“Will be back! Good food and angry waiting staff!”
Review of Wong Kei

Wong Kei
Ranked #9,058 of 23,971 Restaurants in London
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 28 May 2021 via mobile

Staff seemed really angry and clearly all hated customers with a passion. One team member was having an argument with a customer! However I found this rather comical. Think Chinese Fawlty Towers!
No politeness from them at all, however the food was reasonably priced, a fair standard for the price, generous portion, arrived promptly and the complimentary tea was very enjoyable.
We will return (-:

Date of visit: April 2021
Write a reviewReviews (1,865)

Reviewed 31 December 2020

I’m not sure what the bad reviews I’ve read are about. I’ve been going to Wong Kei for many years. The tradition is that the staff are meant to be rude. The regulars are well aware of that. Recently the rudeness is at a much lower level than before, but that is the fun thing about going there. I personally love their food. It is authentic and served hot. I think the service is probably on apar to how one would get treated in China, in a similar type of restaurant. If you want to eat in a restaurant where you get treated like royalty, then those kind of places are available at a high cost. Wong Kei for me is down to earth with honest food. Thank you to the staff there who’s always ready for whatever. Gx

Date of visit: December 2020
10  Thank Jierda
Reviewed 12 December 2020

First lockdown
I went to the restaurant after 1st lockdown with friends and a friend who organised the meal knew the owner and everything went well.Almost perfect.
Second lockdown
Now
I went with a friend today. We both did not know the owner and the food was disappointing. The staff a young guy either fron China or Hong Kong
definitely not from Malaysia or Singapore was ignoring us whenever we called. The 3 variety of food we ordered was not supplied with spoons. They expected us to eat with the same spoon and share the food without fresh spoons for each dish. I had to wait 5 minutes for each spoon. The waiter completely ignored us. The food was not brilliant. Surprise the wonton soup was so watery tasteless. Service appalling.
Did not feel the rules of Covid 19. was followed strictly.
Disappointing and upset the way we were treated.

Date of visit: December 2020
2  Thank Indra3210
Reviewed 19 October 2020

Have been here a number of times over the last 10 years and just checked the rating according to TA out of curiosity, genuinely shocked it has such a decent rating. Only reason for coming back was it was part of a work social event moving on elsewhere after... food is edible, but possibly worst chinese food I've ever had and wouldnt recommend or pay for it

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank Zoë H
Reviewed 17 October 2020 via mobile

Service was abysmal and the food was okay. We couldn't have the lobster which was disappointing! And the waiter at one point told us to shut up! Just shocking!

Date of visit: October 2020