“Great food, great staff”

Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Laughing Gravy Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #299 of 24,261 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$ 2 - US$ 49
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tucked away between offices and shops on Blackfriars Road, The Laughing Gravy restaurant is one of the capital���s best kept secrets. Laid back and informal, The Laughing Gravy offers a comfortable setting and friendly, efficient service ��� a must in the demanding local market. So settle in and prepare to enjoy the very best seasonal, fresh food featuring some of Britain���s best known and well loved specialties. Head chef Michael Facey, is known for his dedication to great ingredients and has worked alongside chefs such as John Torode and Mark Hix. Facey has carefully sourced the finest produce from the highest quality suppliers for The Laughing Gravy menu, even taking herbs and vegetables straight from the next door community garden.
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I loved the food, the staff was very friendly and understood our needs immediately, no repeating instructions after the first time. The only con is the noise: the place is quite popular and, at times, is hard to have a conversation with your fellow diners

1  Thank SilviaPer

Reviewed 25 July 2012

We have recently eaten here as a group and I have to say from the previous reviews I was expecting great things and unfortunately for the majority it was average. The Lamb apparently was very nice but maybe alot rarer that most would have liked so some went back.
The Burgers were being sent back as they were luke warm etc...
I think if they may have struggled because of the size of the group.
The ambiance was lovely and it is certainly not as big as you think from the website so definately book in advance if you are in the area.

2  Thank jane01030
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Used this restaurant for a business lunch today with colleagues from the States, friendly accommodating waiter and one of the best salads I've ever tasted. Everyone's food was super tasy and the team couldn't do enough to help. Attentive without being intrusive, thanks. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Jools68Ely
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I just love this restaurant. I travel a lot both Nationally and Internationally and have eaten in many restaurants – I still rate The Laughing Gravy as one of my favourites anywhere. It’s not just the food, or the service or the ambiance, it’s all of those together, which seem to have a magic which makes for a great evening . I have returned on many occasions and never been disappointed. My wife shares the same opinion.
We find that we walk in and feel cared for, always met by one of the friendly team who make us feel very welcome. We generally have a delicious pre-dinner drink in the cosy bar which has shelves of books for clients to borrow and take away or read in the bar if they are so inclined. From the bar there is a great view of the restaurant with its gorgeous central domed light set into the atrium –giving a great effect. The tables are not too close together, further enhancing the feeling that they really do want you there to have a good time rather than packing in as many clients as possible to increase their turnover. We have never felt rushed over our meal and the food has always been delicious. Last time I had the asparagus for a starter which was beautifully presented with lemon poached egg, micro herb salad and citrus dressing – a great combination.
I am particularly partial to the pot-roasted corn fed chicken breast and find it hard to resist having it each time. Had it on our last visit and it was as good as ever. It is impossible for me to resist the hand cut triple cooked chips, which taste so different to ones that are just thrown into oil for a quick fry.
Then the desserts. They have all been great, last time I had the chocolate brownies – melted in the mouth!
There is an excellently priced wine list with a good choice and a reasonable price range. Staff are very helpful in choosing both the food and wine.
Whilst I have read a review mentioning loud music, we have never found it so, I think the music adds to the ambiance and atmosphere.
It is very easy to get to from Central London – 10 minutes, Bond Street to Southwark and a few minutes walk – well worth it.
All in all a wonderful find, I guess you would have to be in a bad mood not to enjoy it!
Sam

3  Thank Sam C
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I've been to the Laughing Gravy quite a few times and as a local independant restaurant goes I love it. The menu could do with a shake up every so often but what they serve is honest, locally sourced good quality food.

The cocktails are fabulous and well priced and the wine list won't break the bank. The staff are a great addition and are unendlessly pleasant and up beat.

Yes its not in the heart of town, but if you're travelling from Blackfriars, London Waterloo or even London Bridge its worth going to.

1  Thank ALSLLondon