“Second time wasn't a charm” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Big Easy - Chelsea

Big Easy - Chelsea
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Easy - Chelsea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #832 of 21,825 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 39 - US$ 49
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Groups, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Chelsea
Cross street: Paultons Square
Transit: Bus 11, 19 and 22. 20 minute walk from Sloane Square and South Kensington Underground Stations
London, United Kingdom
“Second time wasn't a charm”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Ok. So I went in March for my birthday and was so disappointed they didn't have anymore crab at the time I went (got ribs and it was decent) and then the next time I went the wait time was two hours so I just left. So then I went again solo and to be honest I am not sure whether or not I will return.

Let me break it down:

Pros
Flavor of food/sauces within themselves were very good
Vanilla milkshake was great. Most British places, no offense make awful watery shakes, and supposed to be thick.
They were flexible. I made reservations for "1" and was late and was able to seat me immediately.

Cons:
My clam chowder had raw potatoes!! I was asked "if I was sure" but HELLO, cooked boiled potatoes should NOT be crunchy. They eventually said chef tasted it and I was right. Why would I lie? They brought it out a bit later and they got it right that time, yummy flavor.

I SPECIFICALLY requested for the milkshake to come out the same time as my main course and had water in the interim. I repeated this THREE TIMES to the manager that took my order in my waiter's absence (I definitely felt ignored; took ages for my order to be taken). A third guy who was not the waiter or the manager who took my main course order brought it out. He asked me what did I want him to do. DUH take it back and learn to communicate! Clearly my food wasn't coming out soon! No coordination, communication and organization within the staff. He said he would grab a manager BUT HE DIDN'T. I had to do this myself. They brought back a new one when my food came out.

Then it took 50 minutes to get my food.

I had the crabshack combo and I am sorry the texture of the crab was very strange. It didn't taste fresh. It tasted like something that was either frozen and then cooked therefore having a weird consistency or like something that was already cooked and reheated. They insisted it was fresh- but I have my doubts. I will be nice and say I wouldn't try the crab again!

The shrimp was slightly undercooked.

The meal description said it came with steamed potatoes!! They gave me four of the smallest potatoes on earth. Why bother? It was ridiculous! LITERALLY FOUR beenie Quarter sized (if that) potatoes! If it is rationed and served as a garnish why make it seem like a part of the main??

I hate to sound like a diva but a lot of these UK restaurants need to come to America and learn about adequate customer service. Appalling is an understatement. Don't know whatcha got til its gone. I still love Europe overall though.

Bottom line, I most likely will not return here before my permanent departure in a few months. It is too expensive to have such poor service quality and questionable food.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank freespirit20
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
Santa Eulalia del Rio, Spain
“Great meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Myself and my girlfriend when here on 11/07/12 and had a really lovely time. It was extremely busy with the wait being around 45 mins if you hadn't booked. The front of house were very polite and 'smiley' showing us to the bar where there was a 241 deal on. The chilled ice drinks were very nice and two margaritas for £7.45 was reasonable.

The meal was very nice and everything was quick and efficent. The burger I requested came perfectly rare and the blue cheese sauce was delicious. My girlfriend chose the chicken burger served without a bun and a small green salad insted. The mixed onion rings and chips side was fine, crispy and full of flavour.

The interior is fun, trendy and qurky. Overall we had a good time. BUT remember to book!

1 Thank AManInEivissa
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced Dreadful Food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Took my son here on the 9th of July for his birthday it was very very very disappointing the food was dreadful cold and greasy the service was terrible totally overpriced the place needs a good clean wished l had gone to Sticky Fingers a terrible place which l would not recommend to anyone

, Manager at Big Easy - Chelsea, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Big Easy would like to comment on the review above by proudly stating that the The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and it's inspectors awarded the highest possible formal assessment for Big Easy's food hygiene and standard of cleanliness, the coveted '' Scores on Doors '' . Our award was announced in June 2012 and rates Big Easy as a 5 star venue ..... the highest award possible ...look it up on their web site for further details!

As for the comment overpriced dreadful food, we are sorry to hear that this is your opinion. We believe the over two million people dining at Big Easy can't be wrong and with fresh Maine 2 lb lobsters, fries, salad and a free margarita or beer at £19.50 we challenge anyone in London to offer better value! Please do see other reviews on this website to hear our other customers thoughts.

At Big Easy we pride ourselves in each and every customer leaving feeling happy, with every member of staff in the restaurant working towards this goal, and are very sorry that you felt that this did not happen on this occasion.
Windsor
“Always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

I have been going to the Big Easy for 20 years now. Great atmosphere, great food and the service always comes with a smile. I highly recommend the place for; ribs, burgers, shellfish, fajitas, milkshakes and a little bit of USA.

• Visited June 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Loved this place, highly recommended for fantastic food and setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

The food is fantastic, the prices reasonable, and the setting just fantastic. Really buzzy atmosphere and great service. Can't recommend this place highly enough, excellent ribs, steak, prawns and crab.

Definitely worth booking, it's busy busy (testament to how good this place is).

• Visited June 2012