“most authentic izakaya in London”
Review of Tomoe

Tomoe
Ranked #2,104 of 25,296 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 26 - US$ 59
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We will be closed for summer holidays the first 2 weeks of August, reopening Wednesday 15th August. We apologise for any inconvenience!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I have lived in Japan for 5 years and am very confident to say that i know what dish is good among Japanese food. I went to Tomoe last Friday, I was so moved by the menu as they were so many dishes you could only find in Japan, but we saw in TOMOE. On top of that I tried the dished, I was speechless, how tasty they were. I have been in London for 14 years and have never found any authentic Izakaya like TOMOE.

2  Thank MeiR86

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We have become regulars and years in we are still to experience a bad meal in terms of food or service - honest and simple Japanese food fairly priced.

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

There really is no better place in Putney for high quality, fresh sushi. Maki in particular worthy of mention. Great to see it busy.

Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

Haven’t been here since one time after the legendary cho San sold up. It was shocking then & just as bad now. I’m pretty sure the chef & ingredients are NOT Japanese !!
The sushi is ok. Nothing special. The chicken yaki tori is cheap cuts thrown together with an unknown sauce.
The chicken karage is cooked in a strange & unJapanese way. Never seen it like this before & had very little taste. The gyoza was soggy on the bottom.
If ur looking for traditional Japanese look elsewhere.
Ps I lived in japan for 10 yrs so expected a lot more. Very disappointed!!!

2  Thank Danny F
Reviewed 22 October 2017

I went here last weekend with my Japanese wife and we weren't particularly impressed. It has a very genuine feel in terms of the size of the place and décor but it's actually a bit scruffy if not grubby.
The salad arrived a good 15 mins before the food and the service was very slow. They only had one chef and the place was busy, Not good when you need to get food out quickly. It's about a 3 min walk from Putney Station. Oh yes, they serve that horrible Japanese version of sauce tartare with boiled egg in it.
I doubt we'll go bac as it's expensive for what you get.

1  Thank Komakino66