All reviews leisure facilities national holidays gym and swimming pool would stay again weekend break couldn't fault tea coffee full english excellent value for money breakfast was excellent disco
Reviewed 6 September 2018

Stayed on a two night break with National Holidays, where because of the price we pay we don't always get the best room. This however was quite spacious, ensuite a shower over the bath, didn't use the shower prefer a bath with lots of hot water, I wasn't disappointed and a big fluffy white bath sheet to wrap up in afterwards, much better that silly little bath towels.
Our room was about as far away from reception and bar as you could get, with a view over the car park nice and quiet so a good nights sleep both nights. I discovered how lucky we were on the Sunday morning as a wedding reception took place in the hotel ballroom until 2am on Saturday evening which meant guests situated near to the amenities where kept awake until the last of the wedding guests left.
To get from our room to the bar, restaurant and back we had to go outside and walk along a covered passageway through smokers, not very nice, plus it was a cold and damp weekend.
No complaints at all about the breakfast, love my Full English Buffet when not at home. For the evening meal you had to tick off a menu on arrival or the day before. As you went in for the meal you were given back your menu and on one evening told where to sit the next left to sit wherever.
I suppose the meal was a sort of buffet? Waiter service for starter and dessert, however, for the main course you handed your menu to a lady serving the meat/fish or whatever and a few potatoes then you helped yourself to vegetables. My main complaint here is two evening I had fish, both covered in bread crumbs and dry, I don't mind fish in bread crumbs or batter, but I either misunderstood the menu or I must learn to read because I didn't expect bread crumbs on the second evening.
My other complaint is we discovered on the last evening that the hair dryer didn't work, too late to complain.
Would I return? I think not, wasn't happy with the evening meal but mainly because of the complaints from other guests about the noise from the wedding reception.

Stayed: August 2018
Dean L, General Manager at Middlesbrough Hotel - Sporting Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Thank you for your review.

it was great to read your comments on the towels I agree the places that have those postage stamp type towels should not bother you need a proper sized towel.
We do hold wedding at the hotel and do try and ensure those guests not attending the function are not allocated near but this is not always possible. The function room is not connected to the bedroom area but guests attending will be also staying overnight. the evening meal has three course with three choices and is different if you are on a two night stay. You have not stated when you stayed so I am unable to comment on the food items.

If you did decide to stay again you can always request a quite room and then would be able to choose from our main restaurant menu if you were staying as part of a tour

kind regards

Dean

Reviewed 27 August 2018

We went there on a National Holidays weekend visiting Durham and Whitby as part of the trip. It was a good standard overnight stop with confortalbe rooms and breakfast. If you fancy sports there’s plenty to do.

Stayed: June 2018
1  Thank LoinerLes
Reviewed 25 August 2018

Quick and welcoming check in, polite and informative lady on reception.
Went to the room on the first floor, the corridors were well lit and clean.
We had a family room and the size was ok, but it would be a bit small if you sat in the room all day. Bathroom was a bit dated and the shower was difficult to set up at the right temperature.
very clean and lovely white crisp sheets.
Used the pool facilities, which again was nice and clean. We took our own towels and was asked "do you want to use our towels to save taking home wet stuff" which we did, very thoughtful.
Post house bar was as expected expensive, but there was nowhere else around, the barmaid was not happy but polite enough.
Breakfast was very good for the money, buffet style which was hot and tasty. Staff where lovely made the effort to help and took time to chat.
Would use again and at the price very good value.

Room Tip: pay for the breakfast good value and no more expensive than outside in town
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

After checking out early from an awful stay In Wales I needed somewhere cheap for my 8 year old daughter and my elderly mum to stay....the staff were very kind and pleasant which was lovely to finally see....the pool was amazing and could swim up to 9pm which my daughter and mum enjoyed. If I had the money I would love to come back for another stay

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank Emmaplayer
Reviewed 13 August 2018

We booked our rooms as we were at a wedding closeby. 4 rooms booked - 1 family 3 twin - when we got to hotel to check in around 4 were told they were doubles and they could only change 1 to twin. All rooms were at different corners of the hotel, very very basic. Lots of in accompanied teenagers running up and down corridoes throwing cups outside then climbing out of windows to pick them up
Breakfast OMG IT WAS LIKE A BUN FIGHT. Made to wait10 minutes as there was 6 of us for a table but when we were taken around at least 6 tables empty. Not much choice for cooked very basic. Everything on both cold and hot was empty despite it being 9.30am. Had to ask for cups, cutterly etc
Wont recommend this hotel and wot stay again

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family