“Amazing!”

Ranked #177 of 25,305 Restaurants in London
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Not only was the food amazing value for money, it tasted fantastic! The service was 10/10 and will definitely be returning again!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

A lovely sunny day out with my mum was made even more lovely when we dropped into Flat Iron, Covent Garden to have lunch. I knew we couldn’t book, so we chose to turn up earlier rather than later, in case there was a wait. But luckily, as it was a Thursday lunchtime it wasn’t too busy and we got seated immediately.

We were sat on a canteen-style table, long with stools either side, so we were very close to other diners. Personally, it didn’t bother me, as I love the chance to interact with new people, but perhaps not ideal if you’re on a first date or with someone hard of hearing.

The joy of this place is the strictly limited menu. It’s hard when a menu has so many different options, right?- Do I want pasta? Oh, but the chicken looks good! Then again, that fish dish sounds fancy... - Here, you have a very select choice, but that’s because what little they do they absolutely NAIL IT!

We ordered our flat iron steaks rare and medium rare, plus a side of fries, creamed spinach and aubergine and Parmesan dish. We also ordered a couple of gin and tonic cocktails (with rose and pomegranate). Service was quick, friendly and genuinely warm. Mum and I both observed that the staff looked cheerful to be working there, always a good sign.

Let me just say, DAMN, the bar here makes a mean G&T! They were so good we ordered two more.

Food arrived and, naturally, I whipped out my phone to snap a quick pic for Instagram. The steak cut like butter! I loved the cool knives too, fashioned like mini cleavers. The rave reviews about the creamed spinach aren’t wrong, it’s heavenly and the aubergine is so moreish. The fries are cooked in beef dripping, which makes them crunchy and so tasty.

This place isn’t super cheap, but we were happy with the bill as we felt confident we’d got good value for money. And, I’m a believer that you need to pay a fair amount for a good steak.

What topped off a fab meal was the waiter telling us that as we left, we could show our receipt to the stand at the entrance and get a free ice cream (caramel dipped in dark chocolate flakes).

10/10 result! Definitely recommend.

1  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Incredible experience and food! The service was great also. My husband is a huge meat eater and I’m a vegetarian yet they were still accommodating to me. He loved the flank steak and they made me aubergine (eggplant). It was delicious. Even better yet for dessert was salted caramel ice cream with dark chocolate shavings (ice cream included for free!). Highly recommend and the prices are reasonable as well.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This restaurant has quickly become our go to spot, the food is excellent, the staff are friendly and the price is cheap. Cant recommend enough!

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Our first visit having found it on Yelp. A different experience: long wait but incredibly quick service, great steak and fries and altogether delicious.
Now we know how it works next time we’ll check in earlier and go shopping ho ho.