“Only if needs be....”

Ranked #720 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Only if needs be....”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Late review (sorry!) - I stayed here back in November for my friends 21st as a group of us were going to Ministry of Sound for a night out.The area is run down and the hotel in a good proximity to the club, however was quite far from the tube station so it was easier to take buses back in to central London rather than drag our suitcases and walk for 20 odd minutes.

We didn't spend much time in the area nor the hotel but the rooms were clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities, large TV, a great hot power shower and large bathroom. Although it is situated on a busy road and our room was facing this, the windows kept all the noise out so we all got a good few hours sleep! Although the area seemed very run down I felt very safe in the hotel even though we were coming back in the early hours.

Would recommend if you need to be in the area for a night but don't expect too much for the price you pay for it....!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank EmilyAnna1990
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Stayed here for one night on business trip. Hotel is nice and clean and quite new about 3 years old. Room was very comfy with large widescreen tv. Rooms at the back were very quiet with very little noise. Parking at back is £15 per day. Surrounding area is not great and bit scruffy. Chinese attached to hotel served nice food though. Otherwise Its probably worth jumping on a bus. Would be a good base for a weekend trip to London.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Neil H
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I have to travel to London regularly and had previously stayed at the Aldgate East Travel Lodge (which was awful)...this Hotel however was a great find! My room was huge for a single traveller (I had booked on Late Rooms), the bathroom had a bath and a shower and my room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. The staff were very friendly and inviting and the hotel was pretty quiet which is rare for such a large one. A bonus was the secure car park attached to the hotel (a £10 charge but well worth it as you can walk from the car park straight in to the hotel). The dining room for breakfast however, was very small and felt very claustrophobic and dingy but I managed to get a table on the 3 occasions I stayed. I'm not sure the breakfast is worth the £10 they are charging but on balance the hotel was consistently good in every other respect.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank 186259Donna
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

AVOID - firstly I am a local and run a theatre a few miles away and was shocked when discovered they call themselves Tower Bridge - it is nowhere near Tower Bridge, it is on the Old Kent Road. 2 miles away in one of the most crime ridden areas of London. My experience was that I was booking a hotel for some of my actors, our usual hotel in Greenwich was full, so search internet and this one came up. Thought £99 for a douible in TOWER BRIDGE was great value and and called to book the room for that evening. The reservation clark said I had to confirm the booking with a email, which I did as paying with our company card. I tried t give him the card details but he said, I has to come in person and pay as they will not confirm with cards (I wanted to make the full payment at the time). Tried to tell them that I was a business and the customers will not actually be me so cannnot just travel to them to make a payment in person. They said they must do it this way. So I ended up giving the clients the money in cash and told them to pay for the hotel when they arrived. Once at the hotel, they called to say that the hotel is no where near Tower Bridge and not near any tube or train and had to get there from the actual bridge by taxi. It was then I looked up the actual venue address and knew what a bad area it was in. Worst, they had accepted the cash but the hotel still insisited on a credit card which they did not have so made me drive to them to give them mine. Which I had to do, to. Stupid rules and no parking outside.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank comedypilot
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Giving it four stars for what it is - cheap accommodation by London standards, don't go expecting a four star hotel. It isn't a place I would recommend as a base for a holiday either as it's not the best area for seeing London from. I stopped over here for one night when working South of the River.

The area is not great, Old Kent Road is pretty run down. Parking was reasonably secure, clean and comfortable-ish rooms, reception OK, polite enough staff but not brimming with enthusiasm. The shower was OK but I agree with what others have said about it not draining quickly enough. Quite a bit of noise from the street, sirens were the main thing (I was on the top floor) but acceptable bearing in mind it's location (it was a Tuesday, not a weekend). Rooms at the back are much quieter, my colleague stayed in one and had a quiet night, so see if you can request one.

The Chinese attached to the hotel Shu Castle, was pukka - really great food not your normal Cantonese fayre - proper Szechuan food, a real adventure. We were going to trek off for a curry but in the end went to the chinese and it was a great decision. We then wandered out to look for a nice little pub and decided after 3 or 4 mins walk that a 'nice pub' on Old Kent Road was probably wishful thinking and walked back (maybe we went the wrong way?)- the hotel has a little bar in reception anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back, it seems much quieter.