing special, and when the starters arrived, it became even clearer that because we were on a deal, they had kept it very simple and cheap. We felt that the standard was very low compared to the people around us eating on the normal menu. My starter was so small that I finished it in two mouthfuls. The fish was equally very tiny compared to the customer eating next to me who had a massive serving on his plate, and obviously was not on a pre-bought deal. My dessert portion was so ridiculously small that it made me laugh.

The breakfast the next morning was a success, fortunately, The buffet was well garnished and varied. When we saw the price of it, we were stunned: £14.95 !! We were so glad we were on a deal at that stage, as we would have never paid this amount of money for this kind of breakfast!

Overall, our stay could have been better, I strongly suspect that were we not on a pre-bought deal, we would have been treated better at the restaurant, but then again, we would never have paid the full price asked for the rooms and food as this is well over-priced for what you get.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Celine M

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and particularly the warm reception that you received at our hotel. I apologise that this level of service did not continue into the restaurant, but I can assure you that portion sizes are not dictated by their inclusion on our TDH menu. I will however investigate your comments in particular and have discussed the service issues with my Food and Beverage Manager. Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the quality breakfast we provide; most of our guests stay on rates inclusive of breakfast, but we do also offer the opportunity of buying breakfast at a reduced rate on arrival at the hotel. Thank you once again for mentioning the warmth of your reception, it is most gratifying to hear.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have been staying in here for many years and I guarantee you will feel part of the family. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff. To be greeted at reception by Craig who knows your favourte room and what paper you requre really shows how dedicated these people are to making a difference to your stay no matter what purpose. The restaurant has a good variety of food and again Chef will rustle you something up if you really can't find anything. Rooms and spacious and very comfortable but mind the showers they are powerful. A lot of money has been spent here. Worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask to go on the first floor with a room on the back row as the hotel is on a busy road these rooms...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dianne A

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very proud of my staff and it is our aim to exceed our guests' expectations with regards to friendly and helpful service. I am delighted that you feel 'part of the family' and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.